Thread: 3ds max 7 renders

Default 3ds max 7 renders

Okay, well, this year I school I'm taking a class on creating 3D models and animations. It's really just the basics, but it's been a lot of fun and I've definetly learned a lot.

Anyway, these are just some .jpg renders I took of a few of the projects we've done. I'm linking to them for those with slow connections. Also, much of these were created with help, either form the instructor or the ever-handy Help menu.

First, this is a scene we did inside a capillary of blood vein. The main focus was to create a fairly convincing texture to use, which was a big pain in the neck. But overall, I'm pleased with it.

Image 1
    Image 2

Next, we have a shipyard. The emphasis here was on creating good lighting and water effects, which is why the building, grass, and trees are pretty low detail The ship itself it from another project I'll get to later. The building in the far back I didn't make, we just added it to get used to inserting structures from other projects.

Image 1
    Image 2

Here we have my final exam project, a bowling alley. I did the whole thing in about two hours, and spent a good third of that on the pin itself. It was surprisingly challenging, and you had to kind of be creative to get it to work right. The rest is just basic shapes with pre-made material skins on them.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

This one is a cave scene. We made it a while back, and I think it turned out okay. I wish I'd been able to make a better material skin for the wooden posts, but meh. The second image shows it floating in space, which is how it looks in the program.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

Recognize this? It the boat from the Shipyard project. It's actually a model of the Monitor, a ironclad from the American Civil War. It's actually just a bunch of shapes fused together, with the only real challenging part being the hull. We made this before learning how to apply skins, and so it is just a gray color.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

Next, we have a futuristic space fighter. Again, this is pre-skinning, so I just made it a nice, white color. This took awhile to get, since it involved a bunch of tweaking with the vertices in order for it to look right. For this we used a blueprint as a guide, and built up from there.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

Finally, we have a little thing I did while I was bored. It's just a model of the phone in our classroom. Real basic, took me maybe half an hour, but it was a nice change of pace.

Image 1

Anyway, just let me know what you guys think, and if you've used 3ds max before and have tips, please do share them. Oh, and also be on the lookout for another thread like this around July, when I'll post all of my second semester projects. We're getting into the animation portion of it, and it's pretty sweet. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good animations to have hosted and show you guys.
    Last edited by Rase; 02-08-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Nice renders..
    I remember used to have the fun of my life with those 3D programs, sadly I lost all the stuff I created, and right now also the interest in creating 3D stuff. I hope that change.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Holy s**t. Very nice! I'm only just starting with 3ds max, so I've got a long way to go. I'm only just learning the basics of modeling, but it's something I want to take seriously in the future. If you did them, you must be good. Are there any books you'd recommend maybe, that you used to acquire your skills?

Thanks you guys.

Well, as I am taking it through a ROP program at my school, the only book we use is this big old instruction/lesson book that we have. I'm not sure of the exact name, but I could get it for you tomorrow.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Wouldn't you need to scan it in? Well, only if it isn't too much trouble. My current 3ds max work is trying to figure out how to model maps for the video game Halo. I've managed to get the map geometry in, but the textures are really screwed up, and I have no idea why. Oh well, nothing anyone on a Final Fantasy forum will know about. So yeah, if getting that book wouldn't be too much trouble, it'd be nice, thanks. I've only really had any experience with modeling terrain, so I haven't really modeled an object yet. :/

I meant just, like, finding out the title of the book for you.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

XD! Riiight! Okay, I was gonna say, if were school material it would probably be copyrighted or whatever. But sure! I just need to get that job. -_-

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

hmm
    ...Geddit?