Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default 5-Finger Discount

I recall we had a thread about stealing when Eyes on Plays VII was happening, and I think it would be handy to have another.

Now while it's obvious that bosses have handy gear tucked away (let's not guess where exactly), there are ordinary monsters that hold good items too. I guess. That's pretty much the point of the thread actually.

Tell me, and others, about some pretty awesome steals you've had. And feel free to complain about how long it took you to get the item, I know my Zidane is pretty sloppy when it comes to stealing.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I like stealing Ethers and Phoenix Pinions, as they get me a pretty penny (well, I don't sell all my Ethers, but I do sell Phoenix Pinions). Tons of enemies have them, too.

I like stealing the Striking Staff from-- Wait, scratch that, FFIX... Well, pretty much what Rantz said.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I have a large collection of potions and high potions from enemies, but they're not too fantastic. Useful now that I'm lacking Dagger, but other than that my steals have just been bosses.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

i stole 2 biker men from mars key rings when i was little and my mum went smurfin mental at me
    my own fault for grassing myself in i spose I cried aloud with mirth and merriment

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I mostly just steal from bosses on occassion I'll steal from a regular enemy, but that'll mostly get me a potion or phoenix down. What enemies carry pinions Rantzien?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The following enemies have Phoenix Pinions to steal: Abadon, Amarant, Amdusias (Treno), Behemoth, Blazer Beetle, Catoblepas, Crawler, Fang, Gargoyle, Garuda, Gnoll, Hecteyes, Hedgehog Pie, Ladybug, Landworm, Malaris (Crystal), Mandragora, Nymph, Ochu, Ogre, Python, Shell Dragon, Soldier (I), Soldier (II), Stroper, Tonberry, Torama, Vepal (Green), Vepal (Red), Veteran, Wraith (Red), Zuu.

This is of course off the top of my head and not copypasted from DrSlice - Games - Final Fantasy IX - Items - Phoenix Pinion

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll certainly keep an eye out for Phoenix Pinions. Never thought about trying to make cash out of them, but I'll be sure to try this time around.

I only ever bother stealing from bosses. And even then I'll usually check what items they have first to see if they have anything worth stealing!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I'm doing this thing where I try to get Zidane to steal at least once a battle so when I get thievery I won't have to train it up so much.

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

One thing I never really liked was how the bosses horded all the useful steals and the regular monsters had generic crap -- that really makes stealing pointless a lot of the time, 'less you're powering-up Thievery, trying to get ethers to sell, etc. There was a fun enjoyment in finding rare baddies to rob, and FFIX kinda went bust on that end. But it's really a small grievance in the face of FFIX's well-roundedness.

I guess the only real exciting steal I've ever had was getting Hilgigars' Fairy Flute, which, at this point, is a notoriously difficult catch -- some people play for hours just getting it. What's worse, the item actually sucks and is soon outclassed...haha.