Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFV "challenge" thread

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Default FFV "challenge" thread

I say challenge but i doubt it will be tbh. More just a bit of fun.

Firstly i should mention that i may not start this for at least a week, most two weeks but i am really looking forward to it so thought i'd get a thread going.

Basically, i want to beat final fantasy five with a single player.
    Some of you may have read the single player x-death challenge i attempted which is kinda the biggest hurdle already jumped. I did a single player verses shinryu two days ago too so thats that covered. But earlier on in the game or through world two when you don't have all the available abilities i have now may prove to be tough. I'm thinking Archeoavis and Atomos to be tough.

But before i start i want some opinions on how i should aproach Minotauras and Omniscient. I don't have a choice about using another character here. I would really like to finish the game with three of my characters on their initial levels. But i have a high chance of being owned that way. I may be able to beat them by teaching a level 3 character high ability skills but leveling the AB points without leveling up would take a decade with the amount i'd need.

Also, does anybody wish to accompany me on my "challenge"? Might spark some interest in here and we could compare notes after certain events
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

I got owned in the wind shrine i was actually scared to go back in there. Scared of the first dungeon not a good start!
    There are winged creatures in there that use aero which hits for about 70HP. So i levelled my character to level 9 and tried to avoid battles in there. A back attack is seriously deadly atm. In fact it's pretty much instant game over.

Wing raptor died with the help of some tonics

Now I'm going to level a few more levels. I just made my character a Monk so he has noticabley more HP and his 'Kick' can defeat a group of enemies outside the windshrine in one go so no more being punched by enemies that always out number me

Edit: For the next boss (karl boss in the canal) i was going to need cure coz tonics weren't cutting it anymore. But a white mage couldn't actually hurt anything so i learned black1 and gave that to a mage to train for white1. Then put white1 on my monk. Karl boss got in first attack which paralysed me, then he tail screwed me and finished me off before i could do a thing. I'm at level 12 at this point and all i can really do is level up. Theres nothing to protect from paralyses and no spells like regan are available yet to heal without needing to execute a move so i'm pretty much stuck.
    Might have to rely on luck and see if i can avoid being paralysed, then i might stand a chance. Being a little bit faster from gaining a few levels might help too. The extra HP i get from being a monk class isn't really helpful in this battle so i'll aim for speed and use a Theif.

I don't like being owned, i'll try again tomorrow
    Last edited by Shin Gouken; 02-13-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

wow, good luck dude! i could never ever try these wacky challenges people make up, so definitely good luck

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

if you learn a lot of magic and doublecast and go onto a bare class to maximise to the amount of abilities you can use you should have a good chance but you will need tons of leveling up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Leveling up will be difficult with only one party member but it will also be quick, with him getting everyone elses EXP

At the place where i am now, i only have Black mage, whitemage, Blue mage, Theif, Monk and Knight. So i'll have to use my brain to beat this next boss. I'm trying again soon so i'll see how it goes.

I agree with you about learning Redx2. The key to this challenge is to be able to do more than one thing in a turn.

EDIT:
    Progress report : I think i have an idea how to wipe this boss off the face of the planet (errm maybe) I need to learn an ability which needs 60 ability points to learn so i'm doing that now. Which means i'll gain a few levels. Fingers crossed
    Last edited by Shin Gouken; 02-14-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Okay, i levelled up to a pretty respectable level18 in the torna canal. The enemies there don't attack males so i didn't have to heal at all.

Originally i was going to give a Knight the Counter command and just Gaurd. I'm hitting for 400HP damage a turn so i only needed to hit him twice. But he always got first attack and paralyzed me. Which meant i was helpless.

When i was levelling up, i watched my speed stat and it didn't increase at all regardless of what job class i used. My character as a Monk or Knight had just 26 on his speed stat but as a theif he had a nice 41. So i switched for a theif for this battle and gave him the Barefist command so he could inflict the same damage he did as a monk. I got first attack and hit for 400HP. He Used Tentacal as expected and paralyzed me. Then by shear luck he used an ordinary attack instead of his Tail screw. After being paralyzed my time bar resets so he gets another attack and used Tail screw then. That put me on single digit HP but i get a turn next because i'v recovered from paralysis so i hit him again to finish him. Phew

I saved in the ship graveyard near Siren and will attempt her likley on thursday. I don't take her to be too difficult.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

redx2 will be a bugger to get though. it take 999 point to learn so just go to a point where the enemies give you a lot of AP and stay there for a while.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

If i started training one now, i probabley would still be training come world three. I'll use pheonix tower for a quick boost and level in the area where you find Odin. I can probabley do without it until then i think.

Quick update. Destroyed siren (level 18) destroyed magissa and faltzer (level 19) and destroyed graula (level 20)

all pretty easy because of the levelling up i did in prep for karl boss.

Now im just learning black2 in prep for the shiva battle. the off to karnak

Sorry for not updating this very often, im not playing much.

Shiva went down against my awesome power (level 23) and liquidflame went down (level 24)

ATM i have left the fire ship after defeating liquidfllame (aparantley you can do that) and have saved. I need to learn the Blue mage skill "learning" before i do the karnak escape mission. I really need to learn "doomclaw" from ironclaw before i leave. Doomclaw also paralyses so i need to grab the ribbon on the way out and use a bare class fighter with a learning skill and ribbon equipped to survive it without being KO'd from being reduced to single digit HP and being paralysed.

It seems pretty easy but that is because of the mass levelling up i had to do to survive Karl boss. Shiva was a little challenging but nothing i couldn't handle. Garula was so easy. A Protes spell to protect from his physicals and then inflicted most damage from counter attacking. Liquidflame dies in three hit from having ice2 cast on a sword which did over 1000HP damage a shot. I could even have made that easier by learning 2-handed, but it didn't matter because even with all the missed attacks (high eveade rate that bugger) i still disposed of him quickly. But the super challengers will come later. Like i said before, Archeoavis and Atamos may prove to be very tough. The elderly tree boss is normally a tough one, but i'm sure he won't prove too difficult. X-death who casts Condemn at the start of the battle may be tough because i will have to defeat him before the countdown reaches zero. Bahamut might (MIGHT) be tough but i havn't decided yet whether or not im worried about him.

I am going to have to raise another character from his base level, and it will have to be Galuf. He will fight one on one with Gilgamesh and later krile will fight Omniscient. So long as every battle is fought with only a single character, then it shouldn't matter who that character is.

So far, the most annoying thing has been the enemies which confuse you. I have been favoring the Monk class and have learned HP+10% with it already. The kick attack has been my best friend. So when i become confused, i kill myself with my first attack. Random battles may prove to be more challenging than the bosses. I can be outnumbered 5 to 1 in a random encounter, and if that's a back attack, i'm pretty much screwed. I have died at least 4 times from back attacks. That's why i stick with my Monk class, he has high HP and inflicts a decent amount of damage on all enemies with his Kick attack. But i know that won't help me much as i progress through the game. I'll have to see how it goes. I know i'm not giving up easy though

Well, good luck with the rest of the game. I must say...It truly would be a feat if you did beat the game with only one character( however unlikely though).

thanx. I'm really confident though. Just a couple of hurdles to get by but most of it should be simple enough

EDIT:

Update: Hmmmmm Doomclaw still parlyses you regardless of being equiped with a ribbon. But his other ttacks did 0 damage so he couldn't kill me. So i learned it no probs.

I took the easy route with Ifrit and Byblos and used elemental rods to finish them quickly. Then used Doomclaw on Ramuh to finish him quickly (despite it failing the first three times, probabley would have been quicker to punch him with my monk) Then slughtered a Quadrharpy to get Aquarake and finished the sandworm quickly too.
    Last edited by Shin Gouken; 02-27-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Defeated the very easy Clay claw. Adamantaim put up a fight but i finished him in one go. I couldn't kill him quickly with level 5 doom because i can't learn it.

The cannons outside the ronka ruins werent too much trouble. My coral ring meant the flame cannons couldn't hurt me, and the missile cannons only take half of your current HP so they werent really a threat.

Sol cannon however took me three tries. From the first try i learned i'd never beat him without haste. But hadn't learned any time magic so just equiped a time mage. Mainly i just broke Bolt rods (about 6 until i ran out) but he puts up a defense thing so they werent really doing alot of damage. His beam cannon got me about 5 times during the battle, and it takes half of your maximum HP. So i switched my lightening rod to the healing staff a lot to heal. (theres no upgrade to tonics yet, and i didnt want to waste the elixers ive found in chests)
    I also cast regan on mayself but it gave me back ONE HP every turn

Anyway he eventually went down. Now im ready for the ronka ruins and the almighty Archeoavis i'm looking forward to fighting him

Update: Yay i beat him he was tough, took me a second try to beat him. But i lose galuf now and he is still on his base level at level 1. He will fight gilgamesh one on one shortly so i couldn't save after beating archeoavis. I need to take galuf back to the earliest stage in the game and start leveling him up
    Last edited by Shin Gouken; 03-06-2006 at 02:56 PM.

OK i levelled Galuf to level 20 which should be more than enough for taking on Gilgamesh. Archeoavis gave me more trouble the second time (i forgot to unequip my coral ring so his lightening attack took half my HP every time. He also favoured it above everything else, but i went in with Blue magic and prevailed using Blowfish and Whitewind) Then Pyuroboros, Titan and Kimabrain all went down VERY easily. They are only sub bosses imo so no surprise really that they were so easy.

I'm going to stock up on Tonics (yup, still no potions available at this point) and elemental rods. And need to buy an Angel ring because there are some enemies on the other side who like to use Zombie status attacks. Then i'm ready for world 2. Which i will get started on this weekend.

Every enemy, boss or other in world one has been defeated one on one Bring on world 2

I have too say that I'm impressed that you've made it so far. I hope world two is as smooth and easy as you found the first the world.