Thread: "Game of Shadows" - Barry Bonds and Steroids

Default "Game of Shadows" - Barry Bonds and Steroids

This is a book set to come out March 27th. There's an excerpt from it in SI - <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/03/06/growth0313/index.html">here.</a>

I hope they strip him - and Mark McGwire, and Rafael Palmeiro - of everything he ever "did." What a joke to the human race. Luckily, he lied under oath, so his immunity is out the window. I can't wait to read this book.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 03-08-2006 at 12:24 AM.

If they did it, they should be stripped yes, it should be dealt with like all cheating is. It is a little weird that the home run record stood for like what 30-40 years, and it has been broken 3 times in 10 years. Somethings not right.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow. I don't follow baseball or really even care about it that much, but reading that (and I did read it all) made me sick to my stomach. While I could care less about baseball's records, I do think that any accomplishments made by Bonds or anyone else should be wiped out completely. It's a farce.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I didn't read that whole excerpt, but I did read at least five pages. I've never liked Bonds, and always hoped Hank Aaron's record would hold up. Unless this book is somehow filled entirely with false information, I'd say it's likely my wish will be satisfied.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

From what I read it seems as though baseball didn't test for the stuff and didn't outlaw it until recently. That is the impression I got.

I don't really care if the records stand or not. While they are impressive they are not as impressive as how good some players do in todays game.

Today all sports are much more competitive and most of those players could never compete at the level required to be on top today. Also consider rule changes and stuff like that.

Kobe and his 81 points is far more impressive that Wilt's 100.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    From what I read it seems as though baseball didn't test for the stuff and didn't outlaw it until recently. That is the impression I got.

I don't really care if the records stand or not. While they are impressive they are not as impressive as how good some players do in todays game.

Today all sports are much more competitive and most of those players could never compete at the level required to be on top today. Also consider rule changes and stuff like that.

Kobe and his 81 points is far more impressive that Wilt's 100.
    You're correct. Until '02, steroids were not tested for in baseball. However, they were and are illegal as far as government is concerned. Barry Bonds has used steroids since 2002, without a doubt.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Thank you for clarifying the year. Anything hid did up till 2003 should stand then.

I say the 2002 should stand only because the new agreement which outlawed steroids in the MLB didn't happen until late August near the end of the season.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp