Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFV "challenge" thread

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Nah elixers are only purchaseable in World 3 - Mirage Town...i dont know about monsters though, someone else will have to mention that
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

I decided to run from the battles in there anyway. I only played for five mins while i was away and defeated carbunkle. so just gilgy and x-death left for world two
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Done any more recently?

Actually... no. but i dont have plans today so i'll get right on it
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

O M G ! ! !

That was intense!!!

OK so heres the lowdown...

First i fought Gilgamesh. Every item i equipped was essential to beating him. heres what i had:

Bare class fighter

Weapon 1: Bloodsword
    Weapon 2: Flame shield

Head: Ribbon
    Body: Bonemail
    Relic: Elf cloak

Ability 1: Aim
    Ability 2: Time2

Gilgy was WAY to fast for me and had some nasty attacks. So firstly i cast haste to beat his speed. The Bloodsword still heals you even if your wearing Bonemail so equipped with the Aim ability i could deal damage and heal in the same turn. The combined power of my flame shield and Elf cloak meant i had an insane evasion rate! I think he managed just one physical attack on me, the rest were all evaded. He would attack with all sorts of status spells including toad and mini which still worked regardless of my ribbon so i had to use items to heal from them. He also had hurricane which knocks me down to single digits which is why being faster than him was essential coz i needed to heal before he could attack again. And he also had dischord but thankfully he only used it once. So i was protected from the worst, prepared against the rest and overcame the odds by being able to attack and heal simultaneously.

X-Death straight after though. I knew he cast Condemn at the beginning of the battle so i was prepared to have to defeat him fast. I wore a wall ring in hope of scoring extra damage by having his spells reflect onto himself, and used a ninja for the throw ability and threw excalipur for 5500HP damage then followed with shurikens for 2500HP thereafter. But condemned took me out alot faster then i thought it would.

Condemned is a form of instant death, so i tried again and this time i wore Bonemail which protects from attacks like Doom. (equiped with the bloodsword and Aim again so i could heal) But condemned still took me out.

Then i thought i would use $toss again like my fast kill on Atamos. This time though i was only reaching just over 4000HP damage instead of the 5500HP i was reaching on Atamos. BUT OMG X-death didnt cast condemn at the start of the battle this time, so although i am one skint samurai now, i used the only means of doing damage i had and finished him with $toss. Was incredabley intense. And after all the that, X-death kills himself by reflecting Ice3 off my reflect i didn't even get the finishing blow

Abyways i have just warped into world three. Or technically world one and two. And now i need a dose of nicoteen to calm me after all that exitement

OMG ive beaten world one and two with a single character

I'm not too sure how hard world three will be. I think i'm definitley running from nearly all the battles. The dungeons are very long and i have just one elixer and one ether and a disgraceful 60,000 to my name. I am really REALLY worried about Minotauras and Omniscient but we'll see how i go

World three:

Antlion: Took a little while because i wasn't inflicted a very high amount of damage. I opted for the Bloodsword+Aim combo so i could attack and heal at the same time.

The pyramid: Lots of forced battles in here i couldn't run from. The whitesnakes went down to a single spell. The Mechaheads gave me trouble at first because they have a high HP, but they are weak against bolt so casting Bolt3 inflicted 5500HP. The4y survived it but holding a Bolt rod increased the damage from a Bolt3 spell to 8000HP which meant one-hit-kills for them. And the mummies went down to the same method exept i held a Fire rod to increase the power of Fire3 which they were weak to.

Mellusion was a joke. I went in there with a wall ring so she would cast Ice/fire or bolt3 and would reflect to heal her about 700HP. I then switched to the apropriote rod and cast the opposite inflicting 7000-8000HP. Quick battle.

I then went to Mirage town and bought a pair of Winged shoes which is my favoured relic. Instant initiative and constant haste2. Picked the Magus rod masamune and excalibur as my first three weapons but i have yet to use them.

The island containing the second lithograph would have been hell. But with instant iniatitive i could flee from all the battles. Exept for a few i found in chests, including a boss: Invisable which i was unprepared for. I had a ninja so threw what shurikens i had and some mithril knives.

Stalker wasn't as bad as i expected him to be. But he was still a pain. I lost so many turns attacking the wrong segment. He also used Hurricane alot which meant i used up all the elixers i had found in the pyramid and this dungeon. I used a samurai with the summon command to beat him. Summoned Golem so i wouldn't have to worry about physical damage, then attacked normally with masamune. Wasn't overly effective but got the job done.

Fork towers are next and im afraid my road could end here This is really gunna put my skills to the test

You're so awesome

*bows*

Trust No one

Minotauras was a looooong battle but it was fool proof. Wore winged shoes for haste and stood in the front row. Then used the Guard command and relied on counter attacks for damage. I was using Krile at level 20 ( i levelled Galuf to level 20 for his one on one Gilgamesh battle) I was only inflicting 200 damage a hit (two hits for a monk) and would only counter once every four or so turns. Also i wouldnt counter when he used "critical" only for his normal attack so the battle lasted a very long time. But he fell in the end.

Omniscient wasn't the challenge i thought he was going to be. I wore winged shoes again for the instant haste and initiative. I cast Image straight away then endured a fire1 spell which hit for zero damage. Then i Beserked him and used Hydra to attack. I was using a white mage and hoped i could use Holy after just aquiring it from Minotauras but i wasn't given it till after this battle. So i killed him with the very last of my MP

For some reason i decided to challenge bahamut next o_0 He was a HUGE disapointment. The battle went something like this...

Bartz: Cast shell
    Bartz: cast Reflect
    Bartz: summon Golem
    Bartz: Cast Holy (2500HP)
    Bahamut: Meg Flare (reflected onto himself for 2500HP)
    Bahamut: Aquarake (a pathetic 250HP on me)
    Bahamut: Poisenbreath (0HP damage...poisened)
    Bartz: used antidote
    Bartz Cast Holy (2500HP)
    Bahamut: physical attack (golem absorbed the damage)

I cant remember exactly how the next few turns went... much the same though. I used my last Holy spell and had just 18MP left so didn't know how i would hurt him (as my choice of a white mage with the summon command couldn'y do much without MP and i had no elixers) I opted to cast reflect on myself and Bahamut used Meg flare immediatley after which reflected and killed him killed him on my first try and it wasn't difficult in the least.

I'm still on level 45 as i havn't fought a single random battle since being in world 3. I don't plan to fight battles in the dungeons containing lithographs 3 and 4 so all i have left to worry about in world 3 is Odin, Triton neregeid and phobos and leviathan. I may go through pheonix tower too although i never need pheonix and there are no bosses as such in there. When i get to the cleft of dimension, i plan to walk by omega and come back for him after aquiring Ragnarok. I'm not sure that im really worried about any of the remaining bosses apart from Omega. Defeating him may mean alot of levelling :S

Man how do you do it?!?!
    I've just about finished world one anf Soul cannon nearly whooped me and I have all the characters!
    You are a god

Trust No one

he's no god, he just has more time to play the game than we do XD

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

its good that your doing so well. i wish i could do challenges like this. i trie a solo monk FF1 challenge. i didnt fail but i just got bored because it was only canstant leveling up and no skill required. i could do challenges but they have to be fun and interesting instead of just repetitive and boring. good luck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

I'm exactly the same... a lot of challenges (no equipment, bare class only etc) must be very boring and repetetive. This one is very interesting as every boss or enemy fight is tackled very differently.

I'm sorry to say to everyone that i have sold my PS2. I will now only get time to progress in my challenge when i go to my GF's house in liverpool which is for just a few days every month. I still have every intention of completing this challenge and i'm close to the end so there will be updates but they won't be often.

booooo :\

Bolt3 sword plus X-Fight plus Two Hands might do you good for Omega. I don't know what your stats will need to be in order to make each hit 9999, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neel Hates Clout's Guts
    booooo :\

Bolt3 sword plus X-Fight plus Two Hands might do you good for Omega. I don't know what your stats will need to be in order to make each hit 9999, though.

The damge with a fully powered brave blade and ragnarok will reach 7200HP on omega which is enough to kill him. So i COULD one-hit-kill him, but ive been a chicken concerning all battles since X-deaths castle so without a fully powered braveblade im looking at having to level up some 20 levels :S

I can hopefully pick this up in a couple of weeks... probabley won't finish it then... but hopefully not too long from then.

Bah, I always forget about Brave Blade and Chicken Knife when I play until its too late. I should be more consistent in fighting battles >_< Wait does Chicken Knife increase as you run or decrease as you fight? It may be in your interest to power up Chicken Knife if its the former.