Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FF8 Low level, no stat junction, no in battle magic or summoning, challenge.

Uhh.. yeah, a break.

I'm considering giving this challenge up, because I can already see that every boss battle is going to become a test of how fast I can use renzokuken.

Actually no, I won't give it up just yet. I still plan on continuing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lighter
    I'm considering giving this challenge up, because I can already see that every boss battle is going to become a test of how fast I can use renzokuken.
    How fast you can use Renzokuken? Please, explain. Doesn't any other command matter?

No. No commands make a difference, at least not that I've seen, except for the item command, and that's only when I'm dead. (Well, other limit breaks matter. I was just using renzokuken as a kind of adverb for all limit breaks)

Blog Entries

Awww, that sucks. Maybe allowing "Magic", but not "GF" would have been a good idea? You could make up for that by not upgrading weapons etc.

Perhaps that would have helped. (I haven't upgraded any weapons yet though, except for Quistis', but that was before I disabled weapon upgrades). I can't imagine using any type of magic other than perhaps Aura, though, which would kinda defeat the purpose.

Blog Entries

Hmmm... the weird thing is that, in my "command junctioning only (and all that other stuff) challange", commands could be extremely useful. Could it really just simply be so that the fact that you're at low levels makes the commands useless? This is weird. How much HP do your characters have? How many average hits can you take from bosses at this point in the game?

Default Go Go Green Lighter!

Brave. I just read the entire thread and am now, officially...Rooting for you.

Anyway. Disc 2 is going to be a Mother****er. I had enough trouble beating Seifer with a fully upgraded party and nice Lv.20 average between all three of my party members.

Edea is naturally going to be crazily hard to defeat as she's got those lovely, Gravity-magic type attacks that will deplete your health way too fast, nevermind the fact that a very tired, but yet kinda difficult Seifer precedes the battle with Edea

Good luck, man.
    My screen-name means "expert writer"

I don't care what any of you say! I loved Waterworld!

You can't please all the people all of the time, but I'm pretty sure you can piss them all of at said time.

I stopped this challenge about 8 minutes too soon. I picked it up again today and I cannot emphasize how difficult the battle with Fujin and Raijin is. I just got pwned.

Edit: I'm considering enabling weapon upgrades. What do you all think?

I guess if I'm going to try Ultima and Omega I'll have to upgrade my weapons. I just don't see how it's possible otherwise.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 02-26-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lighter
    I stopped this challenge about 8 minutes too soon. I picked it up again today and I cannot emphasize how difficult the battle with Fujin and Raijin is. I just got pwned.

Edit: I'm considering enabling weapon upgrades. What do you all think?

I guess if I'm going to try Ultima and Omega I'll have to upgrade my weapons. I just don't see how it's possible otherwise.
    First I'll just have to say: Wow, FINALLY an update! Try to keep it up this time.

As for Ultima and Omega... or at least for Omega... upgraded weapons will hardly make any difference. You'll probably have to rely on Angel Wings and Homing Laser for dammage, not Renzokuken. At least that's what I belive.

Anyways... if you want to enable weapons, then do so.

I can understand angel wing, but why homing laser? I seldom use it. Does it have special attributes that ignore defence or something?

Homing Laser has no special properties that I know of. Its just a regular magical attack.

Blog Entries

Well, I actually don't know either.

I only know that on level 99, without any status effecting junctioning it still always did 9999 dammage against Omega. And since the mag stat really wasn't all that high without status junctioning... I don't know if it's as effective on low levels, though.

However... phsycical attacks will most likely be completely useless.

Well, I beat Fujin and Raijin on my fourth try. I had the fight won on my third try, but I got cocky I lost the fight within a few minutes. I ended up winning with a good strategy, though. I had Zell equipped with Defend, Cover, and recover. I had him defend for the majority of the battle. Raijin seems to attack Zell more than anybody else, and so a good 2/3rds of Raijins attacks were wasted in this battle. When someone got low on HP Zell's recover ability would almost always kick in, but Zell would still take zero damage. With this setup I was able to pound both Fujin and Raijin into the ground with Renzokuken after Renzokuken. Selphie was my secondary healer. She's use potions and full-cure when she got the chance. I also had her equipped with auto-reflect, so every once and a while an aero spell would reflect off of her and smack Raijin for a good 160+ damage.

I'm supposed to be heading to the orphanage now, but I'm going to make a stop near cactuar Island and learn some abilities, mainly initiative and absorb. I also might try to get tonberry right now but I'm a little worried about getting Odin. I wouldn't want to end up in a random battle and have Odin come win it for me.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

About Homing Laser: my level 50s Quistis uses it, and sometimes it does straight 9s, other times it only does a few thousand. (On a meltdowned Omega Weapon, mind you.) This makes me wonder if theres some formula for it's damage? Meh.

Can't you not get Odin therefore

(SPOILER)Seifer doesn't kill him, so you don't get Gilgamesh either?

And, what about Tonberry? Or are you going to bother to get that summon? (For the shop abilities mostly.)

Concerning Homing Laser, the ability does not deal damage as a percentage of HP. I'm not completely sure of the formula, but the discrepancy Lookout Zeromus_X noticed might be the result of Quistis' Crisis Level (the determining factor for how many slashes Squall gets with Renzokuken, and so on). In the case of Quistis, this can dramatically affect the potency of her Blue Magic.

Anyway, nik, I wish you the best of luck with this challenge, and hope to see frequent updates.