Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goth Music / Culture

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

At least Goth's easier to tolerate than Emo.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Dude you are right about so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboDragon
    Since I am always into broadening my Musical Horizon I would like to check it out. Are there any bands in particular that I should start listening to first?
    The ones I listed in my first post are some of the most well known examples, and tend to be the ones people going for first when trying to get into the scene. Though I personally find Bauhaus to be mindnumbingly, tumour inducingly dull 90% of the time, I do have a fondness for The Sisters of Mercy and The Crüxshadows.

If your internet connection can handle it, check out these MySpace communities for the two bands. It'll give you some idea of what they sound like.

The Sisters of Mercy

The Crüxshadows
    (Stay away from Marilyn My Bitterness though. It's angstiness will make your eyes bleed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power

What isn't?
    -"If she's happy then... I don't mind."

Erm, The Cure is no where near the gothic sub-culture. In fact, I believe it to be more emo then anything.

It's funny what classifies as gothic music really. For example, anything with a piano and some form of actual melody would make the music gothic. Examples are Evanescence and Nightwish even though they lean towards melodic metal they still hold gothic undertones.

I refuse to listen to Nightwish's recent new albums after fireing their beautiful voice.
    (\_/)
    ( ' .')
    (''')_(''')

Quote Originally Posted by Wizdumb
    Erm, The Cure is no where near the gothic sub-culture. In fact, I believe it to be more emo then anything.

It's funny what classifies as gothic music really. For example, anything with a piano and some form of actual melody would make the music gothic. Examples are Evanescence and Nightwish even though they lean towards melodic metal they still hold gothic undertones.

I refuse to listen to Nightwish's recent new albums after fireing their beautiful voice.
    Even though she was not doing it for the love of music? She was doing it for money, not for passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultimortal
    Well, though Goth definitely was born out of Punk, with bands like The Cure, it would be naive to say that bands like Cradle of Filth aren't Goth. It's true that music changes, and Goth became associated more and more with Heavy Metal music as the years went by, until Goth and Death Metal were practically the same thing. Thus bands like Cradle of Filth.
    But I definitely aggree with the Slipknot part, in fact it doesn't even need to be said. Anyone who thinks Slipknot are at all Goth is seriously depraved. (I could go into a Slipknot rant, but I won't.)

So, being a "modern" Goth, I would have to say that my favourite band of that genre is Cradle of Filth, even though they are more Death Metal than Goth.
    I just love it when people don't know what they are talking about.

Cradle of Filth have NOT and NEVER have had anything to do with Death metal. Nor black metal. They are and always have been Gothic metal, which despite similarities in names HAS nothing to do with Goth Rock.
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

CH: Do not take this any further. You too, Darth Ultimortal.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

First off.. Not here to make my face known. =] Although I love Opeth to death, I still don't merge into the Black and Death metal genres. <3.
    Now.. For all you people who think NIN and Marilyn Manson is 'Goth' music. I hope you all learn to gets some brains going on here. Marilyn Manson just wants to sell cd's and make propaganda out of his Idea's and ability to be a culture Icon. Alright I do <3 Mr. Manson. I have to defend the people on this one, that Manson -is- industrial, and he's nothing 'goth', sure the people with the stereotypical 'goth' outlook listen to such music, doesn't actually make the music in general 'goth.'
    So how about we don't stereotype the actions of music to the actions of people who listen to the music? Kay? ^^
    NIN pure industrial metal.. been around since the late 80's/early 90's.
    I for one can't even believe MCR is thought of as a 'goth' band and it makes my eyes crawl out of their socket to even read that. ; ;
    Not bashing 'goth' music at all, I can easily listen to alot of music, My methods of getting to it are slim to none though. I'm just here to clear some thing's up on people who listen to music to either gain a stereotype, try to be 'cool', or not look into something before they say Mr. Manson and NIN are 'Goth'
    *Mumbles some about how Vincent needs to keep these people straight on their music smarts, then hops off with her Trent Reznor plushie in hand*
    <3.

[Edit: *drags self back in* Okay.. just saw something... Technical definition for 'Goth' as fashion goes is someone who wears clothing of the gothic times, renesance, the dark ages, all that fun stuff... now.. if we put that into the musical sense.. The music then was always very choral and operaic (not opera, operatic) which is incorporated into alot of 'goth' music, besides the growling sounds, the composition of most 'goth' bands can rival none other, for the fact they actually take some time and right -music- into their music... Do you know what I mean? O o;;; Oh.. and Black and Death metal have the same basic structure in them just as 'gothic' metal does. CoF is Black, look at the specs and what not, It may have icons of operatic and choral outlooks, but there is alot more likenesses to black then there are to 'gothic'
    If you took out lyrics and singing, all the elements of music in the song, can easily be left alone, for it is true well written and worked out music, as it was in the gothic times. NOW! Stop!!! STEREOTYPING!!! *melts and swishes off with Little Trent*
    Last edited by Avarice-ness; 03-12-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    QUOTE]

Even though she was not doing it for the love of music? She was doing it for money, not for passion.

I'll have to research on that bit of information. It was her husbands doing. My apologizes.

Dumb bastard.
    (\_/)
    ( ' .')
    (''')_(''')

Banned

No band could really be considered merely gothic metal. It is a way too vague term to use without a description of what the actual metal part of the music is like.

And I've never understood why the word goth has become associated with art and architecture of the dark ages and sometimes later. Who decided to call that gothic, and why?

Thank you Avarice-ness! Marry me?

Crushed Hope and Ultimortal: Please guys, keep my thread civil if you're going to argue your point.

Lets clarify a few points that have been raised so far.

1) Cradle of Filth are not goth. And they most definately aren't goth metal. Their music bares no similarites to the goth style of music, which as already stated, is an idustrial derived sound that blends some elements from EBM and darkwave music. In general. There are always exceptions, of course.

2)The Cure are a goth band. They are also a huge part of the goth subculture. This is a basic fact. Anyone would has spent ten minutes in the culutre knows this.

3) Trent Reznor is a known goth, but this does not make his music goth. It is industrial.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    No band could really be considered merely gothic metal. It is a way too vague term to use without a description of what the actual metal part of the music is like.
    I have to disagree with that. Ever heard of Tristania? They are, and always have been defined as a goth (not gothic) metal band. They music derived elements from the goth genre, but it is very clearly a metal sound. There are other goth metal bands out there, though I've haven't had to the chance to get into them.

(I'm one of the few goths who accept goth metal as a legitimate genre. Many don't)

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    And I've never understood why the word goth has become associated with art and architecture of the dark ages and sometimes later. Who decided to call that gothic, and why?
    I think you may have your terms mixed up slightly. Gothic architecture from architecture from the dark ages, as you are correct in stated. Definiton of something GOTHIC tends to refer to something that is dark, evil looking or grotesque to most people's eyes. Since goth music tends to focus almost exclusively on dark imagery and sounds, it gained that name to describe the genre.
    Last edited by Vincent Valentine; 03-13-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    -"If she's happy then... I don't mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness
    First off.. Not here to make my face known. =] Although I love Opeth to death, I still don't merge into the Black and Death metal genres. <3.
    Now.. For all you people who think NIN and Marilyn Manson is 'Goth' music. I hope you all learn to gets some brains going on here. Marilyn Manson just wants to sell cd's and make propaganda out of his Idea's and ability to be a culture Icon. Alright I do <3 Mr. Manson. I have to defend the people on this one, that Manson -is- industrial, and he's nothing 'goth', sure the people with the stereotypical 'goth' outlook listen to such music, doesn't actually make the music in general 'goth.'
    So how about we don't stereotype the actions of music to the actions of people who listen to the music? Kay? ^^
    NIN pure industrial metal.. been around since the late 80's/early 90's.
    I for one can't even believe MCR is thought of as a 'goth' band and it makes my eyes crawl out of their socket to even read that. ; ;
    Not bashing 'goth' music at all, I can easily listen to alot of music, My methods of getting to it are slim to none though. I'm just here to clear some thing's up on people who listen to music to either gain a stereotype, try to be 'cool', or not look into something before they say Mr. Manson and NIN are 'Goth'
    *Mumbles some about how Vincent needs to keep these people straight on their music smarts, then hops off with her Trent Reznor plushie in hand*
    <3.

[Edit: *drags self back in* Okay.. just saw something... Technical definition for 'Goth' as fashion goes is someone who wears clothing of the gothic times, renesance, the dark ages, all that fun stuff... now.. if we put that into the musical sense.. The music then was always very choral and operaic (not opera, operatic) which is incorporated into alot of 'goth' music, besides the growling sounds, the composition of most 'goth' bands can rival none other, for the fact they actually take some time and right -music- into their music... Do you know what I mean? O o;;; Oh.. and Black and Death metal have the same basic structure in them just as 'gothic' metal does. CoF is Black, look at the specs and what not, It may have icons of operatic and choral outlooks, but there is alot more likenesses to black then there are to 'gothic'
    If you took out lyrics and singing, all the elements of music in the song, can easily be left alone, for it is true well written and worked out music, as it was in the gothic times. NOW! Stop!!! STEREOTYPING!!! *melts and swishes off with Little Trent*
    Well Spoken. I love it when someone can be into different kinds of music, but know all of those different roots and influences each take.

I have always felt every band is it's own Genre in a way, but sometimes culture and genre take some into categories. Music History is sort of like a big tree that just splits out with endless amounts of branches with each new sound and each new experimentation. Ever changing and ever growing.

I just personally havent had a chance to get exposed to Goth Music, I have noticed it is almost like Jazz in the sense that you have to know what you are looking for before you start looking, you know?

Granted everyone has things they like and things they don't like, but when someone can acknowledge this simple concept of music with an open mind, they definately earn my respect as a lover of music.

Oh, and Vincent, Thanks. I checked out the links and dig the sound, I'll dig up some more soon for sure.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Ah... the NIN rants, how i had waited...

Yah, NIN is definitely not what I would reference as a quintessential Goth band, as was stated before, there is infinitely more industrial and angst-rock than anything in the music. however, at the least, I've always considered the more melodic tracks to be at least reminscent of the gothic style.

I hate to compare apples to... well, something that is definitely not an apple, but anyway. Take a NIN track like, say, The Frail, and compare the classical influences within to something like, say Bauhaus's Hollow hills.

*in inherent rebuttles, please take note I'm making a reference, not to NIN as GOTH, but as Industrial with gothic influences and moments.
    Last edited by GhandiOwnsYou; 03-13-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Personally I don't like this "Goth" music very much. I prefer the kind of music that most of the world classes as Goth, but indeed an ignorant world this is, so I've got no reason to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Valentine

Cradle of Filth are not goth. And they most definately aren't goth metal. Their music bares no similarites to the goth style of music, which as already stated, is an idustrial derived sound that blends some elements from EBM and darkwave music. In general. There are always exceptions, of course.

Of course they are not Goth. They are Gothic metal, the thing is, as I believe I had said Goth rock and Gothic metal are only similar in name. Cradle of Filth may take some very small influences from black metal, but at the core they are what is refered to in the metal community as Gothic metal.

(I'm one of the few goths who accept goth metal as a legitimate genre. Many don't)

Which is good, because those that don't accept it as a legit genre are ignorant of metal.