View Poll Results: World Map - Yay or Nay?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better without

12 22.64%
  • Sucked without

32 60.38%
  • I don't know!

9 16.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No World Map - Yay or Nay?

Default No World Map - Yay or Nay?

I actually like not having the big huge world map where you're a huge giant looking upon little cities which happen to enlarge when you walk near them, or maybe you just shrink...anyways...I thought it was nice to have the airship way of no travel.

Looking for secrets...sure, finding little dots on your map wasn't a very good replacement, but I'm way fine without searching for random crap. Reason so, is because of the amount of travel you already do in the locations set. From dungeons, forests, deserts, all that junk, I felt it made up for it.

I too preffered the world map rather than choosing from a list of sites.
    The world map is an essential element of rpgs. Tonnes of RPG's have world maps! Taking away the world map is like taking away the rpgness
    and i liked maps as it was much easier to find a place to train your characters at.
    Normally I don't advertise or spam for stuff, but i've decided to set my cause to help a needy forum! so come and join http://s13.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_...ex.php?act=idx

I voted 'Sucked without' though that is not what I really thought, sure they did a good job of replacing it, but I really like to spend alot of time just exploring and finding secret places on the map, little hard on FFX, the absence of the world map made the game seem alot smaller.

I would've voted 'It wasn't bad' if the option was avaliable :P

"Reflect on your..." "Childhood..." "Your sensation..." "Your words..." "Your emotions..."

Nay i like world map :P
    it wuz a lot less confuzing.

asdfghjkl;'

No offense, but how was it confusing, you walk in a straight line, whereas a world map can cause you to get lost!

I missed the ability to fly and towering over towns. I would have been much happier flying into Sin, circling it, taunting it, like with the weapons off VII, instead of just selecting it off a list...

I prefer having a world map to explore. I would've liked to have stumbled across the Omega Ruins myself, rather than searching for a coordinate on a grid. Perhaps they could've combined the two to create something similar to WA3's Seach Sphere.
    Last edited by TheSpoonyBard; 03-05-2006 at 05:31 PM.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree with Endless Twilight. A world map is much better for hidden/secret areas than the system FFX used.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What Endless Twilight said is true, yeah. But I really don't care about secrets and stuff in games, unless it's like Drakengard but you know whatever.

So I liked the absence of the world map here. It worked for this game, and for X-2 obviously, and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar again.
    --Box Box Box Box

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I prefer world maps simply because it was hard to go back somewhere before you found the airship, and then once the airship was found it was possible to go places way to advanced in the game (I think).

I would've liked a World Map

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

i think it was more realistic without a world map, cause althoguh the places wouldn't lead right into each other cause they're so spread out on the map, it was a lot more realistic than you shrinking, the cities growing

but i also like the world map so i'm easy

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't miss it.

since i played that MMO, i often ran in the wrong directions. i liked how it was in Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy IX, both with the little square/global displays when you're out in the field.

I don't mond both. In FFX though, they could of made it that you saw the airship fly to the place you selected. I like that fact the it take ages to walk anywhere in the world, it gives it that realistic feel and being a part of the story in almost every area of the world, instead of seeing the main character twice the size of cities and places being so far apart from the next place.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

i dont think that it sucked without the map but i would prefer it to have one, but with the new graphics it makes it hard to actually create a world map.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*