Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so Bad About X-2?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I couldn't find a way to efit out the FFVI part and just put in "any old school FF game", because for some reason, I don't have PAINT on my computer.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's so bad about Final Fantasy X-2?
    Just look at the pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And yet what they are wearing is probably more conservative than what women wear in 80% of all games that come out of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Devourer Of Worlds
    And yet what they are wearing is probably more conservative than what women wear in 80% of all games that come out of Japan.
    And in America its much less conservative

I think that some people had a problem with the somewhat girlie, "Charlie's Angels" vibe of the game, but doing so completely overlooks the happygolucky nature of the game.

I've been playing the series since it first came out in North America in 1990, and the one thing it has always had was overwhelmingly serious undertones. There was always some big bad something or other threatening the world, and all of the characters took this threat so earnestly.

FFX-2 almost felt like satire, and a way to poke fun of Final Fantasy. It's like the developers said, "Yeah, we know we've been a bit too serious in the past, so let's have some fun now." That in mind, I found FFX-2 to be the most refreshing installment in the entire series.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I was against the idea of FFX-2 from the beginning. I absolutely loved FFX's ending. It bums me out that people need to have a happy ending to every story. That's exactly what FFX-2 was--a happy ending to a story that didn't need one.

Even if I hadn't been so against FFX-2 in the first place simply because I knew it was going to ruin FFX's wonderful ending, I still would have disliked the game, mostly for reasons that have already been mentioned: shoddy dialog, annoying characters, recycled maps, and a shallow excuse for a plot.

Granted, the gameplay itself was fun. I enjoyed the battle system even if it leaned towards button mashing. However, I play RPGs in hopes of a good plot. There's plenty of other options if I want a mindless game that's just fun to play. Obviously, FFX-2's weak plotline ruined it for me.

I try to understand what people enjoy about FFX-2. It seems, though, that almost everything they point out as a good thing in the game, I dislike. I chalk it up to vastly different tastes.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The main reasons I don't like it is that it's an actual sequel to an FF game, which is a big broken tradition. (But with most of the original developers gone, isn't such a surprise..) Oh well...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch!
    It bums me out that people need to have a happy ending to every story.
    Please be so kind as to explain how FFVII's, the most popular game in the series, ending was happy?

It was fun, but it should of never been made. FFX, in my opinion, ended perfectly, better than any of the others...then FFX-2's "good" ending comes along and pretty much...destroys all emotional impact FFX's ending had on me beforehand.

Sure, I love the game, but my main beefs with it were:

- Severe lack of challenge.
    - The music in general.
    - The complete failure to use any of the dresspheres to their full potential because of the lack of challenge.
    - The lack of story depth.
    - The unholy raping of the best ff minigame to date, blitzball.
    - The way the percentage system is cool but nearly impossible to complete without a guide of some sort.

I really liked some things about it. I liked the percentage system and how so many different things can happen and not happen, multiple paths, ect. I loved the battle system to death...the best battle system in the series as far as I'm concerned. If nothing else was memorable in the game, the battle system was. I liked the multiple endings, though I thought it was stupid how pressing x at the right time in the middle of the game determined which one you got/didn't get. I really, really loved how there were alot of refferences to the older FF games in it (i.e, Yuna's Gun Mage victory pose ), and I loved the transformations and how much time was put into each different outfit. The single worst thing about the game to me would have to be how blatantly LAZY they were in alot of areas. Ninety percent of the monsters are just recycled models from FFX, including alot of bosses. Some bosses seemed to be thrown in there pointlessly just to reuse old ones (particularly, when you first get into the Bevelle underground with the Leblanc Syndicate), and some were just renamed with their colors changed. Alot of FFX bosses were just reused as normal enemies (i.e the Omega Weapon) and didn't even have their name changed and STILL had their full long boss death, and all the bosses in the Via Infinito, save the last one, were done in this fashion.

I say X-2 is a good game, and superior to the other FFs in it's own areas, but it definitely has it's (big) flaws and I still would of rather had it not been made. None the less my time on it is higher than any other game I've ever played, which says something to me.
    Last edited by DMKA; 03-18-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

It's a STUPID discussion of whether you want a sad stupid UNFINISHED ending with no closure at all??? Or whether you preffer an ending with CLOSURE and so happyness AROUND it.

ONe sentence STAYS true to EVERY FF, they didn't make it for you.

As much as I hate FFVII, they didn't make it for me, so so be it.

PS: I preffer closure in EVERY damn game I play

As far as RPGs go X-2 Failed.

As far as X-2 being in another category It might have been a good game.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

Hey listen all! God has bestoyed his words upon us.

Stop acting as if you're the final word

I can easily do the same and say: As far as RPGs go Final Fantasy X-2 kicked major ass and refreshed the genre in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom

Hey listen all! God has bestoyed his words upon us.

Stop acting as if you're the final word

I can easily do the same and say: As far as RPGs go Final Fantasy X-2 kicked major ass and refreshed the genre in a good way

I'm not acting as the final word, I'm saying what I think of the game.
    If I were acting as the final word I probably would have said my views and then said "Thats it period".

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

The story sucked, and the battle system sucked, there could of been alot more characters and could of been a bigger game. DK, if you're going to argue at least argue about something you know you're talking about not some final word of god or something, this is why FFX-2 is bad, not some religious thing that has nothing to do with the topic, I only liked this game for obvious reasons .

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Maybe if they had entered X-2 in some other category of gaming people may have appreciated more, or not.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch!
    It bums me out that people need to have a happy ending to every story.
    Please be so kind as to explain how FFVII's, the most popular game in the series, ending was happy?
    Advent Children anyone?

Besides, saying that people need to have a happy ending to every story doesn't mean that they always get one. In this case, they did.