Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else a bit weary of this title . .

Default Is anyone else a bit weary of this title . .

To be honest, I'm not as keen with twelve as I was when the others released. I think Squaresoft joining with Enix might have ruined the franchise. Firstly, the number of spin-offs for VII in my opinion has ruined the essence of it. But back on track, 12. If it turns out to be a quest game like 11 and 10-2 then I fear SQUARESOFT might have ruined the franchise. The reasons I fell in love with these games was the sheer exploration factor and amazing story to go with it. Huge world maps to explore with immense freedom and an extremely solid storyline. The idea of bringing missions into it seems to me like the freedom is being cut out, like you HAVE to follow this certain part of the game to progress to the next. It seems as though SQUARESOFT are trying to attract different gamers to try and hook to the series, since the fact final fantasy fans are quite distinct, you either love the series or you detest them. Well anyway I'll stop babbling, but I'm sure many of you might feel the same way ?

i Agree but u never know this game could be awsome or a total piece of crap

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

What's wrong with trying to attract new gamers? They don't make Final Fantasy games to make loyal fans happy; they make the games to make money. If they can do something that will draw more people to them, that's a good thing. I don't see what the problem is.

Sure, FFXII is seeing a lot of change, but I hardly think it's a big deal. In fact, a lot of the change looks good. I love the new battle system (though that may be because I play FFXI). As far as the missions go, I think that's just a throwback to missions from Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Advance. Missions will probably advance the story, but if it plays like FFT or TA, you don't *have* to jump from mission to mission. There will be plenty of room for exploration and side quests through optional missions, I'm sure.

Also, isn't FFXII's world supposed to be absolutely enormous? If I'm not mistaken, the world is going to be similar to that of an online game. That means it'll be huge with lots of explorable areas. Not to mention cities won't be small blocks on the overworld map. Overworld maps always annoyed me.

So no, I'm not weary of the title. I'm looking forward to it.

i fear square and enix could break up one day but who knows, there have been rumours that FFXII will be mission based game like FFX-2 which i have experienced from the demo and the list of missions it has to be done from the type of area your in. SquareEnix mabey wanted to go along with FFX-2 style of gameplay and improve it for 12....

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

From the look of things FFXII will have an amazing story and a huge exploration factor.

As for the missions, when has any Final Fantasy game not made you do certain things before you can progress to a different part of the game? I really don't think the missions will make the game as rigid as you think it'll be.

I'm looking forward to this game more than I was with any FF game in a long time.

I can see some of your points, but in my personal opinion (feel free to disagree) I just don't think "they make 'em like they used to"

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

No, they don't. If they did, everyone would complain about how the games are all the same. People already say this about Dragon Quest. I'm looking forward to XII.

i fully agree with sam, they've gone downhill and bad...I also miss the freedom of the old ff's, making mission, it just doesn't feel like an roleplaying game anymore, it's like a basic adventure game..

thx to ff7+ff10 gurl 100 for making the sig

There was no freedom. I don't exactly know which ones you're calling old. But as far as I'm aware there was no such thing as side-quests in the original Final Fantasys (save FF1, which was a whole story revovling around sidequests and fetch-quests xD) And I agree. There has always been things you had to do to progress. And huge world maps to explore? Traverse maybe. But I don't think until FF8 did they really try to put a lot of extra stuff in the world map itself. And then what? FF10 did away with world maps entirely. Will 12 even have an overworld? From what I've gathered, there's a world map. But you walk across it quite a bit more realistically. Which is a huge plus. And the fact that not only are there no random encounters, but there's the availability to use tactics to your encounters. Goading enemies into fighting each other before you take out the weakend victor? Win! I'm more interested in this FF than I have been in any since FF8. I agree that they might have strayed from their roots. But that was the whole point from the beginning. FF2 had a story, it wasn't just a bunch of fetch quests like 1. 3 had the job system. That wasn't like FF2. And so on. Change is a good thing. You get fresh ideas that might make the game more fun, and at least a wholely different experience than its predicessor. Remember. The Final Fantasy franchise doesn't have direct sequals. They're stand-alone games. They have no requirement or obligation to be anything like any of their predicessors. This game may get me back into FF. Or it'll just be another stepping stone on my path away from the franchise. But at least they're attempting to spice things up to keep me, or draw in others. So props to them for the effort. Hurrah for attempts at innovation

Edit: Okay so there are some direct sequals. As for the saga of 7. I'm happy. I loved that world. I'll take every opportunity they give me to spend more time in it doing/seeing new things.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

i think that the inclusion of the world map give the impression of not being linear whilst their mission based counterparts feel linear and restricted and that is what is driving people away....thats one of the reason that ive always loved ff....because of the world map! and thats also why i didnt enjoy ff10 as much as i could of....thats the thing about the world map it gives scope or opertunities to make multipath/ending ffs which branch out while the mission based ff would still seem linear even with multiple endings (remember ff10-2?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    There was no freedom. I don't exactly know which ones you're calling old. But as far as I'm aware there was no such thing as side-quests in the original Final Fantasys (save FF1, which was a whole story revovling around sidequests and fetch-quests xD) And I agree. There has always been things you had to do to progress. And huge world maps to explore? Traverse maybe. But I don't think until FF8 did they really try to put a lot of extra stuff in the world map itself. And then what? FF10 did away with world maps entirely. Will 12 even have an overworld? From what I've gathered, there's a world map. But you walk across it quite a bit more realistically. Which is a huge plus. And the fact that not only are there no random encounters, but there's the availability to use tactics to your encounters. Goading enemies into fighting each other before you take out the weakend victor? Win! I'm more interested in this FF than I have been in any since FF8. I agree that they might have strayed from their roots. But that was the whole point from the beginning. FF2 had a story, it wasn't just a bunch of fetch quests like 1. 3 had the job system. That wasn't like FF2. And so on. Change is a good thing. You get fresh ideas that might make the game more fun, and at least a wholely different experience than its predicessor. Remember. The Final Fantasy franchise doesn't have direct sequals. They're stand-alone games. They have no requirement or obligation to be anything like any of their predicessors. This game may get me back into FF. Or it'll just be another stepping stone on my path away from the franchise. But at least they're attempting to spice things up to keep me, or draw in others. So props to them for the effort. Hurrah for attempts at innovation

Edit: Okay so there are some direct sequals. As for the saga of 7. I'm happy. I loved that world. I'll take every opportunity they give me to spend more time in it doing/seeing new things.
    And with old i mean of course, FF4-9 and so on...not 10 cuz it also was "lineary" which i hated too...no world map yeah omegaweapon,i don't also like multiple endings that just sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by a_dollar_20
    i Agree but u never know this game could be awsome or a total piece of crap
    You said it...I personally think it's going to be really good.

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

well there might be missions in it but they might put them in there so it dosnt ruin the game. The missions might be fun and exciting and not just idiotic filler like in x2

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox
    well there might be missions in it but they might put them in there so it dosnt ruin the game. The missions might be fun and exciting and not just idiotic filler like in x2
    You're maybe right, and i hope you're

At least i liked the theme song "kiss me goodbye".

I dunno. I think the games are good. I mean, people say that 10 and 10-2 really bombed, but I like the story line that goes with it. Plus, they have good imagry (sp?) in the cut scenes now, I mean, remember the cut scenes in 7? Do you really want those back? It just looks better now. And 12 looks pretty good to me.
    Yeah, so what, I'm a chick that plays Final Fantasy. Not my fault my dad got me hooked when I was little. Started with Final Fantasy Tactics, and now I'm on Final Fantasy X-2... And I'm only 14!