Thread: card game

card game

please help, i still dont get how the card game works, i read some where that the first number is the attack, second is the type of attack, third is physical defense and second is magic defense. but every now and again a weak card beats one of my strong ones even though it shoudn't, is there something i dont know or is my computer just messed up?

tetra master (the card game of ffix) is very complicated to describe in a single post.but i'll explain as much as i can.or maybe you should go to gamefaqs.or google it.

a newly placed card with an arrow pointing to an enemy's card without a corresponding arrow causes the enemy's card to turn to the color of the newly placed card.in this case,the values on the card doesnt matter at all.if there is a corresponding arrow,however,a card battle ensues.

every card has four values printed on it.let's say a card has values 0P12.the four values signify power as follows:

0 (first value) : attack power (0 to 9,A to F hexadecimal)
    P (second value) : attack type (P,M,X or A)
    1 (third value) : physical defense (0 to 9,A to F hexadecimal)
    2 (fourth value) : magical defense (0 to 9,A to F hexadecimal)

when a card battle ensues,the card that was just placed becomes the attacking card,and the card that was challenged becomes the defending card.

the number that appears on the attacking card is dependent on its attack power.every attack power represents a range of possible values as follows:

0 : 1 to 16
    1 : 17 to 32
    2 : 33 to 48
    3 : 49 to 64
    4 : 65 to 80
    5 : 81 to 96
    6 : 97 to 112
    7 : 113 to 128
    8 : 129 to 144
    9 : 145 to 160
    A : 161 to 176
    B : 177 to 192
    C : 193 to 208
    D : 209 to 224
    E : 225 to 240
    F : 241 to 256

at the beginning of the card battle,the game checks the attack power of the attacking card and picks a number within the range corresponding to the attack power and shows that number on the face of the attacking card.

next,the game checks the attack type of the attacking card,and takes the defense power of the defending card based on the attack type of the attacking card as follows:

P : physical defense of the defending card becomes the defense power
    M : magical defense of the defending card becomes the defense power
    X : the lower of the two defense values (physical and magical) of the defending card becomes the defense power
    A : the lowest of the three values (physical defense,magical defense and attack power) of the defending card becomes the defense power

once the game has chosen the defense power of the defending card,the game then picks a number within the range corresponding to the defense power (in the same way that the game picks the number for the attacking card) and shows that number on the face of the defending card.

that part is simply the setup.the real card battle begins here.

now,there are values on the faces of the attacking card and the defending card.

for the attacking card,the game picks a number from 1 to the value on the face of the attacking card.the game then subtracts that number to the value on the face of the attacking card.the game does the same for the defending card.the card that ends up with the higher value after the subtraction,wins the battle.

let's simulate a card battle to see those methods in action.

card 1 has values 0P12 and card 2 has values 3X21.player 1 places card 1 on the field.player 2 then challenges card 1 by his card 2 and the cards enter battle.at this point,card 2 becomes the attacking card,and card 1 becomes the defending card.

for card 2 (the attacking card),the game checks its attack power.the game reads 3.from the table i gave above,a value of 3 would correspond to the range 49 to 64.the game then picks a number from that range.let's pick 55.the game then shows the number 55 on the face of card 2.this value (55) becomes the value that you see on your screen.

next,the game checks the attack type of card 2.the game reads an attack type X.the game reads the defense values of card 1,and reads 1 for physical defense,and 2 for magical defense.the game then chooses 1 as the defense power of card 1 because the attack type X chooses the lower defense value of card 1 (as explained above).

the game then checks the range corresponding to the value of 1.it sees the range 17-32.the game then picks a number from that range.let's pick 28.the game then shows the number 28 on the face of card 1.this value (28) becomes the value that you see on your screen.

battle begins.

for card 2 (the attacking card),the game picks a number from 1 to 55.let's pick 38.the game then subtracts 38 from 55,yielding 17.

the game does the same thing for card 1 (the defending card).the game picks a number from 1 to 28.let's pick 12.the game then subtracts 12 from 28,yielding 16.

the final value on the face of card 2 is 17.the final value on the face of card 1 is 16.therefore,since card 2 has the higher final value,card 2 wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullick
    but every now and again a weak card beats one of my strong ones even though it shoudn't, is there something i dont know or is my computer just messed up?
    no,your computer is not messed up.it is possible (though highly unlikely) for weak cards to beat strong cards.let's see a battle of strongest vs weakest.

card 1 has 0P00 (worst possible,tied with 0M00).card 2 has FAFF (best possible).player 1 places card 1 on the field.player 2,feeling confident that his card 2 is much stronger,challenges card 1 by his card 2 and the cards enter battle.at this point,card 2 becomes the attacking card,and card 1 becomes the defending card.

for card 2 (the attacking card),the game checks its attack power.the game reads F.from the table i gave above,a value of F would correspond to the range 241 to 256.the game then picks a number from that range.let's pick 248.the game then shows the number 248 on the face of card 2.this value (248) becomes the value that you see on your screen.yes,it is huge,but still isnt,in any sense,undefeatable.

next,the game checks the attack type of card 2.the game reads an attack type A.the game reads the values of card 1,and reads 0 for attack power,0 for physical defense,and 0 for magical defense.the game then chooses 0 as the defense power of card 1 because the attack type A chooses the lowest of the values of card 1 (as explained above),and also because the game doesnt have much of a choice other than 0.

the game then checks the range corresponding to the value of 0.it sees the range 1-16.the game then picks a number from that range.let's pick 12.the game then shows the number 12 on the face of card 1.this value (12) becomes the value that you see on your screen.this value might seem small,but read on to see how it wins.

battle begins.

for card 2 (the attacking card),the game picks a number from 1 to 248.let's pick 241.the game then subtracts 241 from 248,yielding 7.

the game does the same thing for card 1 (the defending card).the game picks a number from 1 to 12.let's pick 2.the game then subtracts 2 from 12,yielding 10.

the final value on the face of card 2 is 7.the final value on the face of card 1 is 10.therefore,card 1 wins,no matter how puny it seems.it's the classic david vs goliath.

note:this "phenomenon" is highly unlikely,but the point is,it is possible.
    "I'll tell you one thing... The truly mighty ones don't flaunt their power. How can I describe it to you? The sly eagle hides its claws."
    -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX

Quote Originally Posted by yuno
    for the attacking card,the game picks a number from 1 to the value on the face of the attacking card.the game then subtracts that number to the value on the face of the attacking card.the game does the same for the defending card.the card that ends up with the higher value after the subtraction,wins the battle.
    So is this a completely random selection?
    "Not having a guitar is like not having a girlfriend - only worse" - Wiggy
    "There are only two ways to live your life: the first is as if nothing is a miracle, the second as if everything is" - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by profskett
    So is this a completely random selection?
    yeah...
    Last edited by yuno; 02-08-2006 at 01:21 PM.
    "I'll tell you one thing... The truly mighty ones don't flaunt their power. How can I describe it to you? The sly eagle hides its claws."
    -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX