Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else a bit weary of this title . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Yevon
    Well, complexity doesn't mean interesting. I've read plenty of fanfics with incomprehensible plots, and they sucked.

Anyway, to topic. I'm pretty disapointed in the story -- it seems to be a fairly close copy of the FFVI back story. The gameplay while it looks to be decent, is a copy of the FFXI system.
    To make it worse....the characters don't seem to have a charm in them, well except for Balflear, Fran, and Penelo..................Ashe and Vaan are a complete waste.........well at least from what I've read and seen.:mog:

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The storyline is by the same guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics, my utmost favorite Final Fantasy game. He also did Vagrant Story, which I haven't gotten too far into yet but I have heard many good things about. I'm not at all worried about the story.

And in response to the "Vaan is too girly" comments that get bandied around a lot, one word: Sephiroth.

Anyway, I'm going to get this. I'd probably be really excited about it if it hadn't been delayed for so long. But right now, Disgaea 2 has priority. I'm still looking forward to this game and I do think it will be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Extraordinary Gentleman
    The storyline is by the same guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics, my utmost favorite Final Fantasy game. He also did Vagrant Story, which I haven't gotten too far into yet but I have heard many good things about. I'm not at all worried about the story.

And in response to the "Vaan is too girly" comments that get bandied around a lot, one word: Sephiroth.

Anyway, I'm going to get this. I'd probably be really excited about it if it hadn't been delayed for so long. But right now, Disgaea 2 has priority. I'm still looking forward to this game and I do think it will be quite good.
    Yeah I agree, the story might be even better than I think it is. Maybe it'll kick ass, the Summons are the main thing that have me hyped up for this game................I just can't stand Vaan and Ashe, well at least Balflear will make the game better.
    Sephiroth would be even worse.
    I NEVER liked Sephiroth, he's just a boring SHOW OFF, who'd get totally beat up by Auron and other better characters.
    Last edited by DeathKnight; 03-05-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power
    The same principal could be applied to prove that Atlas Shrugged is inferior to Spot the Dog.
    Not really.

In this case, I think Flying is referring to the plotholes in the story, not complexity. Dragon Quest didn't try to do anything fancy with their storylines, thus making them more solid and enjoyable, if a little more dumbed down.

I could be wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    To make it worse....the characters don't seem to have a charm in them, well except for Balflear, Fran, and Penelo..................Ashe and Vaan are a complete waste.........well at least from what I've read and seen.:mog:
    And still, not alot about these characters have been released, so by judging them too much before the game is even released is jumping the gun a little, in my opinion at least.

As for the demo, people seem to forget that although they are used to give prospective buyers, and fans for the franchise a small taster/teaser for the game, they are also used as tech demos for feedback on the progress so far, and rarely contain the full features of the actual game.

Also, with the missions, which I hope they don't do in the same still as FFX-2 as they just felt forced, it could just be a way of giving a taster for the game, and they might not be included in such a way at all.

Me, I personally think this will be the best Final Fantasy ever. They finally replaced the old, repetitive summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, etc.) with new, and in my opinion, more aesthetically impressive ones. No random encounters is grand in my opinion. Much more realistic. The battle system looks like fun, but I can't judge it yet. The license grid looks to be nicely implemented as well, allowing for a multitude of customization.

I'm personally quite confused and in the blank on the storyline. All that I know is there is a war between Archadia and some other country, which envelops Dalmasca. This is probably good though, and will end up providing a better experience- better shockers and plot twists.

The only other thing I can say I love is the option to take on sidequests, go monster hunting, etc. It seems to provide more content, and the ability to just take time off from the story to go explore and gain new licenses and equipment for your characters.

Previous Final Fantasies were plagued with the random battle syndrome, and I can't pull myself through FFVIII. Junctioning is a pain in the neck- I dont see the fun in having to sit in battle for 10 minutes to get enough of a spell to survive a boss fight. After FFVI, most didnt seem to have much sidequest content that didnt require use of chocobos (which I despise).

Final Fantasy XII just seems to be a great revival for a declining series and will hopefully open up the saga for new players. Hopefully more RPG's will transition to the action-RPG system, or at least depart from the standard, press-X-until-dead syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by friscodude
    They finally replaced the old, repetitive summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, etc.) with new, and in my opinion, more aesthetically impressive ones.
    Hmm I think it'll be weird not using the old FF summons, although FFX did introduce Valefor and Ixion which I loved so meh, I guess I'll see!

As for a World Map, I think they really add nothing to the game at all, I loved FFXs style of travelling around and didn't miss the word map one bit, I found it more realistic than going round on an unscaled landmass getting into annoyingly tedious battles whilst travelling from one place to an almost indentical new place! The only bonus to WorldMaps was FFIXs Chocobo Hot and Cold SubGame which I loved!

Im not looking forward to FFXII as much as I did FFX, but I'll still have a whoooole lotta excitement come November!

I'm so looking forward to this. I don't care if you have to walk around on a map like on final fantasy tactics. I just want to enjoy the game. I'm sure I will.
    We may be human. But we're still animals...

I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe* That might be one of the things I find odd about the game. I mean, I agree the Demo is probobly way different from the game, so on so forth. But I'm getting a little tired of the characters looking the same. I like the idea that they mixed a bunny rabbit with a human (Yeah... thats how I look at it) Thats creative stuff there. But, I remember the days when everyone could summon aeons and GF's, but now only 1 person? Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but now they are getting a little the same. Will this one have a great story line like the others? Or will it just be a dud? Wait and see my friends... wait and see.

I think everyone will be able to summon, they just have to get the license for summoning and, obviously, get the summon! (summon summon summon :P)

And someone said earlier that they all look like girls because thats the trend In Japan right now! Not sure whether that'll catch on here :S

Quote Originally Posted by anacacia
    I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe*
    Yes. It's been addressed many, many, manymanymany times. In this thread, even.

Everyone can summon a summon but they can only summon one.

Quote Originally Posted by anacacia
    I'm just going to say this... though it may be a little off topic. But does anyone knotice how the characters are getting to look like girls more and more... even the guys? *cringe* That might be one of the things I find odd about the game. I mean, I agree the Demo is probobly way different from the game, so on so forth. But I'm getting a little tired of the characters looking the same. I like the idea that they mixed a bunny rabbit with a human (Yeah... thats how I look at it) Thats creative stuff there. But, I remember the days when everyone could summon aeons and GF's, but now only 1 person? Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but now they are getting a little the same. Will this one have a great story line like the others? Or will it just be a dud? Wait and see my friends... wait and see.
    Wait and see my friend... wait and see.

Official Playstation 2 Magazine in the UK did a little monitor thing of FFXII this month and they only rated it 3/5 on their "Hot or Not" scale, saying stuff like "Has Square knacked the most famous RPG of all?" and saying its "an uncomfortable compromise between turn-based and real-time combat". Lets hope it's not as bad as they think :S Still a long wait tho...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    Comparing this game to X and X-2 is COMPLETELY wrong. Why are we not so hyped 'bout this game?

It's not the gameplay, smurf the gameplay. When have we ever cared 'bout the gameplay BEFORE the games even came out??? I NEVER EVER remember FF fans ever bitching 'bout the fighting systems BEFORE the games even came out.

We're complaing 'bout the game 'cause of this:
    Female protagonist: Nothing like Yuna, Rinoa, Tifa. Poor background story........and doesn't have the girly female appearence of feel.

Male protagonist: Poor attempt at making a "Kingdom Hearts" kind of Sora. Looks girly, bad clothing design. Doesn't look like he can coquer Ashe at ALL.

Larsa-Gay looking character who CAN be fun.............but just looks and feels like he's gonna be a joke of a character. I would've preferred if he was female

Balflear-The one we all hoped was the lead character..............the one who looks more kick ass and seems to have a better background story and all.

The ONLY thing that could save this game is a great story...........we'll have to see.
    *KUPO! damn*:mog:

Well that's because for the most part the battle system of the FF series has been similar for the past 17 years till now. Anyway when I tried the demo for the first time I didn't like the battle system and how it felt. However I've played the demo several times now to try and get the feel for the battle system and I have to tell you guys that you get used to it. I'm not saying I prefer this system, but I feel that it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. I do however agree with alot of people that this type of battle system doesn't let you control your characters in a strategic sense (ie you have to rush through your choices or set the gambit system). But as I said before you get used to the battle system and hopefully the final product will have a tweaked battle system and it will feel more like you are in control of your characters and not like you are in chaos everytime you encounter and fight the enemy.