Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FFV "challenge" thread

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neel Hates Clout's Guts
    Bah, I always forget about Brave Blade and Chicken Knife when I play until its too late. I should be more consistent in fighting battles >_< Wait does Chicken Knife increase as you run or decrease as you fight? It may be in your interest to power up Chicken Knife if its the former.

That's an interesting point. The braveblade stops powering up once you retrieve it right? But the chicken knife still gains power from running even after you've retrieved it right? If thats right then i can power up my chicken knife supremley during the remaining dungeons.

Can anyone clarify this? and also... will the chicken knife ever reach the power of the braveblade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

i know the chicken knife can reach the power of the brave blade, i dunno about the rest
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chicken knife is better than brave blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen Goujun's "Perfect" FF5 Game Guide
    Q: I intend to get a Maximum Game with a Max Brave Blade. What do you think?

A: Taking the Brave Blade is impractical for various obvious reasons.

The Brave Blade starts out very strong, but it will only get weaker and
    weaker. It will never get stronger. The Chicken Knife, on the other hand,
    starts out very weak, but it will only get stronger and stronger, until
    127. It will never get weaker. It's already obvious that the Chicken Knife
    is the more practical Weapon to take here.

Many people have argued that the Brave Blade is more powerful than the
    Chicken Knife, since the Max Power of the Brave Blade is 150, while the
    Max Power of the Chicken Knife is 127. This means that a Max Brave Blade
    will always deal more damage than a Max Chicken Knife.

THESE PEOPLE ARE WRONG!

Let's take a look at Tseng Instructrtrepe's damage formula for both Weapons,
    assuming that they are both Maxed out. Also, let's assume that you are at
    Level 99, with all Jobs Maxed out. That leaves you with Monk's Strength
    and Thief's Agility, 50 and 40 respectively, without taking individual
    Character Stat Bonus and Equipment Bonus.

Brave Blade Formula
    Damage = (150 - Def) X [ ( 99 X 50 / 128 ) + 2 ]
    Damage = (150 - Def) X 40.67

Chicken Knife Formula
    Damage = (127 - Def) X { [ 99 X ( 50 + 40 ) / 128 ] + 2 }
    Damage = (127 - Def) X 71.6

Do the Math yourself. From this formula, it's pretty obvious that the
    only way that the Brave Blade can deal more damage than the Chicken Knife
    is if the enemy's Defense is anywhere near 100.

The reason why Chicken Knife is more powerful, is because the Agility of
    the Character will also affect the damage. Brave Blade does not have that.

And that's without taking into consideration the individual character
    bonus and equipment bonus. The higher the Agility, the more powerful the
    Chicken Knife will be. Being a Knife, Chicken Knife will also halve the
    enemy evade. Use !Midareuchi Command, to reduce Def to 0, and see the
    even greater difference. A great disadvantage is the Chicken Knife's
    Escape activation. That is the only disadvantage, compared to all the
    advantages the Chicken Knife have. (Unless you consider the Selling Price.)
    Oh, and Brave Blade is a better weapon for Goblin Punch.

Test this out for yourself. My Chicken Knife is a lot more powerful than
    the Ragnarok, which is only slightly behind the Brave Blade.
    Skull eaters in Jacole cave drop elixirs, as do the land worm looking monsters in the desert where Phoenix Tower and the North Mountain are in world 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    Chicken knife is better than brave blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen Goujun's "Perfect" FF5 Game Guide
    Q: I intend to get a Maximum Game with a Max Brave Blade. What do you think?

A: Taking the Brave Blade is impractical for various obvious reasons.

The Brave Blade starts out very strong, but it will only get weaker and
    weaker. It will never get stronger. The Chicken Knife, on the other hand,
    starts out very weak, but it will only get stronger and stronger, until
    127. It will never get weaker. It's already obvious that the Chicken Knife
    is the more practical Weapon to take here.

Many people have argued that the Brave Blade is more powerful than the
    Chicken Knife, since the Max Power of the Brave Blade is 150, while the
    Max Power of the Chicken Knife is 127. This means that a Max Brave Blade
    will always deal more damage than a Max Chicken Knife.

THESE PEOPLE ARE WRONG!

Let's take a look at Tseng Instructrtrepe's damage formula for both Weapons,
    assuming that they are both Maxed out. Also, let's assume that you are at
    Level 99, with all Jobs Maxed out. That leaves you with Monk's Strength
    and Thief's Agility, 50 and 40 respectively, without taking individual
    Character Stat Bonus and Equipment Bonus.

Brave Blade Formula
    Damage = (150 - Def) X [ ( 99 X 50 / 128 ) + 2 ]
    Damage = (150 - Def) X 40.67

Chicken Knife Formula
    Damage = (127 - Def) X { [ 99 X ( 50 + 40 ) / 128 ] + 2 }
    Damage = (127 - Def) X 71.6

Do the Math yourself. From this formula, it's pretty obvious that the
    only way that the Brave Blade can deal more damage than the Chicken Knife
    is if the enemy's Defense is anywhere near 100.

The reason why Chicken Knife is more powerful, is because the Agility of
    the Character will also affect the damage. Brave Blade does not have that.

And that's without taking into consideration the individual character
    bonus and equipment bonus. The higher the Agility, the more powerful the
    Chicken Knife will be. Being a Knife, Chicken Knife will also halve the
    enemy evade. Use !Midareuchi Command, to reduce Def to 0, and see the
    even greater difference. A great disadvantage is the Chicken Knife's
    Escape activation. That is the only disadvantage, compared to all the
    advantages the Chicken Knife have. (Unless you consider the Selling Price.)
    Oh, and Brave Blade is a better weapon for Goblin Punch.

Test this out for yourself. My Chicken Knife is a lot more powerful than
    the Ragnarok, which is only slightly behind the Brave Blade.
    Skull eaters in Jacole cave drop elixirs, as do the land worm looking monsters in the desert where Phoenix Tower and the North Mountain are in world 3.

Wow i had no idea the full potential of the chicken knife!!! However i can't cast sword magic on the chicken knife and the only battle i would need it is in the battle with Omega where i need to cast Bolt3 on it. drat

But that's really helpful about the elixers. I can make alot of use out of that.... i may be able to take full advantage of the magic pots in pheonix tower. From there it will be stealing from crystal dragons... that's a garanteed elixer every battle, then i can fleeeeeee mwahaha
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

mime would help you better with the pots. Then you only need five elixirs with a full party of mimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    mime would help you better with the pots. Then you only need five elixirs with a full party of mimes.

I can't believe i didn't know that jeeze all them wasted elixers in previous games LOL well least i know now thank you

This will finally be receiving some updates soon So you know i sold my PS2 and havn't been able to play it.... well i pinched my brothers PS2 so i'll be able to play till my hearts content. However my copy of FFV is in liverpool atm (me being in cambridge makes it kinda hard to play it)
    Im heading to liverpool for a week this coming friday so expect alot of updates in that week. Im actually hoping to finish it before i come back to cambridge wish me luck

Finally an update

Odin took a single shoat summon to kill, and nergade triton and phobos took a single odin summon to kill. That went very smoothly.

Leviathan.... was touch and go. I had a lot of luck in this battle. He seemed to rely on physical attacks most which still inflicted reasonable damage under the effects of protes, and which he would use twice in a row. My crystal shiel saved me a few times as did some perfectly timed tidal waves that healed me. However i did kill him in my first try. I had a sorcerer cast Bolt 3 on a sword because MP was low and i have no means of replenishing it. What MP i had i kept for protes and healing spells. I inflicted a very nice 4000+HP which each attack which i kept consistant so he died fairly quickly.

Now im debating whether or not to enter pheonix tower. I won't ever use pheonix so it'd just be the AP i go in for. But i don't really have the patience to find any elixers so i might just head for the cleft of dimension and start on all the fun they hide in there

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

you find 2 or 3 elixirs in the CoD if your lucky. and if you manage to get to the final floors you'll be going in normal battles against enemies that give you anywhere between 30 and 200 ABP and theyll also give you tens of thousands of gil which will buy you a lot of elixirs if you want to bribe some magic pots. but compared to the kind of ABP youll be getting in the CoD final floors i think youll want to give the pheonix tower a miss because its quite obvious that pheonix will not be needed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Time for a BIG update!

Firstly, i was going to NEED Sshot before entering the cleft of dimension. So i learned the first few hunter levels in the basement of val castle. The i went to jacole cave and fought skull eaters in search of elixers. I gained alot of AB from them too and managed to find four elixers. Then i headed to pheonix tower and ascended high enough to bribe two magic pots (using three elixers) Even with the flee command i couldnt run from the enemies so i wasn't prepared to fight my way to the top. I headed back to val and finished mastering hunter (my only mastered job class) I also gained two levels which puts me on level 47.

Cleft of dimension:

I ran from all the battles in the ruins and forest parts and looted the place for goodies.

Woodsprite was not difficult. I used a Bare class (which is all im using against bosses now) I held masamune for first strike... but as soon as i was given control i switched for excalibur then used Sshot.

In the omega cave i fought battles. I used Leviathan to one-hit-kill the sybaratics, occulas's and grimalkins. Great dragons took either two extra physical attacks or another Leviathan summon. I did this purely to learn 2-handed which for some insane reason i havn't learned yet.

The Apprehendr would have been a lot more difficult but the right weapons and armour equipped made him easily defeated. I wore a ribbon to reduce the number of status attacks that would affect me. And (though i didn't know this before the battle) i wore Bonemail which turned his Drain attack (which he spammed) into a healing spell for me and a damaging spell to him. Windslash and physical attacks were easily healed. I just switched excalibur for the bloodsword whenever i needed to heal. Dischord and protes slowed the battle down but with Sshot it was still over fairly quickly.

Azulmagia wasn't difficult however he did kill me. After i inflicted the first 10,000HP his ???? inflicted 9999HP which instant killed me. This sent me back to my last save point forcing me to beat the apprendr again.
    Initially i wore a Wall ring in this battle. When i rechallenged him i wore Winged shoes so i could inflict the damage faster, hopefully killing him before he could use ????. It worked and i did basically the same as i did for the apprendr. Sshot with 2-handed switching for the bloodswords if i needed to heal.

Catastroph was never going to be a problem. Casting Float before the battle and wearing a Wall ring kept me safe while i unleashed an onslaught of Sshot on him.

Then i charged straight for Halcyanos. I took a different approach with him. I chose a White mage in hope of being able to Beserk him then casting Blink on myself to avoid the physical attacks he was stuck using. However i couldnt Beserk him. With the Sage staff i was inflicting almost 4500HP (under the effects of shell :/ ) so i pressed on. Victory looked certain until he hit me with Holy which hit me for 6000HP.
    I returned and pelted him with Sshot while weilding Excalibur and he died before he could use another Holy spell.

I was looking forward to Twin tania but the fatty disapointed. I did the usual... Held masamune for initiative, switched for Excalibur (in two hands) and used Sshot which inflicted massive damage. He only lasted a few turns.

I then headed back to Sshot alta roit and jura avis. They took 3 Sshots each and only two of them managed an attack (a windslash and a mealstrom)

Gilgamesh took two Sshots before he fled and i headed for Necrophobe.

I was seriously seriously worried about this. I wouldn't hardly survive one Flare or Holy so i especially wasn't going to survive four in a row from his barriers. I equipped a time mage with Summon5 and cast Quick followed by two bahamuts. Then i could attack again while he batted on about him being invincible with his barriers. Another Bahamut cleared his barriers. I threw Fire rods at him to finish him which all hit for 6000HP each. Gilgamesh showed and finished him.

There was a lack of challenge there. Halcyanos and Azulmagia both killed me but it was a simple case of "ok i know that now, won't fall for it again" and i beat them the second time. I know X-death will take me several tries as i remember a certain ammount of luck involved in my last one-on-one with him. Omega will require levelling, and shinryu shouldn't be a problem.

Now i have to master a few jobs/learn some abilities. I'm going to need sorcerer4, time6, white6 (i think) and a mastered ninja. Then it's time for the Final bosses in my challenge

That was intense. Ive been fighting shinryu all day and losing quite badly. Ive tried strategy after strategy and though some seemed hopeful, they didn't cut it against the god of dragon.... until the last one that is. Funny thing though coz i tried this strategy first and it failed.

I said i'd beaten him before today with just a single player but this was different. He just seemed impossible this time round and i can't even work out how i pulled it off the last time.

Anyway i'll tell you how i beat him the first time, then some strategies i tried (which were brilliant) and then i'll tell you how i beat him.

The first time i beat him (which was a few days before i began this challenge many moons ago) I don't remember exactly what i had equipped or how i was set up however i do remember roughly the strategy. I entered battle with masamune and strato and used Sshot for the initial strike. After tidal wave i used Sshot again. After being hit it was a simple case of changing my weapons for two bloodswords so i could keep up the onslaught of attacks without stopping to heal. I was level 51 and i beat him after a longish battle.

This time im level 49 and shinryus speed is just crazy compared to how it was in the last battle.

After a couple of test runs i decided the battle couldn't be won without two things... Haste and Blink. A physical attack is enough to kill me depending whether im standing in the front row or not and shinny was letting out those physicals like there was no tomorrow (twice in a row not uncommen.)

However having time magic and white magic as abilities just to keep me alive left no room for attacking. (him absorbing Holy and Meteo having next to no effect on most occasions) So i looked at the only job ability which could provide both forms of support magic. MIX! Thank you to Game faqs for the mix chart.

With mix i could mix two items together for haste as well as creating attacks like dragon armour and dragon power to raise my defence and levels. I got a kick in the teeth though when i tried to find the items i needed to make these attacks. I had plenty of dragon fangs and dark matters.... what i needed was turtle shells and i looked everywhere for them in world three. I gave up looking for them but i stuck with using the idea of MIX.
    I had one turtle shell which was enough to cast haste, then cast resist bolt (which let me absorb his thunder attack, also his atom ray is nulled by my coral ring) I stayed safely in the back row and cast giant drink, dragon armour and dragon power. This was aided by Quick time magic so i could fire out all this protection as fast as i could. But his physicals were too much (i actually lost by level 3 flare on one attempt from casting dragon power :/)
    I put MIX with Sshot and bloodswords for faster damage and easy healing but that failed too.
    Then i used a Mime with MIX, white6 and Time6. Cast quick then haste, then Blink, shell, protes, giant drink, resist bolt, dragon armour and dragon power. Which was made very easy because shinryu failed with evil eye, mealstrom and roullette while i set this up. Re-cast Blink and i looked all set until i realized i couldn't hurt the bastard. Dark flare hit for just under 3000 but i could only cast it twice. Then it was a simple case of me not having the item command and no items that can be mixed to make MP restorative items. No MP lead to death.

There were a couple of crazy attempts where i thought winged shoes would be more beneficial than coral rings (and me using Jump to avoid his tidal wave) but that attempt was over quicker than any other.

SO here it is. The spur of the moment strat which has served me in the past and never fails (exept that first time i tried it)

Bare handed fighter with Sshot and time magic. Entered battle with masamune and rune axe so i had priority over tidal wave. I cast quick then haste then fired away with my first Sshot. Masamune hit for 1000HP and 2200-2500HP with a critical. Rune axe varied but never went below 1000HP and ventured as high as 3000HP. Tidal wave healed as it does when one is equipped with a coral ring. I then cast Quick and hit away with two more Sshots. Shinny tried a level 3 flare and mealstrom and i cast quick and two final Sshots to finish him.

I guess hitting hard and fast works better than a well thought out strategy

Just so you know where i am at and how things are looking....

In the cleft of dimension i mastered a thief (no idea why :s) i mastered a ninja (for the auto 2-swords on a bare class fighter) learned time6, white6, sword6, jump lance, mix and maybe one or two others that i cant remember. I fought a few Movers (though mostly i was unable to kill them before they delta'd me to stone) Movers left enough money to buy three elixers so i ventured out and bought 10 with some cash to spare. Im not sure i'll need them after all but it doesn't hurt to have them. Ive been killing enemies in the X-zone by abusing the summon command and magic lamp (behemoths and maximus's are easily vebgesworded though there have been incidants where the behemoths counter javelin with meteo and kill me. necromancers are weak to leviathan and bahamut kills the crystelles and mind flares)

Omega is next and im much less worried about him then i have been. Of course the only way to beat him with a single character is to one-hit-K.O him as there is no way a single target can survive all his counters. This may require me to level up... or use dragon power. If i level up i will be disatisfied as i'd like to finish the challenge on below level 50... and if i use dragon power then i can't use either Sword! or Sshot as a bare cant have three abilities and a mime can't equip swords so Eqsword would need it's third ability slot. Anyway i think ragnarok and braveblade with bolt3 cast on them and Sshot will be enough. If the worst should happen tho i will gladly take suggestions :s

Omega

I went to get my braveblade and the attack power was pathetic... guess i'm a coward.

So i attacked omega wielding excalibur and ragnarok. I wore a reflect ring coz the first time i tried i was hit by atom ray and the second i was hit by delta. Then i held masamune for initiative and switched back to excalibur as soon as the battle started. Bolt on two swords and Sshot of course. But i could only hit for 46-47000HP. I tried a few times coz the damage varied but i couldn't hit for above 47000HP.

I went back for the chicken knife cause it was my last hope. I needed to cast sword magic on it which i didn't think you could. well... it turns out you can

Same strat as before but this time... check out the damage

My chicken knife was hitting for a perfect 9652HP every hit. That's a combined total of 62,248HP after all 8 shots.

I'm feeling pretty ecstatic right now

Just X-death to go

I used the same strategy against X-death as i did in my previous one-on-one battle

Bare class fighter

Sage staff
    Diamond shield (no genji shield)

Ribbon
    Angel robe
    Winged shoes

Redx2 (X-magic)
    White6

I mastered a monk before because my Bare class HP increased by 1000. Before i mastered Monk my Bare had 2500HP and after i mastered it it increased to 3500HP.

Whiteball failed when X-death tried. A holy and physical attack were the only other attacks he used. I had initiative from winged shoes and used two holy spells immediatley. I got in another two before he could attack. Then i kept firing out Holy spells until he died and neo X-death came out to play.

This battle seemed to go rather well. He used Grandcross three times throughout the course of the battle and i didn't receive a single status problem. I used redx2 to cast shell and blink which meant i could survive two flares/holys and three physicals. He cast dispel numerous times but a redx2 quickly put back up my defence. All i did really was either cast two holy spells, a holy and cure3 if i needed to heal, shell and blink if hit by dispel, and an elixer to restore MP which i used three of throughout the battle. I concentrated Holys on segment one till that died then segment 2 till that died. Then cast one holy on each of the remainding segments so that one died just before the other which i killed immediatley after. I'd pretty much sussed this battle already so i knew it wouldn't be too difficult. I beat him on my first try.

So there it is. FFV can be beaten with the use of just one character (or two if you include glaufs one-on-one with gilgamesh and kriles one on one with minotauras) Not only that, but my final level was 49! That is so much better then i thought. I was expecting to finish on level 70 or over.

Ive had a pretty [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ty night and an even worse day today so i don't much feel like celebrating. But i hope people enjoyed following my challenge and maybe inspire them to do one too.

Thank you to everyone who offered help when i needed it. Maybe i'll try another challenge in the future... or maybe the same challenge on a different final fantasy who knows.