Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punk Rock...

Not the biggest fan of punk, being a heavy classic/prog rock fan. But I do enjoy stuff like the Ramones, the Clash, and the Sex Pistols.
    lol signature

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by marc
    thats what makes him so punk rock, he just does whatever the smurf he wants.
    My biggest problem with the punk scene is statements like this. It's hard to tell what is punk and what isn't, because one person calls something a sellout and someone will counter with something like this. It seems to be a culture of bizarro logic where everyone else's opinion is wrong.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    My biggest problem with the punk scene is statements like this. It's hard to tell what is punk and what isn't, because one person calls something a sellout and someone will counter with something like this. It seems to be a culture of bizarro logic where everyone else's opinion is wrong.
    Exactly. Plus, the music doesn't really appeal to me, just not really my cup of tea. And it's not even that I dislike the new stuff, because I dislike old punk, like The Ramones, too. Just not my thing, though the handful of talented punk artists are pretty cool.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Well it isnt so much the punk scene that perpetuates this. It's the record companies labeling things as 'punk' to sell them. The punk scene, in general, doesnt really care too much about it, just a bit of annoyance when the Avril Lavinge girls stroll into the shows, but really no one cares.

The best way to tell what's punk and what isnt is simply to compare musical sound. Simple Plan, for instance, is very poppy. The lyrics lack any real statements aside from your average pop song, so calling it punk is very off. It doesnt sound right, nor does it carry a particular statement. The only reason those bands are called punk is, again, the record labels and the clothes/hairstyles.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

my favourite punk bands of right now would definately be split lip and munga

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Abominatrix got it spot on. But i do also think that the definition of punk has changed since the sex pistols and continues to change. I wouldn't call the sex pistols punk rock by todays standards. Back then you wouldn't call Blink 182 punk rock. It has kept some of the same values but the attitude changes quite a lot. Rebelling against authority, standing up for what you believe in, just doing whatever the hell you want, complaing at being an adolescant and being broken by love etc are all things punk rock have covered
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

I should probably clarify. The reason that I say Lydon is a sellout is because it seems as if he does everything he can to "be punk" while at the same time making an effort to degrade everyone else. His concept that "If you have a mohawk you're a poser because other people have mohawks" is absolutely ridiculous. Read his book "Rotten: No blacks no irish, no dogs". It's a great book, but after reading it I decided he was a poser. That and after he did a reunion tour, charged 50 bucks for tickets (and the merchandise was equally expensive, and of extremely low quality) and put on the worst show I have ever seen in my smurfing life. He didn't even know the lyrics to his own songs. He read them out of a book. Then, at the end of the show, he gets all buddy buddy with Glenn and says "Glenn is my friend. What kind of media have you been listening to?" Of course, in his own smurfing book he talks about how Glenn is not his friend and the whole story about him hating glenn is absolutely true.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I should probably clarify. The reason that I say Lydon is a sellout is because it seems as if he does everything he can to "be punk" while at the same time making an effort to degrade everyone else. His concept that "If you have a mohawk you're a poser because other people have mohawks" is absolutely ridiculous. Read his book "Rotten: No blacks no irish, no dogs". It's a great book, but after reading it I decided he was a poser. That and after he did a reunion tour, charged 50 bucks for tickets (and the merchandise was equally expensive, and of extremely low quality) and put on the worst show I have ever seen in my smurfing life. He didn't even know the lyrics to his own songs. He read them out of a book. Then, at the end of the show, he gets all buddy buddy with Glenn and says "Glenn is my friend. What kind of media have you been listening to?" Of course, in his own smurfing book he talks about how Glenn is not his friend and the whole story about him hating glenn is absolutely true.
    Never read his book myself, but I definitly agree with you here. I cant stand that 'if you do anything anyone else has done before, you're a poser' reasoning behind things. I do agree that being unique and original is very cool, but it's also okay to do things just because you enjoy them, and who cares if anyone else does them too?

has anyone seen Flip-Sorry, John Lydon presents that, v. funny

Blog Entries

Flip really sorry was better for the fact PJ ladd was in it imo but uh yeah back on topic. I don't listen to what most of you would call "punk" but I do . I like older Blink older Green Day, and I LOVE AFI. I appreciate the older punk bands and the newer ones they just arn't what I'm into. Gimme some good ol Blink anyday

OH OH OH!!!
    i like Avenge Sevenfold's Bat country

asdfghjkl;'

i'm really into punk. my fave punk bands are good charlotte, blink 182 and simple plan

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

im nopt a big fan of new punk, it's too whinny and with too few pollitical messages, that is were the sex pistols excel

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Pink Shark
    im nopt a big fan of new punk, it's too whinny and with too few pollitical messages, that is were the sex pistols excel
    Mainstream 'punk' doesnt have political messages because they're too busy going on about how different they are and about love and whatnot.

If you want political, you gotta go underground. Narcoleptic Youth has some, Anti-Flag, Naked Aggression, Agent Orange, Aus Rotten, Civil Disobedience, Conflict, Defiance, Subhumans, UK Subs, The Unseen, or Oi Polloi. There are a lot of very political bands, but not all of them are.

most of those you have chosen i wouldn't class as punk but my favourite is the ramones