Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College attendance?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default College attendance?

Has anyone ever had any problems with college attendance? I just got a letter in the post about an attendance meeting im supposed to have next monday. Apparently I had 77% attendance, but my teachers (some how) never seem to understand the term 'authorised absence'. I've had countless meetings with college staff about my UCAS application (for uni) and I reported all of these with my lectures, but they always seem to 'forget'. My attendance before all that was something like 88%, which in itself is not actually ideal. Truth is, I'm only doing 3 a levels and have bad attendance, while other people are trying to tackle 5 a levels and have pretty good attendance.

The letter wouldnt have worried me if it didnt read 'Failure to attend the meeting may result in your withdrawal from the A Level Programme.' Great! 'Withdrawal' is a bit of a funny word for that. I think they mean kicked out. Ugh, college bureaucracy!

Anyway, thats my boring ramble. Has anyone else ever had problems with attendance?

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Not really. I would only take days off if I was seriously ill. So far, in this year at my current college, I have attended every single lesson.

However...I have had days off at a previous college, well lessons I should say, and we have had time to do what we want, only to find out later we have been marked absent, when instead people should have known we could have had the lesson off because of teachers absense!

But other then that, my attendance has always been 100% =P

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

I've never had a day off from college..Im always late though...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Wow, good attendance then. Makes me feel kinda stupid.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I always manage to sleep through some classes, like this morning, during every semester...I skipped my Intro to Psyc yesterday, but I can go and see it online. It is video/audio recorded and it has al the slides up. Also my Calc class, this morning's class, is still doing basic Calc which is annoying...If I choose to stay on for a fe more minutes I will be late for my Intro to Ancient Greek...*sighs* I may as well get off now and get dress...*had no shower yet *

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles
    Wow, good attendance then. Makes me feel kinda stupid.
    Oh, your attendance is pretty much ok. We have people with probably much worser attendance then yours.

^_^

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

I have pretty good attendance. I only have one class that I may skip once every couple of weeks because it's ungodly boring, but that's it.

I only go to College twice a week on Tuesdays & Fridays. My attendence is 100%. Though the teachers do complicate things quite a lot. There are lots of times where wrong figures will be given to students. It's never happened to me though.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What? Colleges don't check attendence.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    lol signature

At uni they're SUPPOSED to check but basically all that happened is a scrap peice of paper is passed about and you're meant to put your name done, an easy system to break :P

i'm really crap, i skip things all the time ;[ i just like my sleep!
    At college i think i had about 70% or lower attendence :P but i was smartish (in my third year xD) so they never said anything!

Trust No one

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

I only miss classes when I sleep in. Other than that, I try to always attend.

Mine did, like hawks!
    At uni they're SUPPOSED to check but basically all that happened is a scrap peice of paper is passed about and you're meant to put your name done, an easy system to break
    Thats true, its really only sent round seminars, not lectures. But you have to get your notes from somewhere and its difficult when your closest Uni mate is a goody-goody.

I did sometimes, and still do! It annoyed me because on the first day of college we had an assembly and they said we shall treat you like adults. I thought brilliant! So what happens when you miss afew days? They send a letter to mum and dad complaining about you. Im sorry, but since when do you go behind the adults back and complain to their parents? Shouldnt you sit down and have an adult conversation with us first? I hated that about college.

Uni have gotten into this habit too. My friend recieved a letter about her attendence and it was addressed to her parents, not her! WTF?! We are in our 19/20s at Uni and for some reason they still send letters to our parents regarding us. I dont see why they dont talk to us, cause to me, a lecture from my mum has no effect on me anymore. Now if my tutor or principle spoke to me, I would sit up and pay attention and listen to them. But this scenerio has allowed me to have no faith in my college or Uni at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

A couple of my teachers take attendance for a small portion of the grade or just as something to consider for end-of-term grades that are "borderline." That's it though. My attendace is awful; I prefer to learn on my own than through lecture. Most of the time I play PSP in class.

I usually plug in my earphones and doze off...