Thread: School newspapers

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default School newspapers

How do you like your high school (or Middle School, I suppose) newspaper? Is it good, decent or trash like the middle school paper was when I went to Junior High.

We just got our second edition school newspaper. I suppose it's decent, but some articles are AWFUL. Especially this one article made by this dumb girl named Danielle who is obsessed with herself and fashion. *copies and pastes from LJ because I'm lazy~*

"Just make sure you follow these rules and you will look great this season!

Do-

Wear bohemian styled clothing (those really WEIRD pants that are huge and UGLY)
    Put flowers in your hair
    Wear sundresses
    Wear flats
    Wear vintage tees
    Wear floral patterns
    Cuff your jeans
    Wear longer skirts (The one thing I agree with)
    Wear gauchos with everything from fitted knit tops to boots and sweaters (Uh what?)

Don't -

Wear heels bigger than 3 inches (Short people want to be taller)
    Hide yourself in baggy clothing (It's better to wear baggy clothing than to wear pants and shirts 4 sizes too small just so you can say you'ra a size 6 or lower, so your fat is hanging out, like HER (the writer of the article) friends do.)
    Wear sneakers with skirts
    Wear ponchos"

I threw in a few comments, as you can see. But yeah, it was dumb. There were some good articles though, about Advanced Placement Art, Senior-itis and how MTV warps expectations of Sweet Sixteens and how people in my town who were born here/lived their most of their life think this is the center of the world and are seriously flawed in that way. I liked that last one.

We never got a newspaper, just a pointless newsletter every Friday. We had to show the teacher we were putting it in our bags cause it was just stuff for the sporty kids and parents to read. I had my name mentioned once or twice when I appeared in the Christmas plays. We didnt have the rules printed on it, we had a journal specially for that use and it had to be with us all week. You got detention if you left it at home ...
    I dont miss any of it

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've written for my school newspaper for three years. Overall it was pretty much a piece of crap, with the exception of two sections: Entertainment (My section) and Opinions. The rest of the paper was made up of News, Features, and Sports. Most of the articles in those sections were poorly written and received drab layouts, while the rest were decent and sometimes even above par. I liked the class, though, because the teacher was nice, we had lots of free time to surf the net, I got to write about what I wanted, and it'll look good for my resume, since I want to go into Journalism. Plus, it was oh-so easy.

Our school does "Loreto Lore". Some of the drawings are good. I have created a large FF fanbase in the art classes so thats popular.
    The best bits are the pics of the teachers. Our chemistry teacher pissed. Hilarious.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    We never got a newspaper, just a pointless newsletter every Friday. We had to show the teacher we were putting it in our bags cause it was just stuff for the sporty kids and parents to read. I had my name mentioned once or twice

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

The one good thing about the paper is the layout is quite good. Last year, I was on the newspaper for a short while and made a page's layout. But then, it was an afterschool thing rather than a class, so no one did anything and the paper broke up.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

We have the "Rainford High Notes". Nobody reads them, its all crap you don't want to know. Like how well/crap our football team is doing. Or if theres a disco in the village

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The only reason anyone read our school newspaper was the message page. Think of it as a more retarded version of the internet, although the grammar was corrected. (My heart genuinely bleeds for the editors)

The messages mainly revolved around person x telling person y that they thought they were "sooooooooooooooo fit", until I discovered it, that is. Soon the page was flooded with people confessing all kinds of things, such as plans for world domination (#1 Take over the school, #2 Create a cult that worships croissants, #3 Invade Poland) Man, I really wish I had saved my copy of that. The poor guy was mocked for two days. TWO WHOLE DAYS! What a great prankster I was! I only wish I was half as good now as I was then.

Of course, then I discovered EoFF, and now I mock all of you instead.

The rest of the paper was filled with crap about the sports teams. The sports teams thought everyone liked them. They didn't.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Soon the page was flooded with people confessing all kinds of things, such as plans for world domination (#1 Take over the school, #2 Create a cult that worships croissants, #3 Invade Poland) Man, I really wish I had saved my copy of that. The poor guy was mocked for two days. TWO WHOLE DAYS! What a great prankster I was! I only wish I was half as good now as I was then.
    Owned. xD

My school's newspaper is awful. There's only been one this school year, I believe. But it was filled with terrible articles and people's stupid opinions on things that hardly matter. But it did have a funny picture of my mathematics teacher.

I think our school's too poor for that kind of thing, too. That's probably why there's only been one out so far. They spent all their money on a new gymnasium.

The best bit of ours was were I did "A study of exams, in the style of Jeremy Clarkson". Followed by the love poems by some mental bloke in our year. Saaaad.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only articles I ever read in the paper were written by one of my friends. Most of her articles got rejected for being "controversial" or "innappropriate" though.

And we also read a guy's little comic to make fun of him because it was always so poorly drawn and so un-funny.

My school newspaper, for the 5 issues it lasted, was great.
    We had entertainment- Games, Poems/short Stories, Funny things, a Riddle or two, Movies, etc.
    Some sports (both School and Recent national stuff)
    Some things about the Talent Show and TalentSTAR, stuff about the school bands, the music and revision class lineups, stuff like that. And people who'd done well at the very back. We won an award. But then the teacher left so we split up.
    "We're not freaks of society- Everybody else is!"
    My Myspace. Started a couple of days ago.

Are pathetic excuse for a school magazine came out about three times a year! But once some guy wanted to take my picture for it, so I let him. But then he wrote a load of rubbish things which I never said . So I got some smutty pictures of people "having some fun together", and stuck his head, and his freinds heads on the bodies, and stuck them up all around the school.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My school newspaper is actually really great; or at least, I think so. I thought it would be a load of completely boring crap, but it was really interesting, and informative, so that's cool. My English teacher is the one who's running it though, and she's awesome, so that's probably why. I think I might start writing for it too, which I'm looking forward to doing.
    --Box Box Box Box