Thread: Curious About Chain of Memories...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default Curious About Chain of Memories...

I'm playing Chain of Memories now, and I just got done beating Hades in Olympus (I got to the second floor and that's the first world I decided to go to), and I'm curious...is this game significant to the storyline? I mean so far there's been a couple people who weren't in KH and I already know are in KHII, such as Axel, but like, for those who haven't played it and go straight to KHII, is there going to be a disruption in the storyline, or is this game just a sorta little bonus thing? Because it seems like it's just what happened in Kingdom Hearts happening over again at this point.

Don't get me wrong though, it is fun.
    I like Kung-Fu.

From what I can tell, CoM is going to be extremely important to the storyline of KHII, so it would probably be a good idea to finish it before you start Kingdom Hearts II.

If you think Chain of Memories is fun now, wait until you get to Reverse/Rebirth mode. It is AWESOME!
    "I'll get you, Eh! Steve, if it's the last thing I do!!!!!"
    -The Wheelchair

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: Yes, very. Besides being an enjoyable experience, many characters from there will be in Kh2. It also tells you a little about their backgrounds as well.

Rubedo: I say that you should get it. Besides feeling like you haven't missed anything, it's just a great, unique game.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

It is not a must play. It just connects the events between KH I and KH II. Sure you are introduced to the Organization and such, but I believe there is not much going on plot wise. Anyways if anyone who did not play CoM they can always go and read the summary in Wikipedia or something.

I played CoM and I am at Atlantica now, I think I have like one or two more worlds left to beat as Sora. I have no experienced much for plot elements though, besides that which fuels the game, but nothing too significant for the overall feel of the series.

i just finished the game sunday..MAN WAS REVERSE/REBIRTH FUN!!! well erm anyways...there could be a small chance that they would include the characters that we already defeated..and they might know who they are if they didnt play it...

i also havent been postin because my internet was down for about a week actaully and just it back today and my BRO REMOVED MY HARDDRIVE FROM MY FAST COMP >

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan
    I played CoM and I am at Atlantica now, I think I have like one or two more worlds left to beat as Sora. I have no experienced much for plot elements though, besides that which fuels the game, but nothing too significant for the overall feel of the series.
    You won't find any of the really serious plot elements until somewhere in the middle of Reverse/Rebirth mode. Sora's quest is pretty much rehash from KH1.
    -The Wheelchair

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

It is not a must play. It just connects the events between KH I and KH II. Sure you are introduced to the Organization and such, but I believe there is not much going on plot wise. Anyways if anyone who did not play CoM they can always go and read the summary in Wikipedia or something.

*Minor KH CoM spoilers!*

The really dramatic parts start when you've finished all KH's worlds and start to enter worlds like Destiny Islands and the Twilight Town. Then the story really starts to develop quickly, and it gets very touching (And the bosses get annoyingly hard.) all the way until Sora's quest ends. As for Riku's quest, I still haven't finished that one, but it seems to be pretty good. Disney worlds won't really have stories in his quest (you'll just go through them and beat bosses), but the events between each floor seem to develop his character quite well.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

No, you had several more worlds to go.

The important story elements of CoM don't really come into play until the last few worlds of Sora's story and most of Riku's story. Sora's story is a tad boring at first, because not much happens at first that didn't happen in KH. There is a scene at the end of each floor that's important to the story, but the real meat of Sora's story doesn't take place until the last three floors. Riku's story is very interesting, seeing him struggle with himself and finding out various things along the way that are very interesting to the overall story. CoM has three important overall points, two of which are more than likely important to KHII. 1) This story not only introduces the Organization XIII but also introduces what they want and what they are planning, but KHII will probably go into that much much more. 2) Riku's story, which will show a lot of rather interesting things. 3) Namine. This game is really about Namine, and her various powers and who (and what) she really is, which will be important to KHII.

It's worth playing through Sora's story to see the ending of it, the last boss is rather challenging. And also so that you can play through Riku's story.

FFXIV Character

Ok, I have another question, this time about the battle system...because I don't quite understand it...

See, I'm currently in (SPOILER)Twilight Town fighting (SPOILER)Vixen and for some reason after a certain point I only have like one or two, or no cards left when I reload the deck, then I just die. Is this something he's doing to me or am I doing something I shouldn't be?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Are you doing a lot of sleights? If you are, you might remember that doing a sleight removes the first card you used in that sleight from your deck when you reload it. And if you are just using a lot of sleights, then your deck with wither down to nothing.

For boss fights, I would suggest keeping the sleights to a minimum, because you don't know how long you are going to be fighting. It's semi-easy to calculate with the heartless, but it's unpredictable with the bosses. If you want to use sleights a lot, which can be helpful, you should have the potions in your deck that say "quickload all ____ cards with no charge time" instead of the ones that say "quickload available ____ cards with no charge time." For example, a Potion card will quickload only the attack cards that are available to load, i.e. not the cards taken away by using a sleight. A Hi-Potion however will quickload all the attack cards that you have in your deck, including the ones you have used in a sleight. And for Vexen, you might want to keep the magic down to just fire spells, cure spells and Cloud cards. Vexen is weak against fire.
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 03-23-2006 at 07:29 PM.

FFXIV Character

Ah ok. I wasn't aware that the first card was lost when you use sleights.
    I like Kung-Fu.

If you do use a lot of sleights, make sure that the first one you select is a low value card that you wouldn't mind losing.
    -The Wheelchair