Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oscars Results !

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SoulTaker*
    Anyway im not disputing whether BBM was a good movie, it ran to much with a gimmick, a well directed and acted gimmick, but a gimmick non the less, and Heath Ledger an Australian looks nothing like a cowboy I have ever seen btw.
    Brokeback Mountain did not "run with a gimmick." To say that the movie was nothing more than a gimmick is not only a incredibly shallow assessment of the film, but it's downright false.

The media ran with the "gay cowboy" gimmick. But the people actually involved in the film never EVER hyped the gay content of the movie. To claim that Brokeback was simply a one-note gimmick movie is doing a huge disservice to the film, and I would think that even people who didn't love the movie would acknowledge the fact that if nothing else, this movie was a subtle and multi-dimensional.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

SoulTaker, that scene described in your spoiler had tears in my eyes. I don't normally have tears in my eyes so that says something about it.

I plan to watch Brokeback Mountain some day. Probably right when it comes out on DVD. Until then, I won't can't say that Crash is a better or worse movie. I just know that I thought Crash was a great movie in its own right. Maybe not best picture material though. Never once when I was watching it did I think "wow, this movie should get some Oscars."

Articles

You know what we should do? We should all just watch all five of the nominees, and then decide which one we think is the best.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    You know what we should do? We should all just watch all five of the nominees, and then decide which one we think is the best.
    YES. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

And you would think that a group whose sole purpose is to recognize the best movies of the year, would actually require their voters to watch each and every nominated film before voting. *pulls hair out*

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Then why didn't you say it instead of talking on for a page about how corrupt the Oscars were this year? I think you are lying.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    Then why didn't you say it instead of talking on for a page about how corrupt the Oscars were this year? I think you are lying.
    I believe she was saying the Oscar's were corrupt this year because of some of the members of the academy saying that they would not see Brokeback Mountain or vote for it, thus not seeing all of the nominees and making an informed decision. And, she just had a very strong opinion.

I'm just curious to know how many members of the academy made that claim.
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 03-07-2006 at 10:40 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    What? That's exactly what I did say. And lying about what?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    I'm just curious to know how many members of the academy made that claim.
    I'd like to know more specifics too. I'd like to know how close the voting was, how many people actually saw all the movies, how many people saw some of the movies, and how many people only watched Crash.

The only specific numbers that are known right now is that Lions Gate Films distributed 125,000 free DVD copies of Crash to Academy members. And one can only assume that such an agressive marketing campaign gave Crash the edge over all the other nominees.
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-07-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Anyone else not care about the Oscars at all?

I sure don't. Actually, I can't say that I care about any awards shows.

The only reason I thought about watching the Oscars was for Jon Stewart. That's it. I really could care less otherwise.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, thanks for letting us know!

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

anyone want to post a comment on what I said earlier about lousy Oscar nominations?
    ...Geddit?

I forgot to quote. I was only talking about this part

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    YES. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
    To which I say

I can only assume you took it as me refering to the second part of the post which it was not meant to go after. It was to go after him saying that is what he is talking about when he never lead on anywhere that we should all decided for ourselves but appearantly that is what he is talking about.

All I hear is 'Dumbsmurf mountain got jewed by Crush!!!!' It is harder to make fun of Crash's name due to how short and simple it is.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sorry, but I'm really not understanding you. Are you talking about Strider? And who is lying about anything?

Your hopeless.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

In Miriel's defense, I don't know what you're talking about either. You start out referring to Miriel's post, but halfway through you switch to referring to her in the third person and calling her a him. That would make it seem like you were talking to Strider, but your criticisms don't make any sense if that is the case.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

xD

Miriel: ed's simply saying that he thinks you're not just asking for everyone to see all the nominee's and make their own decision, but that you're implying that anyone who doesn't think Brokeback Mountain is better than Crash is obviously biased and corrupt in some way. Which, I'll admit, your rant did come off a bit that way.

EDIT: RSL, that "him" in ed's post referred to Strider.

You all fail at reading comprehension.

EDIT2: in Miriel's and RSL's defense, ed's explanation really sucked.