Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MMOs in general, and FF11 in particular - do subscriptions get on anyones nerves?

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Oh yeah, that makes sense, because we all know FFXI the game itself is FREE! No one had to buy it plus the two and soon to be three expansions for $30 to $50 each on top of their monthly fee and internet connection and $100+ for all the extra PS2 crap if you're playing on PS2 to play it!
    PSO Online is pretty cheap 5 bucks a month heck even xbox live is cheap its only 5 bucks a montha nd if yu pay yearly its 40 bucks.. Anyway I wouldn't mind paying a MMO subscription fee if its like Lineage 2 were the software is free, but when I'm paying 50 bucks for the software. It seems like a money scheme and that little of the subscription fees are being reinvested into the game. I see this with like most MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Heart Lion
    Guild Wars the way its designed is not an MMORPG, its more a glorified Diablo II kinda thing from what i see.
    Well last itme I check they have an RPG mode and the missions and maps and stuff is designed like PSO to go through its sotryline, but oyu have freedom of mobility and oyu can make cash by trading items and such . It depends on how you're playing the game. If your going to be doing Pvp then PVP if oyu want an RP characte rthen RP character . It is somewhat of a MMORPG because if you choose RP your roleplaying but if your char is a PVP then its competiting . IT has a lot of elements of Lineage 2 I've noticed and also a few of WoW and a little of FF11. I mean I just threw Guild WArs out their because you say it isn't which sitll doesn't tell me why I have to pay over a hundred bucks yearly for all the other MMORPGs.

Lordblazer, you're an idiot. -_-; You miss the whole point completely. Most MMORPG's that are FFXI, WoW and Everquest, do require monthly fees for certain reasons. Comparing a game like Guild Wars, where it's mainly small lobbies where you can gather only a few people to go out on the field, to a game like FFXI where there can be a lot more than 100+ people in the zone -- well it just defies logic.

The way guild wars' servers are set and made, are a lot different than the standard MMORPG's I've listed above. Whether you want to believe it or not, I find more value in a game like FFXI by paying the monthly fees, than a game like Guild Wars which got really boring, really fast, for me. Part of an MMORPG isn't just the story.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle
    Lordblazer, you're an idiot. -_-; You miss the whole point completely. Most MMORPG's that are FFXI, WoW and Everquest, do require monthly fees for certain reasons. Comparing a game like Guild Wars, where it's mainly small lobbies where you can gather only a few people to go out on the field, to a game like FFXI where there can be a lot more than 100+ people in the zone -- well it just defies logic.

The way guild wars' servers are set and made, are a lot different than the standard MMORPG's I've listed above. Whether you want to believe it or not, I find more value in a game like FFXI by paying the monthly fees, than a game like Guild Wars which got really boring, really fast, for me. Part of an MMORPG isn't just the story.
    Yeah and thats were it all leads to uh> Me being an idiot. I'm anidiot? I'm an idiot for having objections towards a highly inflated subscription fee. I just laid out a few prices in general. Anyway I'm not a dumbass an dI know that a subscription fee is used for the servers. But that still doesn't mean I can't compain abou the price hell I'm not even playing the game anymore cuz I wasn't getting my money's worth..Which by definition means I wasn't playing it enough out of amonth. SO I just canceled it my friend. I mean you can compare this to when I had to cancel my xbox live subsription due to my xbox sparking out on me.

Anway omecle I know what kind of person you are. Which kinda contributes to the BS of forums ovver the net.. I'm leaving it at that and just going to ignore ya.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Palindroma
    My laptop is pretty mediocre and I can play FFXI on it just fine. And I don't know anyone who has had to pay tons of money for hardware upgrades. The most anyone usually has to do is upgrade their video card, and that itself is usually a good investment.

So, uh, yeah. Spending tons of money in order to play FFXI seems like a gross exaggeration considering that most people can play the game just fine without need to change a thing on their computer.

As for the people who play it on PS2, well that's their choice, and obviously they have the money to burn if they choose to get all that extra stuff in order to play it on the PS2.
    My point wasn't that "FFXI costs tons of money to play". My point was "The costs are there, don't pretend like they aren't by speaking like it costs more to buy a game I'll have and be able to play forever without ever paying again like FFX when it's obvious that's a croc" in response to that bogus comparison that completely ignored the cost of the game itself and compared it to the cost of another game at the same time someone posted earlier.

I mean I understand the monthly fee and it's purpose, but I still just hate the idea because like I said, it bugs me by making me feel as if I'm throwing money away, which was my answer to the thread's initial question. The rests of my posts were just for the sake of pointing out the untrue.

And yes, it would costs me a ton of money to upgrade my hardware. More than 100 dollars for a video card (or any computer thing other than the computer itself for that matter), is a ton of cash to me. But I'm poor and always have been, so I guess it's a factor in my bitterness.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I don't like monthly fees, but there are good freeware MMOs out there. Rune scape is pretty good so far, if you don't care about grafics. That would be my suggestion if you really want an MMO without fees (they have extra content if you join.

The reason I don't like fees is that it creates an OBLIGATION in some ways. You pay $20 a month, and therefore to get that money back you MUST play many hours per month just to get your money back. so $20 would be slightly under an hour a day, but if you're only free (say because you're a working college student with homework) for a few hours at night, you may not want to spend one of those hours playing an MMO when you could be out on dates or playing soccer or whatever else. FFX and other offline games don't do that. I already own the disk and I can play it as much or as little as I want. I can leave the game unplayed for six months and not worry about paying so my save isn't deleted etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lordblazer
    Anway omecle I know what kind of person you are. Which kinda contributes to the BS of forums ovver the net.. I'm leaving it at that and just going to ignore ya.
    Man you need to grow up. You have no idea what kind of person I am, and it's ludicrous to even think you do.

Anyways, just because you don't think you got your moneys worth, doesn't mean the price per month is "inflated" as you call it.

Edit: Hell, even DMKA and Gnostic Yevon have made a better arguement, and I find there's to be much more acceptable. Or maybe I'm just not seeing your point due to all the horse crap you put between your lines.

Edit: Me personally? I seriously don't mind paying the 13 dollars a month for it, I've gotten a lot out of this game and it really doesn't consume my real life. I have a girlfriend that I see a lot, I have university, and I still manage to see a few real life friends from high school. I just don't think that 13 dollars is that much money, as it has created hours upon hours of entertainment for me, for over 2 years.
    Last edited by Rostum; 02-18-2006 at 09:55 PM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Man you need to grow up. You have no idea what kind of person I am, and it's ludicrous to even think you do.

Anyways, just because you don't think you got your moneys worth, doesn't mean the price per month is "inflated" as you call it.

Edit: Hell, even DMKA and Gnostic Yevon have made a better arguement, and I find there's to be much more acceptable. Or maybe I'm just not seeing your point due to all the horse crap you put between your lines.

Edit: Me personally? I seriously don't mind paying the 13 dollars a month for it, I've gotten a lot out of this game and it really doesn't consume my real life. I have a girlfriend that I see a lot, I have university, and I still manage to see a few real life friends from high school. I just don't think that 13 dollars is that much money, as it has created hours upon hours of entertainment for me, for over 2 years.
    ME I'vde already told oyu like 6 months ago why I left FF11 and why I have a problem with the monthly fee. I wasn't getting my money's worth. I left because crap happened and I couldn't give this game my attention and the game felt like I was paying them so I can do some work. WEll yeah it did feel like assembly line work. Boring and repetitive. Heck I spend 2 hours just waiting.

But my problemw ith you isn't your objection to my opinion. Its the isults you put in them. They're not even needed to get your point across man. HEll. You called me umb. I know I'm not dumb. Or I wouldn't even be on here typing. You mention the tohers but then again you odn't know me. The fact is. This is a smurfing game. I'm just going to state my opinion on it and leave it at that. I shouldn't have to put up an arguement because none of this [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] is up for debate. Wanna know why?

Beucase in a game you play it. If it isn't fun for oyu then it just isn't If oyu pay monthly for it, and can't even get on once a week. Do you think it'll be woth your time. Point is. Games such as FF11 varies individuall, and thus you can't have much of a debate when one person feels like its repetitive and the other is like "oooorrggg Ig ot money to spend so its fun1!!" I mean you like it then kudos to you dude. You just talk to much [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] when posting oyur objections.

Thats all I'm sayng anyway omecle lets leave it at that.

First of all, I don't care why you left the game, it's irrelevant to what we're talking about.

You're the one who stated that this game has a "highly inflated" monthly fee. You're the one comparing a game like Guild Wars to a full on MMORPG. But now you're flip flopping around that, by just saying that it wasn't interesting so it wasn't worth your time or money.

Well c'mon man, which is it?! I can understand if someone can't play because they don't want to spend the money, or because they have no interest in the game, or any other reason. But to say that the monthly fee is jacked, isn't reasonable. This is my arguement, not that I don't believe you lost interest in the game. -_-;

Quote Originally Posted by Lordblazer
    Games such as FF11 varies individuall, and thus you can't have much of a debate when one person feels like its repetitive and the other is like "oooorrggg Ig ot money to spend so its fun1!!" I mean you like it then kudos to you dude.
    This has nothing to do with what I've been talking about. But anyways, here I go. I never once said that just because someone doesn't like the game, that anything they say against it is unreasonable.

I'd just like to note:

Quote Originally Posted by Lordblazer
    You called me umb. I know I'm not dumb. Or I wouldn't even be on here typing. You mention the tohers but then again you odn't know me.
    I never called you "dumb", and I never said I knew you. If you're so self concious that you have to tell me you aren't dumb, then don't bother replying to my posts.

And please, try to type properly, it takes so long to read through your posts to find out what the hell you're talking about... And the second edit I did on my previous post, was a general thing, not aimed at you. -_-;

runescape is free, with an optional fee to get some perks

You mean Run. Escape? That game is horrible.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Runescape *is* horrible. It's the kind of game that MMORPG-playing geeks look at and say "Man, whoever plays that game is a geek."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'd rather play RO over Runescape ;(
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

So you're having a cry because you can't play this Final Fantasy?
    Um...no. Just no.

Anyway, if you miss your subscription for a month, do you lose your cara or just not be able to play for that month? Because if you lose your cara, then Id say there was NO way it wood be worth it, because of the dispair youd go throogh if that happened. If you just cant play for the rest of the month, thats not so bad thogh.
    Chronicles of the Universe - Sons of Earth volume 1 - Bounty Hunter now at 95 pages! Ill update this sig when it gets published

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin_
    Um...no. Just no.

Anyway, if you miss your subscription for a month, do you lose your cara or just not be able to play for that month? Because if you lose your cara, then Id say there was NO way it wood be worth it, because of the dispair youd go throogh if that happened. If you just cant play for the rest of the month, thats not so bad thogh.
    FFXI keeps your character after you cancel the content I.D. for like...three months I believe. After that it's gone.

It's a fun game, and I do think it's worth the money if you're playing it every day. Or atleast twice a week.
    Last edited by DMKA; 02-21-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    I like Kung-Fu.