For adults (aged 20 or above):

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

* Underweight = Below 18.5
    * Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    * Overweight = 25-29.9
    * Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

For teens and children:

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Calculator.aspx

Body Mass Index can calculate if you're underweight, overweight or average by comparing your height and weight. If you want to input the numbers in the metric system, just click where it says metric on that site. It's right above where you input the numbers.

Now, many of you may get underweight, but that's because most of you are still growing. Also, a stupid number shouldn't mean anything anyway so don't worry. As long as you're comfortable in your body then it really doesn't matter. I've pretty much been rated as underweight all my life, but I didn't really think so. So I think this is not going to be accurate for many people anyway.

So post your number if you want and/or discuss whether you are happy with yourself.

I find myself to be a bit skinny yet, but it's not bothering me much. And my number is 21,4.

edit: oi, found a calculator for teens and children.
    Last edited by Levian; 08-19-2006 at 12:44 PM.

29. I find that quite encouraging, cos last time I took that thing, I got 33.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My BMI is 20.3.

Am I happy with it? Yeah, but I'd like to have a totally flat tummy.

I aint got a clue. Im 12 stone if that counts. Also, if loseing weight means losing my man boobies, you can forget it. I love my man boobies.

Your cute arnt you, my littles babies, yes you are. *Gets taken back to the mental hospital*

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got a 24, which is healthy weight. I'm really not where I want to be weight wise, because I am so short. Ideally, for someone my height and age, I should be around 21 BMI, which would mean that I would have to lose 10 pounds. I am so lazy. ;___;

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    I got a 24, which is healthy weight. I'm really not where I want to be weight wise, because I am so short. Ideally, for someone my height and age, I should be around 21 BMI, which would mean that I would have to lose 10 pounds. I am so lazy. ;___;
    Awww, we love you the way you are.

Also, im actually 13 stone. I put on weight. DAMN MUFFINS!!!*kicks muffins*
    Last edited by I Am Stoner; 08-19-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Touché,Threeché,SPAMATION Monster Hunt's Avatar

20.2 it seems.
    was all like to who was acctually feeling due to the fact that :oscar: & :frylock: couldn't go to his b'day party. patted him on the back and :mog: said there's always next year. felt more , felt , but :moose: (who knows when (as the person he is) he came in) was more of a . :magus: jumped in and told that no one really likes him. BROKEN ran everyone over with a :sophia:. So lived happily ever after, especially after he had with :rsl:
    The end!

66% of sig statistics are fake- and so is this one.

Is that calculator even accurate? I wrote this a while ago for some in-class sociology assignment. It's terrible since we only had 15 minutes to do it, but eh...

Quote Originally Posted by feona17
    Body Mass Insanity concentrates on the issue of the BMI (Body Mass Index, used to determine the range of healthy and unhealthy weights using a mathematical formula) and that perhaps that it is misleading because it cannot possibly account for all different body types and lifestyles out there. Experts say it’s more harmful than guiding because it labels you obese or not, and not taking into account that physical activity is good health. Which means that physical activity, smoking, lifestyle and genetics affect health much more than weight. According to the article, some famous actors and celebrities who appear to be healthy and perfect are actually obese as said by the BMI.

BMI is just part of a culture and society that simply loves slimmer figures, and promotes the idea of being obese or thin and not changing your life.

“A fit obese person can be healthier than a normal-weight couch potato.”

If you’re obese according to the BMI, doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy. I agree that it simply means that they’re might be a health problem in the future.

“Health problems caused by being overweight will be fixed only by changes in society. We must all become more active and eat healthier food.”

I feel that this is an essential piece of information because it is more than likely true. Our society is so caught up with being thin, and trying to fit that Barbie and Ken image rather than being healthy. People are very uneducated about what the BMI really means, and are fascinated with being slim that they don’t realize that they could be healthy. This could very well lead to eating disorders, depression and the like. The BMI is a part of the media, and the media is nutrition for image junkies who become obsessed with their weight and beauty.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yep, that's BMI. It only shows a relation between height and weight to give a rough estimate. I'm pretty sure it has never stated otherwise. How healthy a person really is, is determined by hundreds of different factors, so the BMI is not supposed to be taken that serious. It's more of a body shape measurer, or something.

My BMI is 20.4. It's a healthy weight, but I look like a whale anyways. xD
    All life begins with a Nu and ends with a Nu.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

<3 Feona. BMI is pretty much a crock. My BMI is 18.9 - I know people with a BMI of around 30 who can beat me at pretty much any physical activity you care to name, and I don't doubt that in the absence of medical intervention, they'd live longer and better than me.

I actually just did this exact test 2 days ago, I got 17.5. Help :cry:

Blog Entries

there was a picture here

19.6 It says im healthy.

Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 19.6, placing the BMI-for-age at the 59th percentile for girls aged 13 years 2 months. This teen has a healthy weight.
    http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Res...ext=0&wttext=0

i'm giving up,
    on the entire human race....