Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oscars Results !

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    It was to go after him saying that is what he is talking about
    Miriel made the "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!" post.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    Miriel: ed's simply saying that he thinks you're not just asking for everyone to see all the nominee's and make their own decision, but that you're implying that anyone who doesn't think Brokeback Mountain is better than Crash is obviously biased and corrupt in some way. Which, I'll admit, your rant did come off a bit that way.

EDIT: RSL, that "him" in ed's post referred to Strider.

You all fail at reading comprehension.
    The "That's what I'm talking about!" was me agreeing with what Strider had to say, not me claiming that that's exactly what I posted.

Here is the main point of my rant:

And in none of my criticism of the Academy do I blame the creators of Crash. Crash is a good (but very flawed) movie and everyone should see it if they can. But Crash was not a work of art, as Brokeback Mountain was.

Roger Eberts, crazy and senile as he is predicted that Crash would win. I can respect him on his opinon that Crash was the best picture of the year. Why? Because he saw all the movies and compared them based on content and what they made him feel. Can't argue with that.

But the Academy has members on record as saying they wouldn't watch BBM and wouldn't vote for it based on nothing but the gay storyline. That's the sore spot.
    I don't understand how anyone can claim that I think everyone who likes Crash better than Brokeback is corrupt. I specifically said that the thing that really sucks is that most people didn't bother to watch Brokeback.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh, ok. Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how to translate that. xD

EDIT: in reply to RSL.

In reply to Miriel, yes, I understand what you're saying. But how many Academy members said that? And everybody has prejudices that sometimes affect their judgment and subsequent voting, Academy members not excluded. It's just because that this time it might've been an anti-homosexual prejudice that has people up in arms. Some people didn't like BM because homosexuals or homosexual themes make them uncomfortable. It's not much different than not liking The Land Before Time because you don't like dinosaur themes.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I quote Raistlin in my own defense here

ed's qxplanation really sucked
    But I admit to doing no wrong!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is my opinion that if even one Academy member casted a vote for Best Picture without seeing all five nominated films, then that is wrong. I know they aren't told that they have to do that, but I think it should be that way.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by RSL
    It is my opinion that if even one Academy member casted a vote for Best Picture without seeing all five nominated films, then that is wrong. I know they aren't told that they have to do that, but I think it should be that way.
    Oh, I'm not disputing that. I whole-heartedly agree. But if they didn't like a certain picture due to their own personal prejudices, well...that's how it goes. That's how everybody judges things, consciously or not.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right, I agree. What I think Miriel is saying is, that although she would've still been greatly disappointed in Brokeback Mountain losing, she wouldn't have been so mad had every Oscar voter at least seen the film.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So it's coming in from several reliable sources that backstage at the Kodak after "Crash" was announced Best Picture during the commercial break, Jack Nicholson was overheard saying how shocked he was that "Brokeback" didn't win and that he had voted for "Brokeback".

Apparently, Paul Haggis had just come off stage with his Oscar and was standing right behind Nicholson. Jack turned around, realizing Haggis had heard him and said something like, "But, hey, I liked your film too. Good work."

Oh Jack. I love you.

I think he looked just as suprised as everyone else was when he opened the Envelope and he said "Crash" instead of "Brokeback".

Right, I agree. What I think Miriel is saying is, that although she would've still been greatly disappointed in Brokeback Mountain losing, she wouldn't have been so mad had every Oscar voter at least seen the film.
    Yes.

I might as well post what I posted in my LJ, because this is where the biggest disservice will come from (and from what I've seen, it's already started):

BBM is a cultural phenomenon, and so are the Oscars. That stamp of approval for a gay film would've been extremely culturally significant. As is the lack of it.

The biggest downside to this loss is how some media will paint it as a huge fault of the film, and dirty its image. Now all the people who made shallow stabs at Brokeback will feel justified in making their jokes and will never give the movie a chance they might have given it, had it won the Oscar.
    And as Stephen King said in his article this morning, "there's been a fair amount of talk about Brokeback being a breakthrough, but that's nonsense. A check of Brokeback parodies on Google should convince anyone with half a brain that the American pop culture is intent on passing this passionate, well-meant, and well-made movie like a kidney stone. And how does the American pop culture pass what it cannot stand? Easy. It laughs that s--- right out of its system."
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-07-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane
    Aw, Howl's Moving Castle was good!
    In it's defense Wallace and Gromit did take about seven years to make. So really if it didn't get some awards it'd be a kick in the hutzpah.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I didn't watch the Oscars this year, and from what I've heard I didn't miss much. However, if this year shapes up to be as good for movies as I think it is going to be, then I can't wait until the next Oscars to see if the Academy pulls their head out of their ass and recognizes some of the inevitably great films that are coming out in 2006.

Here's a brief list of movies I'm really anticipating this year:

Southland Tales (Richard Kelly)
    The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky)
    Inland Empire (David Lynch)
    V For Vendetta (James McTeigue)
    A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater)
    The Prestige (Chris Nolan)
    Apocalypto (Mel Gibson)
    Zodiac (David Fincher)
    There Will Be Blood (P.T. Anderson)
    Apocalypto (Mel Gibson)
    Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola)
    The Da Vinci Code (Ron Howard)
    Grind House (Tarantino/Rodriguez)
    Clerks II (Kevin Smith)
    Lady in the Water (M. Night Shyamalan)
    The Science of Sleep (Michael Gondry)
    Sunshine (Danny Boyle)
    The Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron)

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

<i>BBM is a cultural phenomenon, and so are the Oscars. That stamp of approval for a gay film would've been extremely culturally significant. As is the lack of it.</i>
    Yes, it is a cultural phenomenon. But I can think of a lot of cultural phenomenons that not only haven't made the Oscars but most people wouldn't care for anyway because they're simply not the best films out there. Every time someone mentions "But it touched on an important issue! It NEEDED the Oscar!", someone will say "But the homosexuality is a gimmick" and then the pro-BBM people say "No, it wasn't a gimmick! It was just a good movie! The fact that it's about homosexuality doesn't matter!" ...make up your minds, people. Cultural Phenomenon, yes. Gimmick, yes. Am I honestly the only person who notices that a lot of movies are gimmicks? That is the way of the world. Just accept it, please. Anyone who thinks that the same movie could be watched by a world that doesn't care about homosexuality and still get as many awards is ignorant. It WASN'T that good a movie. At least, I don't think so at all. I nearly fell asleep after about an hour, and talking to my friend Emma last night, she replied to that with "half an hour". Sometimes things don't go your way. Stop crying about it.

I DO agree that homophobia will come into play. I DO agree that every movie should have been watched. I DO agree that pop culture would shun BBM because of it's inability to approve of homosexuality at this time - at least in America, anyway. But what I don't agree with is people saying that BBM is <i>unquestionably</i> the best movie. You know what? A lot of people simply didn't think so. I've been uncomfortable in movies. Lots of them. This was just another one for me - but I found it boring. <i>Boring</i>. Well acted. Beautiful scenery. But I can get both of those things by walking around outside. Great directing? Maybe, I don't know too much about that. Story? Bored me. Tension etc? I never felt it. Not once. Does anyone stop to think that maybe a lot of people simply aren't into this kind of movie? I've seen other movies like it and I never cared for them either. I'm not saying it was a bad movie. I'm just saying that I personally think it isn't the best. The latter half was cool, but hey, the latter half of a lot of movies can be cool, and this is just another movie for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    <i>Am I honestly the only person who notices that a lot of movies are gimmicks? That is the way of the world. Just accept it, please. Anyone who thinks that the same movie could be watched by a world that doesn't care about homosexuality and still get as many awards is ignorant. It WASN'T that good a movie. At least, I don't think so at all. I nearly fell asleep after about an hour, and talking to my friend Emma last night, she replied to that with "half an hour". Sometimes things don't go your way. Stop crying about it.</i>
    BoB: You could make exactly the same point about Crash. If the world didn't care about racism, people wouldn't appreciate it as much. In fact, I'd say that Crash relies more on its subject matter than Brokeback. At the end of the day, Brokeback is a story about two people who want to be together and can't. That story will still stand up no matter who the protagonists are. Crash makes no sense without the racism backdrop: without it, it's pointless. (Just like taking a film out of context.)

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype
    Anyway to those who have seen Walk The Line was Reese Witherspoon's performance really that good?
    Yes. Unquestionably. Also Phoenix deserved Best Actor.

No comment on the BBM/Crash issue, because I've not seen BBM. Except to say that if any movie other than Walk The Line or Serenity had to win, than I know they could have done much worse than Crash.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt
    BoB: You could make exactly the same point about Crash. If the world didn't care about racism, people wouldn't appreciate it as much. In fact, I'd say that Crash relies more on its subject matter than Brokeback. At the end of the day, Brokeback is a story about two people who want to be together and can't. That story will still stand up no matter who the protagonists are. Crash makes no sense without the racism backdrop: without it, it's pointless. (Just like taking a film out of context.)
    I know. I'm just saying that right now homosexuality as an issue of debate is at it's peak, much like racism was when Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King were making themselves known. If a racism movie was made then, I'd say they are going with a gimmick too. Racism definitely is commonplace these days but I don't think it's so much of an issue at the moment that it's "riding the wave" as I say about BBM. After all, people of coloured skin (etc) are free already - the racism is now not a good thing. However homosexuals and those that support their rights are still struggling at this time to get that freedom, hence this movie is riding the wave.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!