Thread: FFVIII on PC Problem!

Default FFVIII on PC Problem!

Hi peeps. I need to know if my game is broken or something. The thing is, while playing the game the screen has all these lines goin through it. It's kinda like the picture is being broken up so that it fits right on the screen. It's ok when the decent graphics come up but its only when I'm in normal view and the world map. Any one experiencing the same problem and can help? Or can you just help me anyway? I can't put screen shots up coz my pc recognizes it as copy right. If you need a better description i'll explain it clearer lol!

I think it's just bad coding somewhere. It's happened to me from time to time. There's a couple of places on the world map where I see this, the worst of it being on disc 3 when I'm just south of Tear's Point.

O. My last from start to finish of the game though. Except on the FMVs.

Do you have a GeForce (Nvidia) card? There's a well known bug that causes lines to go across the screen. I think that's what you're talking about.
    don't wake me, I plan on sleeping in

Huh... so what's a GeForce card? Some type of graphics card??
    Poke me.

I think we hav Nvidia but do u know what i can do to sort out the line problem. any help?

GreenTea-Yeah, GeForce is a brand of graphics cards. Nvidia is the company that makes them.

IceAngel-There's a patch to fix the problem. You can get it here. You want "Final Fantasy VIII patch #1 and GeForce fix." That took care of it on one of my GeForce cards.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you might try patch #2, also listed on the Gamespot site. The first patch should take care of your problem, though.

I assume you're running Windows XP. When runing older games, it's always a good idea to put them into compatibility mode. To do this, right click on your FF8 icon, and select properties. Click on the "compatibility" tab. You'll want to run FF8 in the "Windows 98/ME" mode.

I hope this takes care of your problem!

i hope ur right. thanx. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well... my dad won't let me download the patch because we need to subscribe or something and I tried changing the compatability mode but the lines are still there. What can I do?

http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_temp.asp?patch=ff8

You can get it here w/o any subscription crap. You want the "For GeForce Users" one.

Fingers crossed!

Yay!!!!! Thank you sooooo much! It works! That was really annoying to look at but yay its fixed. As soon as i figure out how to close this thread, I will... er.... could you just tell me how to do that? thank you!

I'm having problems too but noone seems to care for my topic so I'll write here. Some of the textures are black.
    I saw there was a same problem with FF 7 and that there was some kind of patch to correct 8-bit Palleted Textures recognition. Is there any way to do the same thing with FF 8 to make it work right.
    My computer is: DFI LP Ultra-D mainboard, Athlon64 3200+, 1GB Ram, GeForce 6600GT and Win XP SP2.

Now that's one problem I haven't had! Sorry to hear it.

But, I can refer you to Qhimm's forum a fantastic resource for the PC FF ports. If anyone can help you, they can.