Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PETA angling for fishermen to be kind to fish

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Default PETA angling for fishermen to be kind to fish

<a href="http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-fish25.html">Source</a>
    PETA angling for fishermen to be kind to fish

January 25, 2006

BY GARY WISBY Environment Reporter
    Advertisement

If we must kill fish, we should do it with kindness, PETA believes.

To alleviate the finny critters' pain and suffering, Illinois should require fishermen to follow a "Code of Angling Ethics" before they're issued a license, the animal rights group said Tuesday.

"Just like dogs and cats, fish feel pain, so if you wouldn't hook dogs through the mouth and drag them behind your car, you shouldn't hook fish through the mouth and drag them behind your boat," said Karin Robertson of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

'Do we have to have a paramedic along?'

Robertson, PETA's fish empathy project manager, said more than 500 research papers attest to fish intelligence. "They use tools -- there is a South African fish that lays its eggs on a leaf and transports them around on it to protect them from predators and strong currents," she said. "Fish socialize with each other and have very long-term memories."

The code, established by the National Marine Fisheries Service, urges careful handling and release of any unwanted fish.

Being hooked and lifted out of the water is a "horrible, painful, traumatic" experience for fish, Robertson said. Fishermen should use barbless hooks and handle fish with wet hands. Catch-and-release anglers should move quickly. "The longer fish are out of the water, the less oxygen they get and the more likely they are to die," she said.

Jack Vadas, owner of Vets Live Bait & Tackle on the Southeast Side, asked, "Do we have to have a paramedic along so fish can survive when we put them back in the water?"

Animals were put on this Earth for a purpose, he said. "The good Lord knew we were going to eat them. Who killed the fatted calf? What were those 12 apostles?"

Fish feel no pain, Vadas said. "How could you prove it?" he asked. "Fish can't say 'ouch!'"

Field Museum fish expert Philip Willink essentially agreed. "Fish react to stimulus, but so do plants and bacteria," he said. Is wounding a fish any different from mowing your lawn? "It doesn't appear to be -- but that doesn't mean it isn't."

A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, which issues fishing licenses, said, "We did receive the letter from PETA and are currently reviewing it."
    To me, this has got to be one of the funniest things PETA has done. The title of the article says it XD
    Last edited by edczxcvbnm; 01-26-2006 at 01:08 AM.

You have to be kidding me.

What can I say? I'm all for the humane treatment of animals, but sometimes PETA just take the piss. That said, it's pretty ignorant to believe that fish feel no pain just because they can't say "ouch."
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Which is odd, since PETA is for psychos.

Of course I <i>do</i> think mowing your lawn is a bit cruel. xD

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Dear lord....

I really wish I had something other to say, but words fail me....

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

PETA has got to be the stupidest organization and gathering of idiots on the face of this planet. Ever.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do like how the article seems to be angled in favor of the PETA. Many of the opposition quotes are rather ignorant.

I do love the paramedic comment though.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

This is especially stupid when you note that it's currently up in the air whether fish can actually feel pain or not.

now tifalockhart7 gonna come here and say she agrees and go on and on about animal cruelty

SMURF!!!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is this a joke? XD

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

and you think spears and knives don't hurt animals?(back in caveman times)

EXACTLY

Good for the fish.

It always brought me to tears to see anything (alive and intelligent or not) suffer, so this is good for me. Then again, I'm sorta crazy on this matter.

Edit: POST #1,000!!
    Last edited by Xaven; 01-27-2006 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonsEcho
    PETA has got to be the stupidest organization and gathering of idiots on the face of this planet. Ever.
    I agree, it is pretty pathetic. These people DO NOT care about the animals. They all live in mansions with six figure sum pay checks. I on the other hand, live on the west coast and have commercial fished before ( my dad owns fishing business ). The fish are not in pain, they were made to be eaten, they like to be eaten, they like knowing their purpose is being fulfilled. Its only when people interrupt the way things are supposed to happen that things get hairy...

The real truth is that these people seriously have no idea what its like to be a commercial fisherman. They dont know what its like to have someone bust in with a load of BS and make it ten times harder to bring in a living. Hopefully they'll mess with the wrong people some day...

PETA does not care about animals...only themselves...
    This comes from the son of a fisherman...so bite me...

Fish feel no pain, Vadas said. "How could you prove it?" he asked. "Fish can't say 'ouch!'"
    hahaha.
    The fish are not in pain, they were made to be eaten, they like to be eaten, they like knowing their purpose is being fulfilled.
    hahaha.

PETA does not care about animals...only themselves...
    This comes from the son of a fisherman...so bite me...
    Because you're the son of a fisherman, you are somehow more qualified than others to [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]-talk PETA?

...hahaha.

Treating animals humanely is a personal responsibility. You don't have to take precautions to minimize an animals suffering. You're just a bad person if you don't. Simple as that.