Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "I hate the random rule" thread

One of the easiest ways around random is to mod all of your crappy cards.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    One of the easiest ways around random is to mod all of your crappy cards.
    You wouldn't be able to collect every card then.

Speaking of this rule, whaddya rekon is the easiest way to get the Laguna card without too much Loss??

I usually save and keep re starting until i get it.. is there an easier way??

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Oath View Post
    Speaking of this rule, whaddya rekon is the easiest way to get the Laguna card without too much Loss??

I usually save and keep re starting until i get it.. is there an easier way??
    Play a game and then immediately quit until a rule gets abolished. Since you can only abolish one rule while in space, get rid of the one that gives you the most trouble. Keep reseting until that rule gets abolished, then try to get Laguna. I abolished Random and didn't have much trouble winning.

Piet has the Alexander card, btw. That is needed for the Queen of Cards sidequest, if you're doing that.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can get a Star for having all the cards if you mod them, it just counts if you *have* had them.

I usually just get laguna after all the commotion is over and the queen of cards is in the little area in disk 4.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    You can get a Star for having all the cards if you mod them, it just counts if you *have* had them.

I usually just get laguna after all the commotion is over and the queen of cards is in the little area in disk 4.
    I'd rather have every slot filled than have the gold star.

Blog Entries

I played Triple Triad online for a long time and I've come to love Random. And Same and Plus. And Elemental. And Open is the devil.

Random rule is only a pain early on in the game. The only real useful function the cards have is to refine into items (unless you enjoy playing just for fun). When you need items such as jet engines or the like just refine all your low level cards into whatever you fancy, sell what you get (if you need the gil) so you are just left with high level cards and hey presto, random rule, eat my ("-- insert regional term --").

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

Just refine all your crappy cards so you'll be sure you'll be playing with good cards.

It's actually harder than it seems

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice sig wiffles.. and i agree

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

Tee hee thanks it's Koda Kumi

And yeah getting rid of crappy cards is so hard cus sometimes you need like 5 or 10 of them to refine into an item and when you only need one more... it's such a pain

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

When I started to properly play Triple Triad in FFVIII, it was the Random rule I really hate. I like to at least have a degree of choice over which cards to use, rather than being lumbered with a bunch of rubbish cards plus a character card, meaning that the risk of losing the character card is much higher because your other cards can't pick up the slack.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Random is what gives the game quality.

You can relate it to the general gameplay of ff8 (or ff in general really)

1) there are physical and magical attacks
    2) there are little other techniques and statuses that no one ever uses because the first two are so successful.

1.a) there are really strong player cards that have amazing stats
    2.a) there are other cards that no one ever bothers with because the player cards are so successful.

Random is the game's little way to remind you that being able to obliterate everything isn't the only kind of fun you should be striving for. Earning your obliteration through cunning and skill is also worth striving for.
    Ok, let's use that analogy.

Is there anyone around who would not quit playing an FF game that randomly decided on your battle party at the start of each engagement, forcing you to over level some characters, underlevel others, and use characters you hate? Sorry, but Random isn't "quality", it's just annoying.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

We call that final fantasy 4, actually. Except it was decided for the whole game 8) Also, that analogy was from september ;P way to be belated in replying.

If you don't play with random, it's just boring after a while. The point of games is to CHALLENGE you. If you have a similar card set to your opponent, then winning random battles consistancy is a sign of skill. Edea, for example 8)

Seriously, if you're playing the game just so you can win every time, that's a terrible reason. But maybe you prefer games where you aren't a few potions away from total annihilation the entire time (like I was with ff4 incidentally xD)

I not only hated that rule. I hated all of triple triad. It sucked that you had to play it to get the best weapons. Terrible terrible mini game and the one who came up with it should be smacked. Tetra master was a little better.