Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version should I play?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Which version should I play?

yeah yeah, I know, I'm quite the topic starter.
    Sorry about that, but asuming you are (mostly) FF experts, I rather ask your opinion.

I finally beat FF VI (I just loved it, Kefka was to easy but that's off-topic.)

Now, I've been longing to play FF V or III as well.
    I decided to take on V first.

But here's where you all come in: which version of V should I play?
    The PSX version, or the translated SNES rom?
    I heard that the PSX version has loading times... But, it also has some nice 3d scenes, I suppose...

If you were me, what would you choose?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The load times are terrible. Play the ROM. ^_^

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

What load times o_0 that 3 seconds you have to wait when you load a saved game??? jesus buy the psx version, it's got some awesome scenes in it and a few updated graphics here and there
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Omega
    What load times o_0 that 3 seconds you have to wait when you load a saved game??? jesus buy the psx version, it's got some awesome scenes in it and a few updated graphics here and there
    Okay, ehm, I'm still not entirely sure, but I'll think I'll go for the PSX version.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Besides having the dialogue and music toned down (i.e., it sucks compared to its SNES counterpart.) The minor, yet still inconvenient, load times are another fault. Just get the rom. (Faris doesn't sound like a retarded pirate for half the story either, so thats a plus.)

Then again, if you must have those fancy FMVs, then go ahead. Maybe if you're getting FFVI as well (since it comes with it, well usually.), you may want to get the Anthology version. But overall, any rom is better.

Also, if you use a ps2 with it, the menu can get glitchy. It doesn't happen all the time though, but it's been known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Omega
    Depending on what system you have, how good it is, and how patient you are, the load times are very annoying. Especially when you go into a ****ing battle and it takes 10 seconds. Or trying to go into a menu. Or switching areas. In the SNES, these were instantaneous, thats why its so annoying to people that played that version first.

If you have a newer ps2, it loads fine though.

Regarding the FMVS, there are only 2 in the game. Not too special. Nice things, but you can do without if the overall quality of the game is better. I'd say it's a good sacrifice. All the FFV Artwork is on the FFVI disc anyway. (Which you have to complete to unlock.)

So..

Good script
    Better music
    Doesn't take 30 seconds to get into a battle or otherwise switch screens

VS.

FMVs.

So yeah, get the rom
    Last edited by Zeromus_X; 03-11-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Default Both

I have both the rom and the PSX version, i must say get the rom, it seems to flow better with no load times.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

My psx version doesn't have any loading times like what you described. It runs perfect. And isn't it FFIV that comes with it in the anthology version?

I would contemplate getting the rom version just to see what all the fuss is about. But i'll just get FFV advance instead
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I heard Europe got FFIV, V, and VI in their Anthology. NA got V and VI with Anthology. (IV and CT were in Chronicles.)Like I said, if you played the SNES version, you'll definitely notice the load times.

PSX. Who cares about load times, those people are just too damn impateint. And FFVI was released seperately in Europe.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was under the impression that the psx version was a straight port without any improved graphics, but two fmvs.

Play the rom. You can save easier and won't get so frustruated at dying 8)

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

No offense, but I think anyone who has been, is, or will, complain about the load times of PSX FF5 is just simply impatient, so what if Its 10 seconds(which is extremely exagerative) just be patient if you're such a diehard fan of FF. I would play PSX version over any other version, why? Because why pull out a nintendo, or download all the software and roms and stuff, when you can sit for 2 second loading times and have a much better controller as well.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    I was under the impression that the psx version was a straight port without any improved graphics, but two fmvs.
    That's pretty much correct. (And it has some "instruments" omitted, toning down the music quite a bit. Especially on FFV.)

FFXIV Character

I'm still not out of it.

In the SNES rom, the script is bad here and there, and in the PSX version, the music and loading times are annoying like hell...

I wish to finish this game in the original (SNES or PSX), so I can see in the GBA version what's new and stuff...

I think I'll go for the SNES after all. And if I ever come to it, the PSX. I'll see.
    *Dreams away thinking of the much-heard-about battle on a big bridge..."

Well, the ROM and PSX games arent that different, the PSX has a minor loading time which is definately over exaggerated by people.
    I say the PSX version, the PS Controller is better than the SNES, Nice FMV's, You get FFV on a TV instead of a Computer Screen.
    The ROM's easier seeing as you can save states but that sucks the fun out IMO. An upside is that its free though.

FFXIV Character

Well, to bad for those who voted PSX, but I already started playing the SNES rom.

The game is quite fun, if I might say, with all those jobs... Had a difficult time with Galura, a bit, but oh, he's dead now. So now I just should go and beat up Liquid Flame...