Page 1 of 35 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2005-2006 Season

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Grin English Football Thread! 2005-2006 Season

This thread is to discuss upcoming matches and matches that have already happened this season and the likes.

So, 2-0 to Newcastle when playing Everton on Saturday? This made me happy, so happy infact that I celebrated by getting very drunk! I like how much better we have been playing since we got rid of useless Souness. I thought the match was going to be lost as none of our best players were participating in the match (Dyer, Shearer & Owen)! But we pulled through and came out 2 nil up. It was a good match for Solano, I must say!

I was also suprised at Blackburns win over Arsenal but not suprised at Liverpools win over Man city, because of how well they've been doing this season!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I wasn't surprised at Blackburn vs Arsenal. Arsenal simply cannot win away. If you were to look at the Premiership table based on home form, Arsenal would be third. But on away form, they're 14th. And next week they're away to Fulham, who suffer from the same problem (4th and last, yes, they are worse than Sunderland away) and I can only imagine them losing there. And considering that they're in 7th place, level on points with West Ham who have a game in hand, and 1 point behind Wigan, things don't look too good at Highbury.

Although their match after Fulham is against Liverpool. Ordinarily I'd expect Liverpool to win, but Liverpool are beginning to get fatigued. But then again, could Arsenal's Champion's League endeavours fatigue them? We shall see.

I think Liverpool would finish higher than Man Utd, if Man Utd weren't out of Europe and Liverpool hadn't played so many games this season. (We've already played more than Tottenham will have to, I read somewhere)

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I think Solano is regaining the form that made him a saint all those years ago, I think he's the key to bringing entertainment back to the club, Newcastle should resign old players again like Speed but Milner will be excellent next season, Woodgate may not survive at Real Madrid and he was the only decent defender the club has come on we're stuck with the chuckle brothers! I'd love to see Man U get passed by Liverpool in the league.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Eh. Since Souness left Newcastle have had a run of easy games. Sure, they would have done slightly worse with Souness in charge, but they'd still have picked up a fair few points. They just need a decent central defender and a replacement for when Shearer leaves.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    I think Liverpool would finish higher than Man Utd, if Man Utd weren't out of Europe and Liverpool hadn't played so many games this season. (We've already played more than Tottenham will have to, I read somewhere)
    in my opinion, i dont think liverpool are gonna finish higher than united. simply because i think united look the better side at the moment, and after winning the league cup, all they have to worry about is the premiership. on paper, united are better anyway.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

More like good enough to get kicked out the champions league as early as possible lol.
    Anything can happen, maybes Charlton could get to 2nd or Arsenal to 10th, who knows

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Blog Entries

Next season, we're talking Chelsea winning the quadruple if we play our cards right and Arsenal and Man U do as poor as thay have this season

there was a picture here

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge
    in my opinion, i dont think liverpool are gonna finish higher than united. simply because i think united look the better side at the moment, and after winning the league cup, all they have to worry about is the premiership. on paper, united are better anyway.
    The only place where United are stronger than Liverpool on paper is in attack, imho. In goal and defence, both teams look to be very sound, whereas in midfield, Liverpool totally outgun United, although in attack, United totally outgun Liverpool. I'd say on paper, both teams are pretty much equal, and the results prove this: A 0-0 draw, a 1-0 to United, and a 1-0 to Liverpool.

But I already said I think Liverpool won't manage to finish as high as United.

I just hope Man U will do well.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

We'll finish second. I'm pretty confident on that.

Any opinions on where Le Arse will finish? I predict 6th...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    The only place where United are stronger than Liverpool on paper is in attack, imho. In goal and defence, both teams look to be very sound, whereas in midfield, Liverpool totally outgun United, although in attack, United totally outgun Liverpool. I'd say on paper, both teams are pretty much equal, and the results prove this: A 0-0 draw, a 1-0 to United, and a 1-0 to Liverpool.

But I already said I think Liverpool won't manage to finish as high as United.
    must have mis-read, my bad ^^

its true up to a point, liverpool out-do united in midfield, and by a good bit, but i think united win in defence aswell. you said united win in the attack, which is true, but i think united have better defenders, and although you didnt mention this, its there that i think united make the better team.
    i mean, liverpool have outstanding players like finnan and carragher, but united have players like ferdinand(through the crititism and whatever, hes still one of the best in my opinion), heinze(arguably the BEST defender in the world, and certinaly left back), gary neville(doesn't have the natural ability as someone like Terry but is solid all the same, and if united put Vidic(i seen this guy play, he's unreal, but he hasnt gelled in with the team yet) in there, or people like evra, o'shea, silvestre, they would all do the job as they are all decent players. thats just my assumption

Str8 Pimpin'

United will finish 2nd or 3rd. I am not 100% confident we won't mess up & finish 3rd. Liverpool are strong everywhere bar attack. They'll be down our necks every step of the way.

In regard to Arsenal. As much as I hate the man, he is a world class manager who will always have my respect as a manager. Same as Mourinho, Allerdyce, Curbishley, Jewell & Benitz.

Arsenal are still in with a chance of the last CL place, doubtful, but it's there. 6th, as has been stated, is realistic.

I don't understand why arsenal do so badly in away games. :/ It's the same team that has more of a chance winning at home! It shouldn't make a difference, discounting the fact that they're really low in confidence (and lack of fan support when away?). I thought the win over Real Madrid would give them tons of confidence for the game against Blackburn, and I thought we'd win 1 - 0 or 2 - 1 or something -- but apparently not.

We're seventh right now -- the lowest we can get is eighth, for now. That place in the table is really, really congested now -- they're all only about one or two points seperate from one another; and all we need is Bolton and Blackburn to lose one game, West Ham to lose two (just to be safe) and Wigan to lose one -- and then WE win one, and we should be right below the Spurs again. Uh...but it looks a lot easier on paper. The theory's too dependent on other teams losing than on us winning. But who knows. I think there's about 11 (or is it 10?) games yet. I have complete faith in Wenger; the man's brilliant.

Edit: But oh smurf I didn't realise that Bolton had TWO smurfing games in hand. I really hate them. They've been the bane of arsenal's existence this season.
    Last edited by Resha; 03-01-2006 at 01:08 PM.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge
    must have mis-read, my bad ^^

its true up to a point, liverpool out-do united in midfield, and by a good bit, but i think united win in defence aswell. you said united win in the attack, which is true, but i think united have better defenders, and although you didnt mention this, its there that i think united make the better team.
    i mean, liverpool have outstanding players like finnan and carragher, but united have players like ferdinand(through the crititism and whatever, hes still one of the best in my opinion), heinze(arguably the BEST defender in the world, and certinaly left back), gary neville(doesn't have the natural ability as someone like Terry but is solid all the same, and if united put Vidic(i seen this guy play, he's unreal, but he hasnt gelled in with the team yet) in there, or people like evra, o'shea, silvestre, they would all do the job as they are all decent players. thats just my assumption
    Although Utd currently have better defensive cover than Liverpool, I think Liverpool's first choice back 4 is better than Utd's. I'd take Finnan over Neville, Carra over Ferdinand and Hyypia over Vidic (although like you say, he hasn't gelled yet, but Hyypia is still doing incredible things week in, week out, even though people say he is past it) anyday. I'll admit Heinze is better than Riise, although I'd take Riise over Silvestre or Evra. I think the fact that Liverpool have conceded 10 less goals than United speaks volume in itself, really.

And finally, just a note on Heinze, hmm, I wouldn't say he's the best defender in the world, but he's definitely one of the best. I'd rate him as equal to Ashley Cole as far as the best left-back thing goes, although they're both suffering from long-term injuries at the moment, so I intend to wait for the World Cup to judge.

I'm a big West Ham fan we have had a truly superb season Harewood and Ahsdon are on excellent form at the mo and so is Gabbadon at the back. What do everyone fink about dem?