Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on Gau

Default Some thoughts on Gau

I must say that Gau is my least favorite character in the FFVI. Aside from the incoherent blabber, I just don't find him all that useful. I never know which rage to pick when fighting and once you pick one that's it, he's into rage mode and there's no stopping him. Reminds me of the beserker class from V which I never cared to use. I also don't really see all that much difference between the rage skills themselves. Yeah I know that each skill has an attack and some other sort of effect but since I can't control when that special skill is used there's not a whole lot of strategy with him. On top of that, if you want to expand his rage abilities you have to wander about the Veldt and then listen to Gau's ramblings over and over and over, "Vwah oooo, I'm Gau!"

So, am I the only one that feels this way, or do you find him and essential party member and can't play VI without him. Post your opinions!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I find him more useful than Mog, but the second worst.

Him and Setzer are always aboard the airship while I'm in Kefka's Tower. That is, if I bother to get him. Granted, he can be useful, but it's not worth the trouble.
    Last edited by abrojtm; 01-27-2006 at 03:46 AM.
    Sigless

I never use him unless I have to. I usually leave him behind when I go to Kefka's tower.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I usually don't use Gau much in battle, but he's a great character.

Gau is the most powerful character in the game until way later on. Use Brawler and Stray Cat early on... in fact, keep using those. They're pretty much the best physical attacks possible at that point in the game.

that said, I don't use him much, mostly because I prefer to have complete control over my characters.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

ha!you simply dont know what rage to pick.that's the main problem here.once you know what to pick,gau becomes way cooler than most.

>nightshade (charm) = favorite!!!
    >rhodox (snare) = 2nd favorite!
    >stray cat (catscratch) = good
    >io (flare star) = good
    >doom dragon (n.cross) = good
    >tyranosaur (meteor) = good
    >retainer (shock) = good
    >marshal (wind slash) = good
    >magic urn (cure 3 + all elem prevention + all status prevention) = good

you simply have to know what rage to use when...
    "I'll tell you one thing... The truly mighty ones don't flaunt their power. How can I describe it to you? The sly eagle hides its claws."
    -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX

I forget what I used, but the group Gau was in when I first played the game, at the end of the game, you have those three bosses before Kefka, when you're split into three teams. Gau's team got wiped out. Except he was raged as something that kept getting healed by the boss's attack. His attack was weak, but he couldn't be killed. So I just went to take a shower, and the battle was won when I returned :D <3 I'll always love him for that.

ah, 'tis a shame you don't know what it was, then. i might have started using him... him and relm are usually left behind. but i've never fully explored the potential of each character, i just stick with the ones i personally like the most. (locke, shadow, setzer and gogo usually)
    Last edited by charchar; 01-27-2006 at 06:28 PM.
    i'm probably the biggest Prodigy fan you don't know.

I don't even remember which of the three bosses it was (though I think I'd know it if I saw it). So I'm not sure knowing which rage would be much help.

The rages list I made for the site awhile back listed the characteristics of each rage, but it doesn't appear to work anymore
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Gau and Relm are the only characters that I never use. They're worthless

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Next time I play, maybe I'll give these characters a try. I've never given them much thought either. Maybe I'll make a team of Gau, Relm, Strago, and Setzer. Those are the four I use the least. I'm gonna try that. I'll put that on my list of things to do. I think it'll give me some new light on these characters, and add a little replay value.

Well, I wouldn't call Gau useless. He's certainly not as valuble as Sabin, but he isn't useless. I like him more than Umaro because Umaro is perma-rage. At least you have some say in Gau's actions. However, Gau is a well-developed important character. And if I have a lot of time on my hands, it's fun to try and get all of his rages. I've never gotten every single one, but I've gotten to about 80% or so. It's tough, because if you missed any monsters on your way through the game, the won't appear on the Veldt later. That's why one time, I had a monster list nearby, and I made sure to kill at least one of every monster before leaving any given place or area.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm is all but useless - as it is well known, she's got the best magic stats of all.
    I don't like much Gau. I always end up not training him at all.