Thread: patch please

Default patch please

I just started playing FFIII recently and I noticed something that really bugs me....

On the battle screen at the bottom left there's all that commentary junk that says stuff like "slain" or defeated" or "2x hit" or "victory" and its kind of annoying

does anyone know where I can get an FFIII rom patch that gets rid of that text that pops up or an editor that i can use myself to fix it?

thanks

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

They are not going to get rid of it, because it was part of the original game. It can't be "patched", because it is not a glitch, interferes very little, and the purpose was to keep you informed of what your characters do. If you did not have that box, you would not know wether you have an ambush or a First Strike, which could mean the difference between a save file load, and continuing. It really is out of your way, so there is no point in trying to get rid of it. It could get less annoying if you change the text speed setting to 8 instead of 6, when you are loading save files. (bring selector over the file you wish to load, and before pressing "A", press left to decrease the text speed, or right to increase it.

The only way to get rid of it is to hack the Rom, which requires quite a bit of hacking knowledge and coding expertise/experience. But beyond yourself, most people will not be worrying about it, or, more often than most, will prefer it to not having any "commentary", so if you did hack the Rom and "fix" it, it would probably be more of a personal thing.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Why are you annoyed at it? It's an important part of the battle system.

its not horrible, the game isn't going to be unenjoyable if its there, and the importatant stuff like "exp" and "ambushed" are alright, but when a person is poisoned and they get damage, i don't always need "damaged by poison" showing up down there. just seein if anyone knew offhand anyone else who had the same ff3 compulsive disorder with some knowledge with hacking*_*

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Most people are not hackers and OCD at the same time. Hacking requires so much focus. You could try find a hacker who just doesn't care about what he does, or an OCD genius that has a photographic memory. Out side of that I can't help you.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You'd be better off getting used to it. On the NES FFs, that display was an important part of the battle system that allowed you to see where that mysterious 3HP damage every round was coming from. This was before they had animations to show which monster was doing what.

i don't know...it just sorta took away from the blinking monsters/characters taking a blow simultaniously effect when they told you who hit who anyway. I guess your right...back then people weren't always aware of what was going on with the FF's...so I'll deal. too good of a game to let something that little (or even a good thing) get to me.

Oh and I don't think i'm so bad as OCD about it, i think i just made it sound worse than it was.....or maybe i am? My whole life is a lie!!!!! *goes nuts*

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Methinks you are mad.
    em-eh-dee.
    Mad.

I wasn't bothered by this at all. It is important after all

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Hey, silentenigma, I think I may have just the thing for you. Sorry it's a little late!

Enjoy.

Love,
    silentenigma

(SPOILER)There's no pleasure quite like reviving a decade-old thread.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

New thread please, squire.