Thread: what jobs to master and combos

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Default what jobs to master and combos

hello all, new to the forums, new to FFV!

perhaps this subject has been beat to death, perhaps not.

what jobs are vital, worthy, pointless to master?

from what i've read in a couple FAQs
    vital: summoner, whm, nin, sam, monk, mime
    worthy:trainer, hunter, blue mage, black mage, thf

anyone else have opinions? which jobs should i master? what abilities go best w/ non-inherent jobs? etc etc.

here's what i assume would be potentially good combos:
    whm/sum or blm/sum(both mastered)
    monk/sam/nin/knight of some sort
    thf/bluemage/hunter/trainer of some sort

i actually want to stay away from mime and try to stick to pure job-esque characters...perhaps i'm thinking too much of ffxi :foot: =-/

anyway, some advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Try a Time/White mage combo. It sounds like it would be VERY useful, and plus, Time Magic is my favorite. It's very underrated, but very powerful. Also try Monk/Dragoon.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

they're all worth mastering.

red mage gives you the ability to cast two spells in a row.

dancer is an awesome class that gets over looked for being sissy. but status immunities aren't anything to sneeze at.

Hunters Sshot! + Ninja = 8 attack in a row.

FFXIV Character

well, still being in the early stages of the game (fire ship engine) one combo that seems to be extremely effective is:
    black mage w/ the monk ability barefist.
    it seems to be quit the offensive juggernaut not only being able to cast black magic as a blm, but my fight still does roughy 300~400!!

as for how formidable it will be as an end-game job/ability combo has yet to be seen!!
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 02-17-2006 at 07:42 AM.

master the bare class.end of story.of course,easier said than done.

master the hunter class for melee characters (bartz and faris stat-wise) and the red mage class for the magical characters (galuf/(SPOILER)krile and reena stat-wise).these two classes are extremely useful.
    "I'll tell you one thing... The truly mighty ones don't flaunt their power. How can I describe it to you? The sly eagle hides its claws."
    -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Blue magic is probabley the most useful. Most blue magic spells don't work using your magic stat like other magic. In fact, its more useful on a character with a high HP like a knight or a monk. Whitewind heals HP equal to the current hp of the user, so a character with a high HP can use it more effectively. ???? deals damage equal to how much HP you've lost, so a monk with a high HP who has been owned in a battle can start dealing some massive damage. There are 30 blue magic spells and the majority of them are already available or will very soon be available.

Once you learn barefist any class will attack for 300-400 damage if they are equipped with it. But the damage isn't going to increase as you go through the game. Try to learn 2-handed (knight ability) which doubles your attack power, it's more effective than barefist because more powerful weapons are frequently becoming available which can be deadly in two hands.

Don't neglect to train a sorcerer. It's quick to learn and lets you cast spells on your sword. So you can cast an enemies elemental weakness on a sword heald in two hands or holding a sword in each hand for massive damage.

Hunter has been said but seriously learn sshot. holding two swords means a straight 8 attacks in a row. later in the game when you get the appropriote magic, you can bump that up to 16 attacks consecutively for that character.

Black mages are crap (well not really, they have their uses) Time mages are especially useful later as are white mages, but you won't need them in a lot of battles. Summoning CAN be useful and is fun, but the game can very easily be done without the need for summoning a single time.

Most abilities aren't that great. I never used a geomancer, a dancer, or a chemist. Samurai's are only useful for learning eqkatana. Beserkers dont offer much. red mage is very useful but takes the entire game to learn.

I wouln't master jobs one by one. That way, you end up with a level 6 white mage with no level 6 white magic and so on. But learning 2-handed and then switching to lean sword3 will be very effective and quick. Change your jobs to suit your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Gil Toss is the best move, as long as you have money, and you get that from a samurai. It always hits for 9999, if you have the money of course, and it's worth it.

Otherwise, I actually mastered everything.
    My characters ended up all being bare
    Butz:
    X-fight (Magic sword, 8 attacks)
    Magic sword

Reena
    X-Magic (two hastes on attackers, then two Meteo every turn, by far the best)
    Time

Galuf/Krile
    White
    Dash/X-Magic (I like to run, then for big fights, casting two white spells, really helps)

Faris
    X-Fight
    (Random, typically Passages, so I can see secrets, then depending on the boss, probably white magic for the final boss, just for another healer)

THE JACKEL

Quote Originally Posted by auhin
    Try a Time/White mage combo. It sounds like it would be VERY useful, and plus, Time Magic is my favorite.
    It is useful. The fact that you can heal and haste is a huge plus. My Reina mastered both of these jobs

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

FFXIV Character

well, thanks for all the feedback!

i have a pretty strong idea as to what is important and useful and what isn't.

...of course i could just spend a few dozen hours and master all the jobs. but probably not.

in any case, i must say, i truly, genuinely enjoy the job system. this may be the only FF where i look forward to going out of my way to get into random battles (of course, i still have yet to play III and VI...yes, VI!!! )

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Add fun to battles with contol, capture, steal and enemy skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades
    It is useful. The fact that you can heal and haste is a huge plus. My Reina mastered both of these jobs
    Yay! I was right! And I don't even have FF5! Whoops...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades
    Definitely a great combo. In fact I had at least three characters master or almost master the time mage job. This is one of the only FF's where I very liverally made use of time magic, and it made a lot of the fights much easier. Haste is awesome, and having comet and meteor at your disposal is great as well. Regen never hurts either for that matter. I don't think there was a time after about the half way point when I didn't have at least two people equipped with Time Magic.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by auhin
    Yay! I was right! And I don't even have FF5! Whoops...
    that would explain why you thought monk/lancer would be a good combo!!! :mog: