Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wisdom teeth

You're 18, its your choice

Some of mine came in, but they were kinda hollow, so they chipped really easily a lot at first. Quite disconcerting. But now they're ground down and they don't cause any trouble anymore. It probably sounds bad but it's not. I can have them removed at my leisure now. I just ... Don't wanna do it alone, 'cause of course if you get knocked out, you get sent home still seriously disoriented. But I really don't want my family watching out for me... If only I had friends ^_^ I'm sure all drugged up I'd be pretty amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Reles With A Hat
    I have all 4 of them that need to be taken out. And I'm scared for my life, I've never had surgery, and my parents just want me on numbing medication instead of knocking me out entirely. And I don't like the idea of being awake and hearing the drill, I could potentially see myself going nuts and kicking the doctor, because things like that freak me out. I don't care if I can feel it, I would imagine up some pain in my mouth with the sound. So I'm going to tell my parents that I want to be asleep during the procedure.
    Reles, they took me to surgery 11 hours ago and they put me under total narcose (I really hope you get total narcose too). There is nothing to it; when they go to your room, they take your bed, you have to wait 10 minutes, then a nurse comes with an infuse (thing with the sack of fluid = sugar water or plasma), wait another 10 minutes, they take you to room where they operate you and they ask if you sit and lay down on the surgery table, doctor adds the narcose via the infuse (no pain), 10 seconds later you get dizzy, you hear a buzzing/cracking noise as if you watching a disconnected tv-channel where there is the snow, and your knocked out.

After surgery (45 - 75 minutes) you wake up in a hall close to surgery room, you have 2 woolen balls = kind of tampons in your mouth, you can see some doctors, when they see you've regained consciousness they bring you back to your room. After 15 minutes a nurse takes those
    balls out of your mouthand give you a bag of cold gel to keep it on your cheeks so they don't get swollen. Half an hour later nurse comes with you to go to the toilet. Half an hour later they bring you a glass of coke (to keep the mouth cool). And another hour later, the nurse checks on you again; if you seem fine you can go home after the doctor who performed the surgery checks up on you. If you still seem a little disoriented, he comes again in an hour. => home free!

As you can see, this is like nothing, I have no pain, no blood spitting (depends from person to person). I actually enjoyed my first time in surgery! I would go in your place if I were able to.

It all comes down to this: do not make the same mistake like me. It is not scary.

Entered hospital: 11:00 hours.
    Exited hospital: 15:00 hours.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Don't listen to IceT about the surgery. Surgery and practices after are different for every hospital and every doctor.

In one hosptial I was forced to stay at least and hour after surgery before going home.
    At another I was able to go the minute I woke up.

In one hopital I didn't see the doctor at all.
    In the other I saw the doctor before and after surgery.

This was the same doctor and only a month apart between surgerys.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    Don't listen to IceT about the surgery. Surgery and practices after are different for every hospital and every doctor.

In one hosptial I was forced to stay at least and hour after surgery before going home.
    At another I was able to go the minute I woke up.

In one hopital I didn't see the doctor at all.
    In the other I saw the doctor before and after surgery.

This was the same doctor and only a month apart between surgerys.
    Why shouldn't he/she listen to me? I'm just telling my experience with this surgery. Surgery is always different: some people have allergies to certain medicine, or have heart/liver/lung problems so the doctors apply medicine to the person in the situation they are. I never said that above procedure was a fact.

But normally (and this is quite logical) they keep you there two hours after the surgery to get acquainted to things. Maybe you're still dizzy, or disoriented/confused or you're bleeding pretty bad. If they'd sent you home straight after surgery and you suddenly faint on the floor outside isn't good either.

My dentist just brought this subject up to me, and he said that my mouth is large enough to let me keep my wisdom teeth.

No surgery for me!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IceT
    Why shouldn't he/she listen to me? I'm just telling my experience with this surgery. Surgery is always different: some people have allergies to certain medicine, or have heart/liver/lung problems so the doctors apply medicine to the person in the situation they are. I never said that above procedure was a fact.

But normally (and this is quite logical) they keep you there two hours after the surgery to get acquainted to things. Maybe you're still dizzy, or disoriented/confused or you're bleeding pretty bad. If they'd sent you home straight after surgery and you suddenly faint on the floor outside isn't good either.
    Because that information should come from the doctor and hospital attended about what they will do. That is why.

If your dizzy that is fine. If you are disoriented and confused then you are not fit to go home. If you are bleeding badly then you are not fit to go home. I said some hospitals require you to stay there for at least and hour or two before release and others let you go right away. I thought it was obvious that no hospital would release you if you were not fit to leave.