Thread: *smacks head on keyboard* I HATE Intel... (Help Needed)

Default *smacks head on keyboard* I HATE Intel... (Help Needed)

They couldn't write a decent video driver to save their lives.

Randomly when I play on my laptop, the game freezes and drops to my desktop, which has suddenly dropped to 600x400 resolution and 16 colors, and gives me the message that the ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working properly and to restart my computer. Sometimes this happens after I've played for two hours; sometimes, this happens before I can get to the character selection screen. When I check their website, their advice is to install the latest drivers. This solution did not work when I first tried it 5 months ago. It did not work today when I installed the driver they released a little less than a month ago.

Looking around the net to try and solve this problem, I have found that their drivers do this for several other games, most notably Neverwinter Nights and The Sims 2, which shows that it's Intel's damn fault and not something on Square's side.

The other solution they offer is to play the game in windowed mode. Which is all fine and well for other games, but FFXI exits when full screen mode is lost. I do not want to run in windowed mode. I think it looks better that way, plus the gamma in fullscreen isn't thrown off by my very bright desktop image. But I'm getting sick of this.

So basically, I'm asking if someone knows a way to fix this, or if someone can pass me a link to a windower that works (I tried the Archbell windower. All it did was crash POL when I tried starting FFXI) so I can try Intel's stupid solution. 'Course, if their advice is anything like their driver, it won't work.

Gah, this is driving me insane and I'd appreciate any help.
    Sig under construction.

Blog Entries

http://ffxi.archbell.com/ is the windower I use.

The problem with that windower is, it crashes POL when I try to start FFXI, so that isn't going to work for me.

I heard there was a windower by a japanese author somewhere that worked very well. Has anyone else heard of it?
    Sig under construction.