Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why Terra?

Ok, instead of re-writing what I had already said in another thread ('Favorite main character' in the 'General FF Forum' to be exact), I'll quote it.
    Final Fantasy VI may not have a proper main character, but it has a 'flagship' character, and that is Terra. So she does actually have the right to be called the main character of FFVI.

03-03-2006 12:34 AM
    Michael Belmont I read it in a magizine.
    03-03-2006 12:58 AM
    Flying Mullet Well then it must be true!
    I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.
    Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Devourer Of Worlds
    Are you sure it was a mag? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?
    Family Guy quote! (Heh, I love Brian)

Anyway, I don't think Terra is the lead. Plus, it couldn't have been NOA's doing because the game runs the same in Japan as it does here. NOA = Nintendo of America. If NOA changed it, the game would be different in Japan. And it's not. Plus, the re-release on the Playstation weren't NOA approved, and probably would've been the Japanese version, if such a thing existed.

As I was saying, Terra is not the lead. FF6 is a tricky game, in that sense. It has no main character. It is the story of Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Gau, and a few others. Sure, Terra is more important than Relm, but Relm is still important to the story. If you want to, you can finish the game without Terra. You can just completely forget about her. That's not a characteristic typical of a "main character". But I guess they pulled it off in Chrono Trigger, so meh. Even so, you can still have tens of hours of productive, progressive game play without Terra around. Or you can finish the game with only Celes, Edgar and Setzer... Wait, I think you have to get Sabin too. I'm not sure, but I think you may have to get Sabin also. Even so, you definitely don't have to get Terra if you don't want to. Nor do you have to get Locke. In fact, he's very out of the way.

Therefore, there is no clearly defined "main" in FF6. It's a united struggle by all the characters, each one as important as the next.

BTW, are there any times in the game where you HAVE to use Shadow? Or is he completely optional? I can't think of a time when using him is required, but hey, I haven't played in a few years...

Her leitmotif is the world map theme
    Not in WoR. Which I associate more strongly as the world map theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades
    Plus, almost the entire game deals with her race, the espers
    Yes. Yes it does.

But, even more than Espers, I'd say that the game deals with the race of Edgar, Locke, Cyan, Sabin, Gau, Relm, Strago, Shadow, Leo, Gestahl, Vicks, Wedge, Bannon, Arvis, the Narshe Elder, ?Kefka?, and many others...

That is, humans. The games deals quite a bit with humans, too. You know, as well as Espers, there are a couple of human characters in the game. In fact, I think even Terra is half-human.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Shadow forcibly joins your party when you travel to Crescent Island.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Shadow forcibly joins your party when you travel to Crescent Island.
    Ah, yes. Do you get the chance to name him there if you didn't name him at any other occasion? Like, in S. Figaro or at the place... the place right after you wash up on shore after the rafting incident? (the crazy guy's house)
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

No idea, I've never gone that far without talking to him. I'm sure that's the case, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor
    Family Guy quote! (Heh, I love Brian)

Anyway, I don't think Terra is the lead. Plus, it couldn't have been NOA's doing because the game runs the same in Japan as it does here. NOA = Nintendo of America. If NOA changed it, the game would be different in Japan. And it's not. Plus, the re-release on the Playstation weren't NOA approved, and probably would've been the Japanese version, if such a thing existed.

As I was saying, Terra is not the lead. FF6 is a tricky game, in that sense. It has no main character. It is the story of Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Gau, and a few others. Sure, Terra is more important than Relm, but Relm is still important to the story. If you want to, you can finish the game without Terra. You can just completely forget about her. That's not a characteristic typical of a "main character". But I guess they pulled it off in Chrono Trigger, so meh. Even so, you can still have tens of hours of productive, progressive game play without Terra around. Or you can finish the game with only Celes, Edgar and Setzer... Wait, I think you have to get Sabin too. I'm not sure, but I think you may have to get Sabin also. Even so, you definitely don't have to get Terra if you don't want to. Nor do you have to get Locke. In fact, he's very out of the way.

Therefore, there is no clearly defined "main" in FF6. It's a united struggle by all the characters, each one as important as the next.

BTW, are there any times in the game where you HAVE to use Shadow? Or is he completely optional? I can't think of a time when using him is required, but hey, I haven't played in a few years...

Not in WoR. Which I associate more strongly as the world map theme.

Yes. Yes it does.

But, even more than Espers, I'd say that the game deals with the race of Edgar, Locke, Cyan, Sabin, Gau, Relm, Strago, Shadow, Leo, Gestahl, Vicks, Wedge, Bannon, Arvis, the Narshe Elder, ?Kefka?, and many others...

That is, humans. The games deals quite a bit with humans, too. You know, as well as Espers, there are a couple of human characters in the game. In fact, I think even Terra is half-human.

Yeah? Well tell that to too many sexist females.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

What does sexism have to do with this? I've never seen anyone make a fuss about the sex of the main (or catalyst, if you people wanna nitpick) character in this game.

By the way, the game is exactly the same as it was in Japan, character wise. They didnt move Terra into a position of importance. She had always been there. Her role and Locke's role are exactly the same in both Japan and America.

the fact that the game has no actual main character is one of the best parts about it. saying terra or locke si the main doesnt make sense cause looking at proably every video game history with a main character the last battle always has the main character in it. you can use whoever you want. also come on you dont even ahve to get terra and locke to go and beat the game. setzer and celes are the only 2 required characters to advance in the game. in WoR you start off with celes and you need setzer to fly inot the last place obviously you need more guys to press all the buttons in kefkas tower but you can decide form there who you want to go and get. even though if i were to choose someone to be a main character id choose locke because you meet him early on and he sure does have a lot to say through out the game but still he's no main character.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Edgar is also required for the final battle, and Terra will show up no matter what you do, even if you never visit Mobliz.

You can complete Kefka's Tower with only the three required characters in the World of Ruin; Celes, Edgar, and Setzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    setzer and celes are the only 2 required characters to advance in the game. in WoR you start off with celes and you need setzer to fly inot the last place obviously you need more guys to press all the buttons in kefkas tower but you can decide form there who you want to go and get.
    This is inaccurate, actually; in addition to Celes and Setzer, Edgar must be acquired to further the game. Using only these three to finish is often referred to as a CES Challenge.

Banned

Oh please both japan and the us versons the same? Come on they don't have the same script do they? I guess you didn't study the japanese verson did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Belmont
    Oh please both japan and the us versons the same? Come on they don't have the same script do they? I guess you didn't study the japanese verson did you?
    The stories are the same, the roles are the same, the script may be different but that doesnt change those.

No, I think very few of us here can actually speak Japanese. However, every reliable source out there has never included anything about Locke being the main character in the Jap version.

Besides, even if you couldn't read the text on the screen it would have been obvious to anyone that Locke wasn't the main character. Both Terra and Celes get far more screen time than he does.

Banned

There is a fan-translation verson you Ted Woosley worshipers. And no there relly is no main charater it revolved around nobody just like they said so don't flame me.