Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII

Quote Originally Posted by dynek
    the characters make you remenber dragon ball characters
    Cause, believe it or not, its the same DBZ artist, Akira Toriyama.

Toriyama has done a good little bit of work for Square in the past, and i think some people fail to recognize that he did Chrono Trigger also.
    How I mine for fish!?

Which FF Character Are You?

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always thought it fairly obvious that the same guy did Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger.

His art style is easily recognizable. Its sad, but I've heard so many people crying foul because DQ8 characters look like his work. Um, hello? He's been designing these characters since the beginning, hasn't he? If you look at official art from any game its all the same fair. Only difference is the video games themselves couldn't represent the art style (same problem with Amano and old 2D FFs). Now it's finally the way he invisioned it, the way it's supposed to be, and has supposed to have been all along, and people are mad or confused? Quite odd. I'll say I like the look of the game. Just not into the whole dubious amounts of random encounters and leveling up stuff. But I may check out the game someday

It's annoying playing with Angelo and remembering Trunks.... Toriyama doesn't have good characters, he has one, Goku, the rest of them have different hair styles.

And Amano's FF character concepts all look alike. Yes, we've had this discussion many times. I guess artists aren't allowed to have trademark styles. Yes they can do different things, but then the more dedicated fans would cry foul. I think they're going for the appreciation thing

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I guess that since I never watched anything Dragon Ball related, it didn't bother me that much that the art style was similar.

One thing is "that guy reminds me of someone.....", this is normal, the problem is when it's like "WTF is Trunks doing in my party!? Why is he with gray hair? Look, there goes Vegeta...."

Default DQ

It doesn't bother me at all that it has some similarites to Dragon Ball characters. Yah, Angelo looks like Trunks and the hero looks like Goku when at full tension but hey, he looks awesome at full tension. Over all the graphics are nice.
    How I mine for fish!?

Which FF Character Are You?

Yes. That is awesome. Though I was somewhat disappointed when none of the other characters had the same reaction to Super High Tension as the Hero.

My original beef with the game was having to travel all the way back to town and pay outrageous fees for resurrecting my characters. That went away the very second that Angelo learned Zing! Now my main concerns lie with accumulating vasts amount of wealth and treasure.

. . . and yeah, at first, I thought it was weird how the character designs were so similar to Dragon Ball. The Hero kind of looks like Gohan or someone. I don't care though. I mean, personally, I don't prefer the Dragon Ball art style to begin with, but I'm not bothered by it or by being reminded of it.

Also, I was annoyed with that huge world you have to walk if you wanna all the treasures, but I just got that magical ship and now it's quite fun.

Is there some kind of transport later in the game? Something that works like a chocobo? Coz if there is I'll leave the treasure hunting for later on.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by dragoonknight_kain
    Also, I was annoyed with that huge world you have to walk if you wanna all the treasures, but I just got that magical ship and now it's quite fun.

Is there some kind of transport later in the game? Something that works like a chocobo? Coz if there is I'll leave the treasure hunting for later on.
    you do get the ability to fly, which is the only way to get some of the better equipment/items in the game. (not to mention neccesary to complete the game...)

Thanks. I suppose that's faster than walking on that wilderness.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You also get a Sabrecat later on. It allows you to travel much faster, but you can still get attacked and you can't get anywhere that you couldn't before on foot. It's kind of neat, but not all that useful.

The zoom spell is still preferable to getting around when compared to flying, in my opinion. Flying is only useful for getting to areas that you can't otherwise gain access to. Otherwise, it's fairly clunky and takes to much time to load up. A quick zoom spell is much more efficient.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

you only have to do a short sidequest to get the sabrecat, but would you really want to walk through argonia? *shudders*

plus its a kitty! he cant be called anywhere though, like in empycchu...okay, you probably arent that far yet, nevermind

yes, but like the above post said, flying is only for getting through some parts of the story, and reaching places that you couldnt get to without it. (if there are thick white clouds, then its a place reachable only by flying.)