Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fran and Balthier?

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Are they romantically involved? I've read in several places that they are "partners", but I was wondering what exactly the nature of their partnership is. I do hope they're together; they look good together.
    after play the game, from the FMV in the end that Fran protect Balflier from the piller( i think that is piller) when Balflier repair the Bahamut fortress(after that still got some dialog), we can know that their relationship not only is partners....

(SPOILER)Vaan/Basch/Rex. Gay Triangle. Larsa and that Banga girl in Nalbina seems to have a relationship. All of this is fact, Sakaguchi claimed it.

Oh no, this can't be true!

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

Quote Originally Posted by vivi_ultima View Post
    (SPOILER)Vaan/Basch/Rex. Gay Triangle. Larsa and that Banga girl in Nalbina seems to have a relationship. All of this is fact, Sakaguchi claimed it.

Oh no, this can't be true!
    *rolling on the floor laughing*

Hey, that's not nice to joke about it. We had a seriously serious and importantly important debate here

vivi_ultima, Larsa and (SPOILER)that Bangaa girl? I don't think I'll ever recover from the shock

Haahaahaa, all the spoilers' been removed. Whaddya know...

Hmmm regarding the A-B-F love triangle, do you actually think Ashe will be attracted to Balthier? I dunno, Balthier looks a lil metrosexual-like and Ashe looks the type who prefers a more manly character.

I think a Ashe-Vaan-Penelo triangle is more probable.

Oooo I wonder what love triangles lead to in the story.

p.s. I didn't get to read the spoilers so hope you don't mind if I seem to be saying that contradicts the fact.
    Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobo_Knight View Post
    Haahaahaa, all the spoilers' been removed. Whaddya know...

Hmmm regarding the A-B-F love triangle, do you actually think Ashe will be attracted to Balthier? I dunno, Balthier looks a lil metrosexual-like and Ashe looks the type who prefers a more manly character.

I think a Ashe-Vaan-Penelo triangle is more probable.

Oooo I wonder what love triangles lead to in the story.

p.s. I didn't get to read the spoilers so hope you don't mind if I seem to be saying that contradicts the fact.
    Right.....Balflear looks a little metrosexual, so you'd see Ashe more in a triangle with Vaan......who looks oh so much more manly :riiight:

Is it just me, or do Balflear and Fran remind you of Urahara Kisuke and Shihouin Yoruichi of Bleach? The way that they've been established before you're introduced to the story, the strong friendship, even the look and behavior of them.
    Last edited by marysonnie; 10-03-2006 at 05:35 AM.

Hello! Following a brief hiatus from my posting activities on the EoFF forums, I have returned!!! Woot!

Okay, before I begin, a couple of disclaimers:

1. I don't speak/read Japanese. My knowledge of the dialogue in FFXII comes from (reliable and respectable) fan translations. The translations I have consulted can be found here - the FXII section of GameFAQs. So, in this respect, Aria28 has the upper hand in our debates.

2. I HAVEN'T PLAYED FFXII. However, I have viewed all of the cutscenes in the game. Details here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aria28 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by al-bhed_kid0827 View Post
    Is there really a Fran/Balthier/Ashe love triangle?
    Hmmm, well, one thing for sure is that (SPOILER)there is no sense of competition at any point between Fran and Ashe, so it's not formally a love triangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby
    ...Except for when (SPOILER)Fran asks Balthier what it's like to have a "second woman" (which implicitly implies that she is his woman, to begin with) - an obvious reference to Ashe. This elicits an irritable "baka!" ("fool", if you don't know) from Balthier, as though the mere suggestion that he could love any woman other than Fran is preposterous.

I also detected some hostility towards Ashe, coming from Fran, in several scenes.
    Well, like I said, I think that it is more about (SPOILER)what we want to read into their relationships than about what there is clearly there. It will be interesting to see what the translation will be like (i.e. if there is something clearer in that respect) and what people who haven't played it yet will make of it.....

Oh, and could you give me the sentence in Japanese re: what Fran says? Because I don't ever remember her telling quite that (although I remember the one from Balflear - hard to forget *g*) - now of course, my Japanese isn't perfect and I may have misunderstood it - would be easier to understand if I have it written.

EDIT: Found that sentence again! You mean (SPOILER) once they both are back in the Bahamut Fortress to repair it and after debris have fallen, right? She says "Nimaime wa taihen ne, Barafurea" - which you could translate into: "It's hard to be a playboy, isn't it, Balflear?" (she doesn't say "second woman", if that's the sentence you were referring to - I imagine it's the "ni" of "nimaime", which alone reads as "two", that could make think that. "Nimaime" is a term used for an actor who plays love interest in a story, i.e. a handsome man, if I'm not mistaking). To which he replies "Baka" - "Idiot". Btw, baka can be an endearing term to say "idiot" (Penelo uses it with Vaan a lot), especially the way he says it: he's not revolted by what she says, LOL To me, she sounds everything but jealous, actually, she's clearly teasing him, and he's not irritated, but amused. Just watch the scene again - maybe you hadn't seen it in a long time? I know I needed to refresh my memory as well, LOL

Now of course, you could certainly interpret things in your way, with her hitting at the fact that Ashe fancies/loves/is infatuated with/whatever him, to which he replies Baka to say "Idiot, it's only you I love". But you'll have to admit, it's only one possibility, i.e. he doesn't actually say that, it just may be implied. The first time I saw this scene, I was more under the impression he was saying "baka" because she's saying such a thing in the difficult position they are in, which is pretty funny. But then that's also only an interpretation.

Hence my opinion that (SPOILER)things are only hinted at in this game, and that room is left for interpretation. It's not about being right or wrong, but about perceiving things a certain way.
    See Disclaimer #1. I'm not going to dispute what you have said, and am not qualified to argue this further. The (SPOILER)"second woman" line came from one of the aforementioned fan transcripts. Either you or the translator may be right.... *shrugs* How would I know? We'll just have to wait and see what the official English translation of Fran's line will be.... Either way, I feel sure that she was referring to Ashe...and in, what I perceived as, a jealous (though well-disguised) tone of voice....

Quote Originally Posted by Aria28
    ...but he [Balthier] (SPOILER)understands better than anybody else what really is going on, and where Ashe's feelings are leading her if she keeps being "tied to her past". He does understand that, she has to "see the light" before it's too late and all hell breaks loose, not just for herself, but for everyone involved.
    ...I think that (SPOILER)Vaan displays an equally good, if not better, understanding of what Ashe is going through. He always notices, and points out to the others, when Ashe is seeing "him" (Rasler). Vaan, of course, also suffered a bereavement in the recent past; his grief enables him to empathize with Ashe. I do not think that Balthier's understanding of Ashe is any greater than Vaan's is. But, whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by Aria28
    (SPOILER)...to say she's her love interest in the game would be too much of a stretch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby
    Huh?! "She's her love interest"...?!
    *sigh* Read me again, you'll see that I'm saying that you definitely cannot say that she is his love interest during the game.
    My confusion was owing to your use of the word "her", where, I now realize, you meant to write "his".

...English isn't your native language, is it?

Perhaps the sequel to FFXII - Revenant Wings - which stars both Balthier and Fran, will give us further insight into their relationship.... *prays*

Welcome back Scooby!

Hey, Revenant Wings may just. At any rate, it will be interesting to see where the authors of the game want to take all the characters, and especially those two

And no, English isn't my native language, but I usually don't leave such stupid mistakes - sorry about that, urgh :rolleyes2 . I can only say to my defense that I was writing those at around 2 AM, and that at that hour, my attention span is greatly shortened.

Oh, and I just meant also to say - there are hints in favor of (SPOILER)Balflear and Fran, definitely. It's just that I don't think you can tell for sure, but that's just an opinion and yours is perfectly valid as well. It's more that I didn't agree with some of the arguments you pointed out, but I don't disagree with your opinion necessarily (whew, I hope I said that one right! LOL )

For the Japanese bit - I've asked a japanese friend to confirm the translation I've posted (Japanese isn't my native language either, and, even if I understand my way around, I certainly had to look up in a dictionary for that one!), and the fan transcripts I've checked mentioned something similar, but like you said, we'll know more when we get the English version (barely two more weeks to wait, yeah!), and they may actually decide to make relations clearer between characters as well by using different words and/or tone of voice

I can't wait for us to get the English version so that we can talk about this further - but whatever the outcome, I must warn you (SPOILER)I may remain a Balflear/Ashe shipper in my fanfics please don't hit me
    Last edited by Aria28; 10-11-2006 at 09:46 AM.

Sadly, I don't see why some people dislike Fran... Today there are too many people uptight and walk around like they know everything and everything should be perfect...

My friend is Racist..... (even in games)................( which is sad )

sup
    don't double post
    use the edit button
    live long and prosper

kikimm

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbosoul View Post
    Sadly, I don't see why some people dislike Fran... Today there are too many people uptight and walk around like they know everything and everything should be perfect...

sup
    don't double post
    use the edit button
    live long and prosper

kikimm
    No one dislike Fran.

sup
    don't double post
    use the edit button
    live long and prosper

kikimm
    Well,your "friend" is the only person i've ever seen who hates Fran (or any other character) because of their skin.

Besides,Fran is considered very light-skinned by Viera standards.

I know qute alot of people that hate Fran

Huh. I knew a couple people weren't too keen on Fran, but hate is a bit strong. I heard the designer actually wanted her cuteness emphasized. I think she's fabulous; from the very beginning, her and Balflear's designs impressed me the most.

I know qute alot of people that hate Fran
    Maybe because of Fran is the only non-hume in the main party (What about Larsa's lover, you know....that bangaa girl?).

Fran is perfect, 'wonderfuller' than any of the main character (Yes, even Ashe). It's just that I never use her in battle (You must use her at the beginning). My Fran, Balthier and Penelo level is 13!!!! While the others have gone to 50.

Fran's story was the most touching. :kaocry2:

I haven't played the game, so I wouldn't know