Thread: Telephoto

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin Telephoto

Photography is an interesting and obviously revolutionary artform in that it annihilates what artists have been trying to capture for ages and reproduces what is sought in perfect detail, even if they do say that the camera adds ten pounds. I'm sure that this must be frustrating to some, but surely it must be recognised that photography is indeed an art form equal of the attention of all others. While the shutterbug can record an image without the painstaking effort the charcoal artist uses in his rendering, not anyone can operate a camera or a camcorder - do not be fooled by the phalanx of Myspacers who produce brightly contrasted glamour shots in their bathroom mirrors, yes?

To any of you who scoff at the art of the photographer, I challenge you to capture beauty and impart meaning through the lense, be it still life or motion picture.

In any case, my personal experience leads me to believe resolutely that art is stronger than the disbelievers, and shall do whatever it pleases. If you fail to wonder at it, it does not lose any of its staying power.

[In politics, be sure to draw lines in the sand before you set out on your journey]

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bravo! Brava!

Well said Miss Nicky, I applaud you.

I can only assume that people who deem photography to be less than any other traditional artform such as paintings or drawings, haven't had a chance to look at real emotive photography before. Photography (to me at least) is more compelling than other artform because it's more human than any other artform. Photography can capture humanity at it's best and worst in a way that a painting can't possibly hope to do. I am biased, I'll admit that. But there is such overwhelming power and beauty in photography that I can't understand how people could possibly relegate it to a lesser position than any other artform.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Seeing as I only like paintings that look like real things, I like photography, because it is real things. The world itself is art, and photography captures a piece of that world.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's really true, you stated that perfectly. I can't even add too much to this post anything to this post, since you summed up my thoughts perfectly, except that in the case of using film, people really underestimate how difficult it is. Developing and enlarging photos and making them come out just DECENT is much harder than it seems.

And also, like Miriel, photography is more compelling to me than most artforms.