Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: British Humour?

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The reason people take the piss out of eachother is because we can laugh at ourselves and not get insulted so easily.

Uh, how exactly is that humour?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy
    I've seen Little Britain. It is so far from being funny.

I don't get British humour.
    I would be ashamed to think that Little Britain represents British humour.

From what I can gather from Brit the majotiry seem to find LB funny. For some sick reason "Bubbles" is hugly popular. So therefore, it is british humour.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

I live in England. I hate most of its people. I hate its taste in movies. I hate its taste in music. I hate its taste in gaming. I hate the amount of discrimination within this country... And I hate its humour.

Oh yeah, I hate my own country.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I live in England. I hate most of its people. I hate its taste in movies. I hate its taste in music. I hate its taste in gaming. I hate the amount of discrimination within this country... And I hate its humour.

Oh yeah, I hate my own country.
    I hate your country too.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

I love Britain im British, I dunno about British humor cos its varies but I dont like Little Britain, the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Number
    From what I can gather from Brit the majotiry seem to find LB funny. For some sick reason "Bubbles" is hugly popular. So therefore, it is british humour.
    I just meant that I hope Little Britain doesn't represent our humour as a whole.

Course not. There still the traditional British joke of slaughtering innocent people. They still do that after years, its traditional.
    Oh, and theres "Lordly humour". Thats posh stuff, ya know?
    Lets not forget the City humour. I cant understand the way they talk, but its probably jokes. They seem to laugh, anyway.

Brit Humor takes on many forms, but that isnt really Humor at all........of any kind.

Yes, our humour IS different...
    Little Britain is a facet of british Humour, same goes for monty Python, Fawlty Towers, The Office, or even at the other end of the spectrum Yes Minister (roughly UK version of the west wing, made about 20 years ago and god it's the funniest comedy I have ever seen...)

Yes, people in Britain wll insult you, or touch nerves and expect you not to flinch. Their being brutally honest and making a joke out of it, or being ironic or sarcastic, which is good. It's only not good when they go that step to far, which occasionally they do, but otherwise it's just being honest enough to say what your thinking and express it.

That said, there's the brutal waspish jokes and then there's just being rude. It's an invsible line which people only recognise after a while, it doens't translate well over the internet because you can usually tell if it' a joke or not by seeing the look on their face, the expression in their voice, whatever...

-----

On the initial post; the "Aren't you," is probably just an expression that's used all the time and comes as habit. The joke was, "You're quite the idiot," which was probably just pointing out they'd said something stupid...
    That ISNT British Humour, but it is the bedrock British Humour is based on.

Well British people must be different where you live. Because here no one would dare mock anyone to their faces, their far to yellow bellied for that. They do however snigger at other people being mocked, by a rare person, who's actually got the guts to do so.

I really don't find Little Britain funny. And I'm British. However that doesn't mean that all British humour is puerile.

Spaced (and Shaun of the Dead, which is pretty much a zombie based spin off), for example is (or rather, was) gold.
    Word/s.

No, not mocking, but being brutally honest...
    To be honest, my best mate is the groups pervert... I spend about, 2/3rds of my time comparing him to a stalker, warning girls to get away from him and we all laugh. It's not mocking, and iwouldn't do it to anyone else I don't know but we're having a laugh. If anyone he didn't know joked about him being a bit of a ladies man he'd punch their lights out...

Actually, don;t take it as a joke, take it as a sign of friendship. If they can laugh at you they trust you enough to take it the right way...
    Either that or their being rude and deserve having their lights punched out.

It's not mocking, it's pushing.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Swifthom
    Yes, people in Britain wll insult you, or touch nerves and expect you not to flinch. Their being brutally honest and making a joke out of it, or being ironic or sarcastic, which is good. It's only not good when they go that step to far, which occasionally they do, but otherwise it's just being honest enough to say what your thinking and express it.
    Balls to that. I have no problem with honestly and forthrightness - in fact it's something I cherish, but that's not what 98% of what you hear is about. I don't care what some random oaf thinks about me, but you can't deny that they're all about yelling at you and insulting you. On the other hand, friends do make fun of each other and the like - just like all my American, Canadian, and Australian friends do. And like most of the Scandanavians I've met seem to. That is hardly a thing unique to Britain.

Shaun - tell me about it. I am outta here the day I get a green card. Or whatever it is you need to get into Canuckistan or Australialand or Kiwiberg.

Then again, we did make Monty Python. That is close to the apex of laff right there.

Our taste in music makes me ashamed. Robbie Williams, really? come on!

As for comedy, Little Britain used to be funn, but then it just got a bit TOO repetitive. I never found Monty Python funny. I really don't get it.