Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have better translated FF VI

no, I think Orthros' mum, Echidne, was related to Heracles. I don't fully understand it either.

and yeah, Heracles was renamed Hercules in Roman mythology.

Chupon was supposed to be named Typhon, as well, wasn't he?

edit: wait, apparently *I* was confused. Yeah, apparently Heracles did have several children by Echidne as well. Odd. xD
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryûkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Woolsey didn't know about Orthros and Typhon, so he did the best he could with the kana and came out with "Ultros" and "Chupon." This was finally corrected when they reappeared in FFI GBA, though.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Orthros...humm. Apparently, there are more references than one can grasp at first sight.
    I have contrasting feelings about Woosley's translation; at least it is in correct English, and he did make some enjoyable choices.
    I suppose he had to deal with Nintendo of America censore policy, which was rather strict, and he did what he could. Yet some thngs were chenged beyond recognition without the apparent need for that, and I still am wondering why.

I think Kefka was most censored Final Fantasy character ever.

Kefka: Son of a submariner
    Cefka: Son of a Bitch

I think people get point. That first one is like young edition what he say and second is more true. One translation what is not recommended to Finland people is finnish translation.

"Son of a bitch" might be what he actually says in the Japanese version, but "Son of a submariner" is still way funnier.

still, yes, there was quite a bit of profanity in the original game, which all got removed from the "official" US release.

Until I see a screenshot of that scene with Japanese text in the dialogue box saying the equivalent of "son of a bitch", I'll have no reason to believe Square didn't intend him to talk silly because he's a pretty psychotic guy.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What Kefka said was "kuso", that simply means "s**t". A very generic swearword, but you get the idea.

Edit: From what I translated so far, Kefka wasn't made to be intentionally silly-speaking in the original Japanese script. He is bossy and menacing. This was probably meant to contrast with his looks and with the fact that soldiers think he's an idiot and prefer General Leo, who acts more human.
    The result is that Kefka is made to be more ridiculous and more upsetting at the same time, because you realize that he, unlike Leo, is completely psycho and will go to any length to get what he wants, including ruthless murder and cruelty.
    Last edited by KoShiatar; 01-20-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Good enough. You I trust. Thanks for the clarification :D

As improper as Kefka may have been in Japan, I still like him with his funky vocabulary better. I believe that translators might have wanted to capture that he was so crazy. That's just my opinion though...

However, by what standpoint you might be, Sephiroth still sucks in comparison to Kekfa. Either way Kefka is.
    "I'm a General, not some OPERA FLOOZY!"
    You wanna see my artwork?
    www.kawaiiranchan.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Memoria
    However, by what standpoint you might be, Sephiroth still sucks in comparison to Kekfa. Either way Kefka is.
    Preach it, sista

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Going on in the translation, I noticed that Kefka does talk silly once in a while.
    However, the famous "son of a submariner" has nothing to do with it.

That they change those words to others sound stupid when you know what they really are. It is still most censored Final Fantasy villain normally in other official versions than Japan.

I have no idea what Submariner possibly mean but I know what Submarine mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submariner

A submariner is one who operates a submarine. This is oddly appropriate, as Figaro Castle had just made like a sand submarine, and the original script actually made some comment about that, but the Woolsey script changed it to "Nothing can touch the people of Figaro" or some bollocks.