Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hometown Traditions?

Blog Entries

Default Hometown Traditions?

So every year in Tampa we have this big event called Gasparilla. They have this fake pirate invasion in downtown, where they even 'kidnap' the mayor and such. Then they have this big parade where they throw beads, the beer flows like water, and women feel the overwhelming need to show their 'assets'...:rolleyes2
    Throughout the entire month of February they have other events associated with Gasparilla. Marathons, Charity Art Shows, Children's Day. Then the tour de force is the Knight Parade, which is basically an amped up version of the other parade.
    IMO, its kinda like if pirates took over Mardi Gras...

Does your town have any yearly traditions or the like?

We have a Crab Festival every March in Mandurah. We have local stalls, entertainment, fireworks etc. Crabs. If you go to the Crab Festival you have to eat a Crab. Since there is a whole area filled with cooked crabs, you'll have no trouble finding one. The Crab Festival is so much fun.

I'm allergic to crab.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mars Hill has the Mountain Heritage Festival and the Lamar Lunsford Festival, both of which bring out bands, food vendors, arts and crafts people and more "down home" entertainment, including cloggers. Hot Springs, which isn't my home town but I do go there when I am home, has Trailfest in April which is a little different. Hot Springs is very toursity, and is an official stop on the Appalachain Trail. April is around the time the hikers and hippies make it to Hot Springs, so they hold a festival as well as special deals on the bed and breakfasts and the spa. There's also crazy live music, and Thai chicken with peanut sauce.

Chapel Hill as a town doesn't have much that I know of, but there's always some kind of traditional thing on campus.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

Denmark:

Roskilde has something called "Roskilde Night" which is a festival at night with different themes each year. It's pretty nice to walk around town at night! Plus all the stores are open the entire night!

Philippines:

Iloilo has MANY traditions, I'm not going to list them all...just a few. Dinagyang (festival) which is great. Dinagyang has everything, parades through town with native tribes, and food! LOTS of food.

We have nothing really, apart from xmas where "santa" comes but I think that happens everywhere.

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Around Christmas Santa drives around my area

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy
    Around Christmas Santa drives around my area
    I guess that's something only you see?

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I am from the southside of Chicago and as we all know we South Side Irish are proud to be Irish so St. Patrick's Day is a HUGE deal here. They die they river green, a parade and lots of booze.

Then in the summer there is the Taste of Chicago.

In my specific town of Flossmoor there is an annual thing called Flossmoor Fest. And in our neighboring town there is Homewood Days. They are crap as far as I am concerned.

In Brighton, south coast england, we have gay pride. Big parade. Lots of floats and lots of people dancing around dressed as superwomen. 'tis larks for all.

The Nottinghill Festival in London is great, I look forward to it every year.

Erm, what traditions does this craphole have? Eh...heheheh.

Blog Entries

No way

there was a picture here

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Let's see. Well there is always a winter carnival in GlenLevit, besides that in Campbellton there is the Salmon Festival. Basically a summer festival where they have a street party, a circus, and different stuff. It usually is fun but in the last few yers it got quite boring.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

There's the Mouth of the Tyne Festival where there's a massive party down by the beach and we get smashed.

There's the Tall ships race where loads of massive ships enter the Tyne for a few days.

LET THE HAMMER FALL