Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magic should be free

Default magic should be free

why do they even have magic points. i barely use any magic except for against bosses or a status ailment. i understand that against some enemies magic can be devestating. but i can almost garuntee that a fighting class will cause 100 times more damage during the course of the game. but they don't waste energy, no attack points get used. a knight with 2 swords ability is a one man wrecking crew. but what are the drawbacks. i just think that with all the sacrifices you must make to become a wizard that the return should be alot more. i think the next time i play i won't use a magic class and see if they are really neccesary. don't get me wrong i love em. just thik it's kinda dumb that you have to conserve your mp instead of being able to play the character to their fullest.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Four characters spamming fire or whatever spell would take out most large groups in one round. Fighting classes can do focused damage on one enemy, casters can do a good range of damage on ALL enemies. It's a game balance issue.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

A party of mimes equiped with Redx2, Time6 and Black magic can cast the equilevent of FORTY spells in a single turn, if they are equiped right. You just have to know how to use them effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I see you don't know the beauty of Bio.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

what about meteo? meteo + 3 mimes - swords= who needs swords.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

I gotta admit though, i am more of a physical fighter. But mages abilities are so quick to learn and their are some spells you just cant do without. Haste for example is probabley the most useful spell ever. In ffv you can dominate any battle with haste and you get it very early in world one.
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

i understand that you can do some serious damage. but unless you load up on ethers or mime your spells you just can't use them to their potential every fight.

There are plenty of places to level up where their is a healing spring/healing jar etc which is a free way to heal. plus its quick "ding" and your done. You could always stick near a town where an inn would cost you 20gil to restore. Also, their are many placed where monsters drop tents and cottages frequently which restores HP/MP to max with a save point nearby for those areas.

I agree with you. I only use magic to heal and increase stats in battle. Why? I'm afraid to run out of magic, and not be able to heal properly, which would lead me to using an ether, which in effect is MONEY! I'm the cheapest game player around. I try to not use items unless absolutely necessary. BTW you might like valkyrie profile, in that case.

MP is important to have So you are challenged in the game. Just like HP, if they were not there it would be too easy. If I remember correctly you can change jobs if you want so you don't need mp. If you want to heal without using a tent/cabin/inn/pot/ or water then it will cost you so your not being too lazy.

MAybe you should play FF8. It has no mp.
    Last edited by chronic_Maniac; 01-19-2006 at 06:40 PM.
    Sabin:
    You think a little thing like the end of the world was going to do me in.
    FF6

Barret
    There ain’t no getting off this train we’re on
    FF7

Seifer
    "One of these days, I'm gonna tell ya 'bout my ROMANTIC dream!"
    FF8

Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!"

-ending of FF9

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon sword (dragoon?), Magical Waltz or something (Dancer) and probably some other ability all absorb MP from enemies.

I'm really cheap so using an ether anywhere other than boss battles is like a sin! They're so expensive. But, since I'm such a magic-god, I'm stuck with 2 or 3 mages for the whole game who do nothing but physical attack outside of boss battles and slight healing. This slows things down a bit, but meh, I love 'em. (Yes, Magic Waltz is a must)

If there were no MP, magic would probably be lowered next to worthless and if not so, then the game would just be way too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    Dragon sword (dragoon?), Magical Waltz or something (Dancer) and probably some other ability all absorb MP from enemies.

Black mage spell, Asper

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You don't get Aspil for a while into the game. At least I don't think you get it before the living forest of mua place. 'cause that's where I am and I don't have it :] And I've conviently overwriten all my last game's saves so I can't look and see-.-

Checking a random faq, it appears you can't get aspil until you go to mirage. Which would mean that you had either a chocobo or an airship and could just go to the first town of the game and rest for 10g.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    You don't get Aspil for a while into the game. At least I don't think you get it before the living forest of mua place. 'cause that's where I am and I don't have it :] And I've conviently overwriten all my last game's saves so I can't look and see-.-

Checking a random faq, it appears you can't get aspil until you go to mirage. Which would mean that you had either a chocobo or an airship and could just go to the first town of the game and rest for 10g.

I suppose it's there for the cleft of dimension. Lots of tough enemies and lots of bosses. Asper can completley restore all MP after one or two uses and only costs 1MP. Cure3 and Asper and you'll never need any items