Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This whole emo thing...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default This whole emo thing...

I'm from the UK/Germany so I need to ask about this.
    I know what emo means (kinda), but is it a new term? Why is it such an insult to like emotionally charged punk music all of a sudden? Is there actually any difference to being an emo and a goth (the emotional part of it I mean)?
    So some guy comes up with the term emo, and now countless more people will be bullied in US schools, along with nerds (mabye they'll get a break), whats up with that? Seems like this just came out of the blue. At least, I've never heard of the term until like two weeks ago. Fashional bullying maybe?

If any of that made any sort of sense to you, consult your doctor or chemist immediately.

Where i live (south england), it's not the fact "they're emo", it's the clothes that go with it that get insulted so much. The outfits that the boys thing just has connotations with homosexuality and though i live in the gay capital of england homophobia is still quite rife. As with many cases such as these, the female "emos" seem unaffected by this namecalling, and you'll often hear "check out that fit one, but look at her queer boyfriend". Maybe i'm reading to much into this, it might just be the fact that bullies just want to find any group to pick on, whether it "geeks" or "emos", it's anyone i tend to find.
    As the difference, i honestly don't know.

It's been around for a year or two now. Emo kids stereotypically and are the "oh the world will never understand me im an angst teenager im more complex than you think MOM get off my back i'll cut myself because everybody hates me give me attention more more more cry cry look i wear girl jeans even though I'm a boy im so emo" type. THey also listen to Dashboard COnfessional and have stupid hair.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy McAwesome
    It's been around for a year or two now. Emo kids stereotypically and are the "oh the world will never understand me im an angst teenager im more complex than you think MOM get off my back i'll cut myself because everybody hates me give me attention more more more cry cry look i wear girl jeans even though I'm a boy im so emo" type. THey also listen to Dashboard COnfessional and have stupid hair.
    Surely this is my point?

They can wear what they want, the thing is that the "emos" in my college seem to think they're the [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] (excuse my language which will be replaced by skulls) and that they're way cooler than everyone else because of their scene. I wouldn't personally consider them 'emo' for being like this but then again I was never a fan of this labelling stuff anyway.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Basically emo has two meanings. It used to be emotive hardcore back in the day, but now emo music is basically whiny music like Linkin Park and Dashboard Confessionals. It can also be used to described whiny teenagers who think the world hates them and are always sad and are like "DAD I HAET U BECUZ U DONT GIVE ME NO RITES!!11ONE"

Also, they sometimes can also complain about how George Bush sucks, which makes them a political emo. Political emos want to move to Canada, as shown in the diagram:

xD

Quote Originally Posted by Obstacle
    Surely this is my point?
    Not really. All you talked about was how gay they looked.

Also, they wear glasses because they're becaome intelligent with glasses. Intelligent enough for the previous said political statements. ANd they bitch and bitch about the government, but you would catch one dead in a voting booth. No sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    Basically emo has two meanings. It used to be emotive hardcore back in the day, but now emo music is basically whiny music like Linkin Park and Dashboard Confessionals. It can also be used to described whiny teenagers who think the world hates them and are always sad and are like "DAD I HAET U BECUZ U DONT GIVE ME NO RITES!!11ONE"
    There IS still emo music following the original description, but considering how nobody can work out what's what really, it's not even worth bothering and easier to just call it "music wot i does like".

Emo people piss me off, but that's just me. I'm sure lots of people agree and disagree with me.

The thing is, Ive seen people abuse others who have said stuff like " Oh Im so depressed "
    Some smurfing kid will go " OMG, Your such an Emo, get off this planet "
    I feel like punching the crap out of these smurfing retards.
    If someone has all these emotional problems, they need comforting and help, not some child saying there scum.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    Also, they sometimes can also complain about how George Bush sucks, which makes them a political emo.
    xD
    Well I worry for anyone who doesnt think Bush sucks, and i'm not emo, of which i'm still slightly unsure what the meaning is. Seriously, the guy has senile dementia. Anyway, I wont turn this into a political debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstacle
    Where i live (south england),

i live in the gay capital of england
    You live in Brighton? My brother just finished Uni there.

Back to the topic. I can see how whiny people like that would be annoying, but did anyone stop to think that maybe they really do have bigger family problems etc? Anyhooo, I hardly ever lable much, because it just oversimplifies peoples characters. Although that might not be any different to me calling someone else whiny, in which case im a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    The thing is, Ive seen people abuse others who have said stuff like " Oh Im so depressed "
    Some smurfing kid will go " OMG, Your such an Emo, get off this planet "
    I feel like punching the crap out of these smurfing retards.
    If someone has all these emotional problems, they need comforting and help, not some child saying there scum.
    Except in most every case, the person saying they're "depressed" is just doing it for attention.

You're right, i could've phrased it better. I'll just pretend i never said anything and run with "I love all people". Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Except in most every case, the person saying they're "depressed" is just doing it for attention.
    Yes, sometimes it is, but some other times its not. What happened if you wanted to express your feelings about stuff and then being flamed to shreds.......hmm