Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121626 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2005-2006 Season

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

And what do you have to show for it in the way of nice shiny trophies?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

You don't need a trophy to show you can kick ass but it would be a nice addition, premiership trophy for kicking most ass, premiership trophy for being in the premiership, premiership trophy for making this post.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

When we moved from Ayresome Park to the Riverside, the Riverside was supposed to be the catalyst for all that area by the river to be redeveloped. Unfortunately, naff all happened, and it's still just a stadium in a wasteland.

I don't think we have the worst attendance in the league.

8 English players took part in the match for Boro today. (But we lost! There is a moral there somewhere: don't lose.)

Edit: just checked. Our attendance is 12th out of 20. Man City are 4th best!

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Thanks for pointing that out, Bladen.

We used to totally kick ass! The matches such as the 5-0 hammering of Man Utd. The 7-0 (I think?) beating of Sheffield Wednesday when Shearer scored 5. The 9-2 against Liverpool. Good days.

We may have not won a trophy in a long time, but we've played some pretty god damn good football.

Edit: I want to see this attendance. Link please?
    Last edited by Jess; 03-12-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Articles

When the hell did Newcastle ever beat Liverpool 9-2? Was it in the 1920's or something?

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

It's down the bottom. The top bit shows the percentage of the stadium filled.

Articles

I think the top table is in order of percentage, and the bottom in order of maximum capacity.

EDIT: I looked up the 9-2 v Liverpool. I wasn't far out. The 1930's. I don't know how you can say "good days" about that, as none of us were even born. Heck, our parents weren't born either. And I've never claimed pre-war Newcastle were crap.
    Last edited by Psychotic; 03-12-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

THE POINT IS WE WERE STILL GOOD. That is all that counts. And it would be nice to be that good again, so I could witness it! Even though it will never happen. Unless we become extremely rich, or something.

EDIT: Dude, I was alive then. Didn't I ever tell you that I'm 79? :laugh:

EDIT 2: It's nice to see we're in the top 3 in something!

"Average Attendance Rankings
    Team Pld Total Highest Average Capacity Pct
    1 Manchester United (2) 13 881972 67972 67844 68174 99.5%
    2 Newcastle United (12) 14 727123 52327 51937 52218 99.4%
    3 Liverpool (3) 15 664602 44983 44307 45362 97.6%" :laugh:
    Last edited by Jess; 03-12-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Build a Time machine, these days the sport is all about the money with money whoring chairmens pulling the strings of helpless managers to rake in more money for booze and drugs.

Newcastle were a top 5 team till 2 years ago.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bladen
    Build a Time machine, these days the sport is all about the money with money whoring chairmens pulling the strings of helpless managers to rake in more money for booze and drugs.

Newcastle were a top 5 team till 2 years ago.
    Football for me is supporting Newcastle no matter what. However, I wouldn't complain if we came across lots of money too. I'll be happy as pie if we can get back into the top 5 next season.

Funnily enough, I just had the "Newcastle were a top 5 team until 2 years ago" conversation with somebody else. I'll never forgive Souness.

Articles

We were a top 1 team until Souness came along.

Top 6 was the target for Newcastle this year, (I think Shepherd set it) and I don't think it'd be an unreasonable one for next year, considering the likes of Chelski, Liverpool, Man United, Spurs, Arsenal, Bolton, Blackburn, etc.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

We should get together and "send away" Souness, he had a heart attack on the pitch once didn't he? One thing's for sure Sunderland are going nowhere, sacking Mick McCarthy was stupid and the chairman should be shot.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Articles

I dunno. I know Gerard Houllier once did against Leeds. The fact that Sunderland have just 10 points is more than enough justification to sack Mick McCarthy, in my book.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think if we find a good replacement for Shearer, and don't build our whole team up around Owen so that the team don't tumble down when he gets another injury. (Oh come on, he clearly will!) And let's not forget to shoot Boumsoung, Ramage and Bramble and get some decent defence.

I think top 5 will be easy - depending on who our new manager is. I hope Liverpool get second in the table this season, just because of my pure hatred for the red devils.

EDIT: lol sunderland. What a disgrace to the north east of England.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    I think top 5 will be easy - depending on who our new manager is. I hope Liverpool get second in the table this season, just because of my pure hatred for the red devils. .
    You're off my Christmas list.

The match today was one sided. I am totally amazed how we disn't win by a bigger margin. We still need one midfielder, but we are getting there now.

Chelsea have luck on their side. They aren't entertaining anymore. They are scarpping wins by the odd goal & if that luck runs out, last minute wins & dodgy decisions will disappear along with their stranglehold on the premiership. It's theirs this season, but next, I'm not so sure.