Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so Bad About X-2?

The real question here is...what is so good about X-2.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default The reason why everyone hates FFX-2

Let us first establish who likes FFX-2; the newer generation, they haven't been exposed to the drama and quality that is the old school. Many of them claim that the graphics burn their eyes out, and many of them are slow compared to the newer games (no, really, they are). But human emotion, drama, makings of a great novel such as character development, plot, storyline; THIS is what we expect from a Final Fantasy. They try to gather in a new generation of FF lovers, from pure smut alone. If you compared FFX-2 to every other game in the world, it would rank pretty high; even its faults elevate it above other games. But it is NOT what one expects of FF.

Unfortunately it worked, and considering SquareEnix's track record, its long time fans aren't going to let go of the series for this crap. We will most certainly complain about it. Was it a mistake top SquareEnix to release this game? Not to its shareholders and those who profit from the game. For its fans, it was a step back from making good games and wanting to tell the good story, to getting money for the sake of temporary fame and loads of money that we will never use. Yeah, people should be compensated for their services, but to make them slaves to the establishment for the promise of money alone, is basically ushering in a new age of slavery and oppression. "Virtual girls don't need rights, because they are objects and property.". That means black people never needed them either in the States.

In comparison to FFX, FFX-2 lacks utterly, and horribly, in many ways. People come in, expecting the same thing from FFX to be in FFX-2, but, no. We are given this crap. If you don't know what you are missing, then how do you know that it is good?

The plotline offers closure for the people that enjoyed FFX. It combines great love stories, and intricate conspiracy to overwhlem the player. A new dungeon is made separate from the game, simply for the sake of challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Celes in FFVI
    I'm an Imperial General, not some love starved twit!
    Indeed. We are not love starved, most of us are. If I wanted to cry, I would watch Field of Dreams. If I were a girl, then I would watch The Notebook.
    We've all seen conspiracy before, what do you call modern politics? And this new dungeon, is a smattering of random giant enemies that do random amounts of damage that are guaranteed to kill you. Hard = challenging, that you have to waste items, time, and strategy. Cheap = automatic kills that get past Ribbon, and are used FREQUENTLY. It would be ok if we should more easily obtain Hero Drinks, then all the status ailments would get us killed on fair ground. But you can only get 4 a game. Gyp.
    FFX-2 destroys any credibility that FFX establishes. The pain that we feel when Tidus disappears and re-appears at the end after the credits, is the emotion we have for the characters not real? No, of course not, because we all know that we don't have to sacrifice anything to get what we want. That most certainly emobodies the lesson of history. (heard of a war, anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by George Patton
    No one ever won a war by dying for his country, they won by making the OTHER guy die for HIS country.
    The battle system is also alienating to most old school gamers (not PSXers, mind you). Speed and button mashing, compared to thought and strategy, and resetting every five minutes because that damned Giant Rat won't die even when you hit it for what seems like 400 times, and lacking mana, and you don't feel like exiting the cave to get more levels. Ok, so FFX had new stuff, and return to the old school Turn based system, but it made it work. FFX-2 does not. And the mumor that FFX-2 is almost straight out of Family Guy, by having long discourses about nothig to do with the plot, or add anything to it. It doesn't work for FFX-2 either!

Also the plot wasn't all that great. Any symbolism that went deeper than "look at us, we are sluts!" was already present in FFX, which was better anyways. Many of the nonsensical plotholes stuck out, and makes you wonder, "why do them"?

My brain is fried right now trying to get all the anger out of my system for even thinking of defending this steaming pile of crap. I'll finish with any new points that come up in this thread later. If you didn't like sopme of the language I used, I apologize. I had to restrain myself from typing out what I really wanted to say. I was afraid of the BAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Rikku
    Plus as it was a sequel it was always gonna get some stick for not being FFX (sequels always get stick)!
    What about Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? FFX-2 wasn't the first sequel ever made by Square, despite the many people I know that say it. And I don't EVER recall hearing any stick from Cross compared to Trigger, unless a friend was complaining about the same thing that was in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel
    Let us first establish who likes FFX-2; the newer generation, they haven't been exposed to the drama and quality that is the old school. Many of them claim that the graphics burn their eyes out, and many of them are slow compared to the newer games (no, really, they are). But human emotion, drama, makings of a great novel such as character development, plot, storyline; THIS is what we expect from a Final Fantasy. They try to gather in a new generation of FF lovers, from pure smut alone. If you compared FFX-2 to every other game in the world, it would rank pretty high; even its faults elevate it above other games. But it is NOT what one expects of FF.

Unfortunately it worked, and considering SquareEnix's track record, its long time fans aren't going to let go of the series for this crap. We will most certainly complain about it. Was it a mistake top SquareEnix to release this game? Not to its shareholders and those who profit from the game. For its fans, it was a step back from making good games and wanting to tell the good story, to getting money for the sake of temporary fame and loads of money that we will never use. Yeah, people should be compensated for their services, but to make them slaves to the establishment for the promise of money alone, is basically ushering in a new age of slavery and oppression. "Virtual girls don't need rights, because they are objects and property.". That means black people never needed them either in the States.

In comparison to FFX, FFX-2 lacks utterly, and horribly, in many ways. People come in, expecting the same thing from FFX to be in FFX-2, but, no. We are given this crap. If you don't know what you are missing, then how do you know that it is good?

The plotline offers closure for the people that enjoyed FFX. It combines great love stories, and intricate conspiracy to overwhlem the player. A new dungeon is made separate from the game, simply for the sake of challenge.

Indeed. We are not love starved, most of us are. If I wanted to cry, I would watch Field of Dreams. If I were a girl, then I would watch The Notebook.
    We've all seen conspiracy before, what do you call modern politics? And this new dungeon, is a smattering of random giant enemies that do random amounts of damage that are guaranteed to kill you. Hard = challenging, that you have to waste items, time, and strategy. Cheap = automatic kills that get past Ribbon, and are used FREQUENTLY. It would be ok if we should more easily obtain Hero Drinks, then all the status ailments would get us killed on fair ground. But you can only get 4 a game. Gyp.
    FFX-2 destroys any credibility that FFX establishes. The pain that we feel when Tidus disappears and re-appears at the end after the credits, is the emotion we have for the characters not real? No, of course not, because we all know that we don't have to sacrifice anything to get what we want. That most certainly emobodies the lesson of history. (heard of a war, anyone?)

No one ever won a war by dying for his country, they won by making the OTHER guy die for HIS country.
    The battle system is also alienating to most old school gamers (not PSXers, mind you). Speed and button mashing, compared to thought and strategy, and resetting every five minutes because that damned Giant Rat won't die even when you hit it for what seems like 400 times, and lacking mana, and you don't feel like exiting the cave to get more levels. Ok, so FFX had new stuff, and return to the old school Turn based system, but it made it work. FFX-2 does not. And the mumor that FFX-2 is almost straight out of Family Guy, by having long discourses about nothig to do with the plot, or add anything to it. It doesn't work for FFX-2 either!

Also the plot wasn't all that great. Any symbolism that went deeper than "look at us, we are sluts!" was already present in FFX, which was better anyways. Many of the nonsensical plotholes stuck out, and makes you wonder, "why do them"?

My brain is fried right now trying to get all the anger out of my system for even thinking of defending this steaming pile of crap. I'll finish with any new points that come up in this thread later. If you didn't like sopme of the language I used, I apologize. I had to restrain myself from typing out what I really wanted to say. I was afraid of the BAN.

Plus as it was a sequel it was always gonna get some stick for not being FFX (sequels always get stick)!
    What about Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? FFX-2 wasn't the first sequel ever made by Square, despite the many people I know that say it. And I don't EVER recall hearing any stick from Cross compared to Trigger, unless a friend was complaining about the same thing that was in both.
    *nods yes*exactly

The whole you are evil thing just got old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel

I give you a standing ovation for saying that in words I could never come up with

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I would add more about Rikku and Yuna becoming prostitues, and how Rikku is now the dumb blonde every good sex appeal game needs but it has been said before. No need to add except this little addition...

Wait!? What's that? Rikku says:

Quote Originally Posted by Rikku, at the Clam Lands Travel Agency, after Tidus tells her to come up with a plan to save Yuna
    This is a toughie!
    Yeah, she's still dumb. Wait a minute...
    Wasn't she trying to challenge a 1000 year old belief, that seemingly had no way out, and WITHOUT Tidus and Auron's knowledge of Sin and Jecht, and how everything works? AND she's trying to save her cousin, who I'm convinced she cared about? Yeah, she was ALWAYS dumb...

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Tavrobel got it all right, except for the fact FF5 had a sequel...it was loosely connected, about 2 kids protecting the last crystal (wind) because the rest had been stolen...it was an anime cartoon, and the first true FF direct sequel.

Nothing IMO, the theme was a bit ...... you know. But I liked the change of pace.

The answer to why do them is simple they are sluts. But I love you man.
    Originally Posted by Rikku, at the Clam Lands Travel Agency, after Tidus tells her to come up with a plan to save Yuna:
    This is a toughie!

Yeah, she's still dumb. Wait a minute...
    Wasn't she trying to challenge a 1000 year old belief, that seemingly had no way out, and WITHOUT Tidus and Auron's knowledge of Sin and Jecht, and how everything works? AND she's trying to save her cousin, who I'm convinced she cared about? Yeah, she was ALWAYS dumb...
    Tavrovel my man.

It failed to live up to the standards it was given.

Thus, Not many people like it.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

the only thing I have a problem about in this game is Leblanc, Logos and Ormi.

other then that, this game is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa
    the only thing I have a problem about in this game is Leblanc, Logos and Ormi.

other then that, this game is awesome.
    My thoughts exactly.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

setzer:it would have been weird for it to be two girls and a guy cuz he wouldve seemed girly
    the last bosses arent hard when you spam darkness and curaga but if you use the techniques that arent meant to go crazy like charon i bet you wont think theyre easy then
    it's yuna's story next your gonna say sora needs to back off let donald have a life

^ Sorry, but even thought somebody went and tried to explain what this meant, I still don't get it. o.O

~Setzer Gabianni

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

I miss kinje longaway :[ Eiko Guy's Avatar

+corncracker : if you say you bought a FF becase your friend says it was cool thats final fantasy felony man -( see that you made him sad only the fist time is ok

Tavrobel: i know fighting omega and ultima weapon from VIII and he went into a pattern no curaga or anything like that yet he's in the boss hall of fame, Paine is a girl and very feminine why else would she play dress up.the new generation plays old games like me i'm 14 and i played 1,2,6,8,9,10,10-2 the new games are better they show emotion and pain because kids don't just buy final fantasy the buy it if it has high scores so they put emotion into it so the real critics will give it a good score and someone new will try to play it. paine is made to be mysterious and rikku and yuna have already been developed so why do it again.whoa im black you cant say something like that you cant compare a living breathing black person to a pixilated girl.i just got the real reason why people hate x-2 it's because it's not as good as ten but its not as good as ten because youre expecting it to be just like it and that is hard to make a good game just like another without mimicing it and fanboys calling it a waste of money. the dungeon is hard because its optional if they wanted to have another easy dungeon with weak monsters they could have but that would have sucked anus the 4 hero drink limit is meant to make a challenge dont want to breeze through it or it'll be too easy the extra plot is the most important plot it's supposed to show you that spira is moving on after sin is gone and how they are trying to get it back together. of course you can feel a girls pain when she loses him but not when she cant get him back

sorry setzer i meant 2 girls and a guy would have been kinda weird cuz he be playing dress up come on. the last bosses are as hard as you want them to be with cry in the night and darkness used over and iver you could kill setzer and kefka ( setzer first cuz he sux) i just dont like him anyway rikku and yuna are not sluts would sluts have hentai on them no they would get paid for the real thing

Fat kids are harder to Kidnap.

Blog Entries

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with X-2, it is the best game ever.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by eiko guy
    Tavrobel: i know fighting omega and ultima weapon from VIII and he went into a pattern no curaga or anything like that yet he's in the boss hall of fame, Paine is a girl and very feminine why else would she play dress up.the new generation plays old games like me i'm 14 and i played 1,2,6,8,9,10,10-2 the new games are better they show emotion and pain because kids don't just buy final fantasy the buy it if it has high scores so they put emotion into it so the real critics will give it a good score and someone new will try to play it. paine is made to be mysterious and rikku and yuna have already been developed so why do it again.whoa im black you cant say something like that you cant compare a living breathing black person to a pixilated girl.i just got the real reason why people hate x-2 it's because it's not as good as ten but its not as good as ten because youre expecting it to be just like it and that is hard to make a good game just like another without mimicing it and fanboys calling it a waste of money. the dungeon is hard because its optional if they wanted to have another easy dungeon with weak monsters they could have but that would have sucked anus the 4 hero drink limit is meant to make a challenge dont want to breeze through it or it'll be too easy the extra plot is the most important plot it's supposed to show you that spira is moving on after sin is gone and how they are trying to get it back together. of course you can feel a girls pain when she loses him but not when she cant get him back
    I don't consider Omega and Ultima to be in the hall of fame at all. The battle was painfully easy. If it is predictable, then at least be a challenge, not random damages that automatically kill your characters without a second thought. It's ok if it does 9999+, as long as it is consistent, in some form or fashion. If it meganukes the attack every turn, that's alright, as long as there is a way to survive at least one of the attacks. (Yunalesca's Mega-Death; used often, but being a zombie stops it, and technically, it should heal you, but FFX doesn't need that thorn sticking out).
    And yeah, I can say slaves are like pixilated characters, because at one point, they were considered property, not people. If I wanted to relate real, live, breathing black people now, I would have said so (and gotten shot by my friend in the process).
    And as I said, FFX-2 is good if you compare it to everything else, but to the other FFs, it does not stand a chance. It not need mimic, but whatever you put into it, it must work. FFX-2 has many elements that make it great... unfortunately, these qualities don't work together to make a greater, more cohesive game. It's just like a chemical formula without heat, electricity, a catalyst, etc...
    As for the Hero Drink, one could add a monster that had a 1/256 drop rate. No one said they had to be completely unlimited, just hard to obtain, rather than have them as a missable one time item. (You can't even use them in the same game as you acquire them).
    The last point about Yuna's pain, is that she can get Tidus back. This most certainly follows the path of history of flawless victories 100% of the time. So, uhh, Waterloo... great day for Napoleon. He won EVERYTHING he wanted, with minimal loss. Wait, he lost something (soldiers); that completely disproves my last paragraph. Every victory is a loss, and every loss is an uber unfun pain.
    The plot itself is not a nuisance (I enjoy the whole idea that Yuna is trying to fix a planet that has no idea what to do, what they are used to and lived with is now gone, a constant has gone missing, and they are trying to rebuild). It's not the story, it's the process in which it proceeded. Paine just copies Charlie's Angels, so I don't REALLY have a problem with that, but it can get... rather annoying.
    The original intent of MAKING FF, was to convey emotion, and to survive. What we have here, is another case of going mad with power, depending on your loyal fans to support you, and using pop culture to attract new players with perverted, and soft-core-esque plotlines. You say yourself, that emotion is the main point of the story. Besides moping around "ohh, I can't live without Tidus", she could try doing something about it without other incentive, or moving on, rather than staying stuck on the same process over and over. Every victory has a loss; it's a fact of life.