Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FF8 Low level, no stat junction, no in battle magic or summoning, challenge.

Default niks FF8 Low level, no stat junction, no in battle magic or summoning, challenge.

Yeah, so basically I've decided to this challenge for FF8. As far as I know, I came up with this myself, and there isn't a guide on it on the internet anywhere. This, unfortunately, means that it may not be possible. However, at the moment I cannot see why this wouldn't be possible. I am allowed to equip things like str+20% mag+20%, enc none, etc. I'm also allowed to use abilities like Card, Kamikaze, etc. as well as abilities like Auto potion, auto-haste, auto reflect, and what have you. I'll also be able to use magic in the form of magic stones, but I won't be able to cast anything in battle. (Not much of a problem, since I don't ever do that anyway)

The card mod ability should be able to net me items worth using in battle, and if I prepare right, and with a little luck, I fail to see how I can't handle this challenge.

Also, I won't be counting any levels I gain when fighting cactuars. The difference will be far too miniscule to make a difference anyway, and I am not learning all of my abilities using the Quezacotl's card ability. It's just not worth my time.

Some disk one battles that should be extremely difficult: The battle with Diablos, and the Battle with Brothers. Also, Gerogero might prove to be tough if I don't play my cards right.

I am starting now.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

good luck! (you must be a challenge masochist! :O_0;;

This is already proving to be tough. Even Ifrit was moderately difficult. I had to calculate his HP in my head, so that I knew when I could deal the finishing blow, since I couldn't use scan. Unfortunatly he almost killed me, so I ended the battle with a little over four minutes remaining. This means that on the seed exam I am only going to get 50 points for the judgement portion of the test. Oh well.

This challenge is absolute proof that God exists, I couldn't ask for better proof that God exists than this challenge as evidence. All you need is eyes that can see and a brain that works.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Is "Magic" and "GF" the only commands that are banned? Can you still use, for example, "Draw", "Recover" and "Revive"?

Also... I've always thought low-level challanges in FFVIII would be easier than high-level challanges because of the leveling system... but does certain bosses have a pretty high "minimum level-limmit"? What I'm trying to ask is... will the low-level thingy actually make the challange harder?

Anyways... I would really like to try this challange out myself, but I've just started on a Xenosaga challange so... hmmm... oh, well... I'm pretty sure the Xenosaga challange won't take too long, so I'll try this one out as soon as I've completed the Xenosaga challange as long as something else doesn't get in the way.

Oh well... good luck, Nik!
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 01-22-2006 at 05:47 PM.

I think the low level thing will make the challenge more difficult. As far as I can tell, it's the extreme highs and lows that increase the difficulty in regards to leveling. Combined with no stat junctioning, a low level game should become very difficult. I cannot do more than 70 damage at this point, and I doubt that I'll be able to do more than 150 tops even with lionheart equipped. I sincerely do think low levels will make this game much harder. The reason a low level game tends to be easier than a high level game is because the enemies stay at low levels with low stats while you get to boost your characters stats with the junction system to an absurd degree. I won't have that advantage in this challenge.

As for commands, I'm considering banning recover and revive, but it all depends on how this challenge goes. I will, however, be able to use commands like Mad Rush, Card, etc. I will also be able to draw because I can refine magic into items.

Edit: I should also point out that in a low level game, my SeeD rank is affected. I won't be able to have a very high seed rank because i won't be able to take any tests to level it up.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 01-22-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I guess that's true. And since some bosses DOES have a minimum level-limmit, some battles could really get a lot tougher. And like you mentioned, the SeeD rank is affected.

Oh, and when I do this challange I'll absolutely attempt Omega, who gets an extreme advantage because of his permanent level 100. I'm not sure if it will be doable... but I'll definitively try.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Oh, and when I do this challange I'll absolutely attempt Omega, who gets an extreme advantage because of his permanent level 100. I'm not sure if it will be doable... but I'll definitively try.

I would honestly think that it can't be done. Without junctioning stats, and remaining at a low level, you would never reach 9999HP which alone makes it impossible. Then because your defense and magic defense would be supremely low, and omega's attack and magic attack being so high, every attack omega makes would kill you. But you've worked miricles before

Nik: Kamakazi i can see making this challenge somewhat easier. What with you staying on a low level, enemies and bosses HP wouldn't be very high. Kamakazi being able to break the 9999HP limit would perhaps kill most things in one shot. If not, it would still cut down the battle difficulty by half if you use it halfway in
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

That's true. It may be impossible without it though. I'm not going to ban any abilities at this point because I don't know if I absolutely need them or not. I'll try to do most battles without Kamikaze, however.

Edit: Okay, so it seems like this challenge is going to be freaking intense. Elvoret killed me. He won't be such a problem that I can't win, though. I can already see that this challenge is going to be much, much harder than my FFIX challenge.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 01-23-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shinangel2292
    Without junctioning stats, and remaining at a low level, you would never reach 9999HP which alone makes it impossible.
    Nope, it doesn't. There's still a ways to survive Megido Flame, without having 9999 HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Edit: Okay, so it seems like this challenge is going to be freaking intense. Elvoret killed me. He won't be such a problem that I can't win, though. I can already see that this challenge is going to be much, much harder than my FFIX challenge.
    Awww, crap! I almost want to let the Xenosaga challange wait and start this one at once!

Anyways... I've already got a plan for Omega. Normaly, refining the Laguna card into 100 hero's is cheap. But if it's the only way to beat Omega in this challange, then I don't mind. Invincible Moon can also make you invurnable, but you can't rely on it trough this battle at such low levels since just about all Omega's attacks will mean instant-death. And you can't get Invincible Moon 87 times in a row... so you would have to rely on Hero items. Against Terra Break, you can also use Defend. As for dammaging Omega... you could use Rinoa's angel wings + meteor. Quistis "acid" would reduce Omega's defense to 0 and also... doesn't "Homing Laser" do dammage based on the enemy's HP? In that case, you would atleast be able to do 9999 dammage with Quistis.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I can refine magic into items.
    No you can't.

Are you allowing Selphie's Slot magic to be used in battle? As you have banned use of magic in battle, are you including all Limit Breaks that cause magic-based damage?

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Anyways... I've already got a plan for Omega. Normaly, refining the Laguna card into 100 hero's is cheap. But if it's the only way to beat Omega in this challange, then I don't mind. Invincible Moon can also make you invurnable, but you can't rely on it trough this battle at such low levels since just about all Omega's attacks will mean instant-death. And you can't get Invincible Moon 87 times in a row... so you would have to rely on Hero items. Against Terra Break, you can also use Defend. As for dammaging Omega... you could use Rinoa's angel wings + meteor. Quistis "acid" would reduce Omega's defense to 0 and also... doesn't "Homing Laser" do dammage based on the enemy's HP? In that case, you would atleast be able to do 9999 dammage with Quistis.

That's a good idea. Lets make ourselves invincible for this "challenge"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Are you allowing Selphie's Slot magic to be used in battle? As you have banned use of magic in battle, are you including all Limit Breaks that cause magic-based damage?
    Yes. Selphie's slot magic is fair game. Also, I'm considering allowing myself to use scan magic. It doesn't cause any damage, and it pretty much wastes a turn. What do you guys think? Should scan be allowed?

Oh yeah, I beat Elvoret last night and escaped Dollet. I trained for a little bit, and then I went to bed. I'll probably be fighting Diablos today.

Blog Entries

Scan? Uh... why would that be necessary? Sure, it's useful for displaying Boss HP etc... but you can live without that, I guess...

It's not necessary at all. I just like using it. I'm not sure if I am going to enable it though.