Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punk Rock...

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: If Billy Talent is classified as Punk Rock, then I like it.

Rubedo: I heard that the Misfits were really nice guys (courtest of Foley is Good: and the real world is faker than professional wrestling book), but I heard their music, and I really hated it.

i like punk. i only lnow a couple of bands, tho. among them are the ramones (i hate how they got SO comercialized with teeny-bopers wearing their shirts and other stuff), the sex pistols, the clash, fall silent and lately i came to know dos minutos (from argentina, i really recomend them).

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I'll definitly check out Dos Minutos, thanks for the recommendation. I love internation punk rock, I have a lot from Japan and Korea at the moment.

Punk is deader than Sid Vicious, it died the moment punk was reffered to as punk, punk was good in the seventies, but its just become another fashion, with any band that uses guitars now being called punk, who even gives a smurf?
    Even John Lydon(nice guy), punks biggest idol, admits the whole thing was a joke.
    I mean look at green day, I know I'm going to get run down by a group of fanboys now, but they are so unpunk its a joke, there so average and duuurr.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I really wish you would have bothered to read what I wrote.

Is punk big in the mainstream? Hell no. Bands like Green Day, Simple Plan, Good Charolette, etc, arent at all punk. They're called punk to appeal to the demographic of kids who didnt like the pop that was going on.

However, the punk scene is still alive and well in so many places. Bands like The Adicts still play their hearts out, and there are even great newer bands like The Scarred and Narcoleptic Youth. Clit 45, Naked Aggression, Subhumans, they all come around still. Just because there arent a bunch of punks wandering the streets in droves like they did in the early 80's doesnt mean it's dead.

John Lydon can say what he wants, but plenty of other huge punk idols are alive, well, and touring, so it's still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    The Scarred and Narcoleptic Youth. Clit 45, Naked Aggression, Subhumans, they all come around still. Just because there arent a bunch of punks wandering the streets in droves like they did in the early 80's doesnt mean it's dead.
    Yeah, but with band names like that its hard to take them seriously

John Lydon can say what he wants, but plenty of other huge punk idols are alive, well, and touring, so it's still alive.
    John Lydon is alive, and well.

I do like old punk music, but I still think punks dead, people should stop makeing music thats already been made, and do something original.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Since when has punk had an over-flow of serious-sounding band names? And I find it very shallow to judge a band's worth on their name as oppose to, oh, I dunno, their music?

I never said John Lydon was dead, did I?

I'd rather people make all sorts of music and do it well, rather than focusing on trying to make something new. There are plenty of bands making all sorts of music, original and from set genres, as it should be.

Since when has punk had an over-flow of serious-sounding band names? And I find it very shallow to judge a band's worth on their name as oppose to, oh, I dunno, their music?
    When you see a band called clit 45, you hardly think there going to be good do you, it dosen't really show you much imagination, there just out to shock people, which there failing to do because with a name like that there hardly going to reach anything outside an underground audience.
    Anyway I agree punk bands do sometimes have good and funny names, like the sex pistols, or the sperm bandits, however, 'clit 45' or 'naked aggression' is neither of these.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Again, you're judging a band on the name. That's just utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what they stand for or what they mean. You've never heard their music, read their lyrics, or done anything of the sort. You're making a ridiculous assumption based on a name, which to me shows that I'm wasting my time by even bothering with you, which is just a shame.

I dont see why you're even using the Sex Pistols as an example because, while they inspired a lot of wonderful bands, they're all about shock. While a band like Naked Aggression, who you've judged based on their name and not on the many things they stand for, are denounced despite being a very talented band with excellent lyrics, a long history in the scene, and a habit of fighting for many causes and doing plenty of benefits.

But whatever. Think what you will. I do hope one day you start actually judging music based on music, and not on band names or what someone else says. Have a nice day.

In my humble opinion, punk is all rubbish. If you're counting MCR as punk band then I like some of their stuff (namely the first half of Three cheers - that album kind of goes downhill after 'Thank You for the Venom'), and Green day have a couple of good songs (though the ones of theirs I like are the non-punk ones). Other than that I think all punk sucks.
    "Not having a guitar is like not having a girlfriend - only worse" - Wiggy
    "There are only two ways to live your life: the first is as if nothing is a miracle, the second as if everything is" - Albert Einstein

Again, you're judging a band on the name. That's just utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what they stand for or what they mean. You've never heard their music, read their lyrics, or done anything of the sort. You're making a ridiculous assumption based on a name, which to me shows that I'm wasting my time by even bothering with you, which is just a shame.
    I'm only human.

I have one of these now. Epiphany's Avatar

-Shakes head- It saddens me when people judge the whole by a few. Ah well.

Bands like the Buzzcocks, Adam and the Ants, The Chords, The Damned, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Generation X, Joy Division, Radiators from Space, The Rezillos, The Skids, The Casualties, and Stiff Little Fingers are orgasmic.

Originality is good, kids.

Punk is deader than Sid Vicious, it died the moment punk was reffered to as punk, punk was good in the seventies, but its just become another fashion, with any band that uses guitars now being called punk, who even gives a smurf?
    You, sir, do not know what you are talking about.

Yeah, but with band names like that its hard to take them seriously
    Kinda like the Sex Pistols, you mean?

Oh, and John Lydon is a sell out. I hate to admit it, but he is.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Oh, and John Lydon is a sell out. I hate to admit it, but he is.
    thats what makes him so punk rock, he just does whatever the smurf he wants.

Horrible genre, most every punk band sucks major amounts of ass. The Clash, Flogging Molly, and a few Grindcore bands are great though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.