Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing languages!

Blog Entries

Default Mixing languages!

Okay, do you ever find yourself mixing the languages you know? It's so annoying. I come back from the Philippines and I've only spoken English the entire time, then I try to speak Danish and it comes out something like this: Hej...hvordan går det here in Roskilde? *Dies* It can't be helped.

Ever since I saw Firefly, sometimes I throw a little Mandarin into what I say.

Not annoying in any sense, but it makes me look like more of a geek.
    lol signature

Blog Entries

My first language is Chinglish. xD

I speak Cantonese at home but my vocab is really limited. I can get the accent of our dialect down but the thing is our dialect is not really mainstream so when I do speak Cantonese, it just sounds a little off even though it's all good amongst family. My family back in China says I should try and learn a Honkie (Hong Kong) accent because it's just a lot easier for people to understand me then. I don't really give a crap though, I can't read or write Chinese nor can I speak or understand Mandarin and I reckon it's just too late for me to try and learn it all now.

So yeah. I avoid all the hassle and just speak English when I go out. Pretty much all my friends are Chinese but rarely do we speak any form of Chinese to each other. Half of us can't be bothered and save it for the household and the other half are like me and just can't do it all that well.

Chinglish. Like almost all other first generation Chinese-Australians I know, I emalgamate Chinese and English at home to not only to make it easier for me to communicate to my family but to help my immigrant parents get a firmer grasp of the English language.

i find myself mixing dutch and english the entire time but caus in my own opinion i talk english better then dutch (while i live in the netherlands :P) so when i cant find the right words i just use english ones instead :P
    Too big. <-- yeah i heard that one before

I randomly lapse into German when greeting, thanking or swearing at someone.

I'm not even German.

Blog Entries

When I get really upset or angry, I've been known to start swearing in Italian.
    Also, I have a habit of saying things in Latin, just because I don't want people to know what I'm saying...

Blog Entries

Hopefully not

there was a picture here

I do alot
    I call is Spanglish because its spanish and english mixed.
    Around where i live alot of people do that cuz the majority of people here speak both and decide to mix it .

i'm giving up,
    on the entire human race....

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

As is often the custom here, I throw random words in Arabic, English, Russian, German, Yiddish and many more, especially when I swear.
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

Heh I always use Irish when im talking cause I like it better. I only speak english because I need to get a point across.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

Well, yeah. It happens a lot to me actually. I have many languages to keep track on. I'm from Denmark, so naturally my first language is Danish (doh!). I'm also fluent in English and German, and besides that I'm taking Spanish lessons. On top of that a big part of my family lives in Sweden, so I can understand Swedish, but I have yet to learn how to speak it properly. It's only natural that I sometimes make some glitches when I'm speaking one of these languages. Well not Danish, but English or German for example tend to be quite easy to mix up sometimes... Which is really annoying to say the least.

Oh, and btw Mandinka... That Danish was good. Anybody from Denmark would understand what you were saying. No problems there.

It just bit me, is all. Little Miss Awesome's Avatar

It's not really the same, but I often throw random foreign words into normal conversation. A lot of my mates do, I really don't know why either

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Nope. I don't know enough Finnish yet

Ciddieless since 2004

One time I was speaking in French and I wanted to say, "Ça va mon ami?" and instead it came out as, "Ça va мой друг?" - Russian.

I really don't speak much apart from drunk singing/swearing in Irish and greeting people in Russian.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I took my french class, I'd sometimes call some of the food that I eat by their french name. But that's in unfortunatly. I speak Engrish sometimes, but it's usually as a joke. xD