Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stop whining!

Default Stop whining!

Here's the facts, FFIX seems to get ALOT of crap put on it by people, they purposely post hate threads, our most recent thread is "I felt so dirty" by Cipher, he gave no real valid point in his first post, the other FFIX haters came in and started actually giving reasons, all of which were irrelevent. We should go through it all here. First FFIX is a reference/tribute post for all previous Final Fantasies, references can be found all over the place. Prince Puck attacked by Antlion, similar to Prince Edward attacked by Antlion in FFIV, you run a sidequest in Madain Sari, that tells you Garnet's birth name is Sarah, there is a Princess Sarah/Sara in FFI and FFIII. A Buster Sword in Lindblum does what Zidane comment about it sound familiar FFVII fans? Next, FFIX is ripped on by its characters.

Hater's Opinions

Zidane- a horny pimp monkey

Garnet- Eyecandy

Vivi- dumb kid

Steiner- a bumbling idiot

Eiko- Stupid brat

Quina- stupid and unnecessary

Freya- Sad

Armarant- Stupid personality

True Fact

Zidane- personality of a breathing male, who would have thought?

Garnet- Magic-based, troubling past, adds to story, personality of a diginfied lady, the main male character actually has to earn her love, not the other way around. For those of you who call her eye-candy, we're oh so sorry Square managed to create a girl hotter than Tifa without Tifa's breast.

Vivi- Overrated, questions existence but that's because he's worried about death, everyone worries about death.

Steiner- His loyality blinds his intellienge, c' mon he's been a knight a long time, the "I am only to follow my orders" kicks in after a while.

Eiko- Bratty, yes, most 6-year olds are.

Quina- Appearence is a reference to Gogo, personality doesn't develop, so what? S/he's actually optional, if you can find Fossil Roo by yourself.

Freya- You'd be sad too if your lover doesn't remember your name.

Armarant- Wow, someone in the game with a personality similar to Cloud and you don't like it. You just can't please people.

Now let's compare to FFVII and FFVIII, keep in mind, this doesn't mean we don't like FFVII and FFVIII, these are the things we don't like. Zidane acts like a normal single teenage male, as opposed to Cloud and Squall who act like males if males had periods. FFIX is regarded as linear, it's "GET KUJA!", excuse me, FFVII "GET SEPHIROTH!" c'mon people, FFVII and FFVIII are just as linear as FFIX. Garnet is eye-candy? Hello? People HELLO? Garnet has a lot more to offer than looks, 1) she's magic-based, 2) she has a troubling past that adds to the story, 3) her personality in secret she's full of doubt about herself and Zidane has to teach her self-esteem, 4) her lady personality vs. Zidane's male personality makes a beliveable love story, as opposed Tifa and Rinoa, please FFIX haters, tell us where Tifa or Rinoa have ever gone Lara Croft. The love story is believable because it's a guy hitting on a girl, as opposed to a girl hitting on a guy, the guy's personality changes to love her, but the girl really doesn't develop at all. And that's where the endings compare, we've seen FFIX haters say, "Yeah, Zidane banged Garnet and left her." Sorry, we both have a hard time believing that and if you think that's true, then we have the right to say, "Yeah, Cloud banged Tifa, and Tifa left him." or "Yeah, Squall banged Rinoa, and Rinoa left him for Sefier, then Sefier banged Rinoa, and Rinoa left him." For the love of Bahamut, Zidane & Garnet's story is alot more complicated than you FFIX haters make it out to be. Zidane's liking to Garnet is first in her looks[/fact] Zidane develops better feelings for Garnet actually getting to know her he falls in love with her for who she is truely, through their talks together and rescues together, and some reason the minor spats that go on continue to develop feelings more[/another fact] Zidane is also badly emotionally destroyed by the true of his birth, and his reason(according to Garland) for existence, Garnet is there to save as he has saved her in the past and help him through his personal crisis as he helps her through hers, giving him more developed feelings for her[/omg, yet another fact, there might actually be something to the Zidane & Garnet relationship]. Garnet is annoyed a tad by Zidane's corny jokes but is consistly moved by his want to help her for no reason, disc 2, Garnet in her mind misses Zidane, this lets her know she's in trouble, why? Since the day, because she has feared the idea of falling in love since the day Brahne ordered her horn be cut off. Let's face it, providing she fell in love with Zidane, Brahne would never let Zidane near Garnet due to his job, thief. A noblewoman and a commoner isn't this similar to her favorite story by Lord Avon? Brahne's death allows Garnet a blessing and curse because she couldn't just say she's developed feelings for Zidane, out of his want to help her through her crisis's. Something finally gives on Disc 3, maybe it was the fact that the castle was about to be destroyed and they believed it was about to be the end for them, maybe it was that this third rescue by Zidane confirmed to Garnet that he truly loves her, maybe it was I don't care anymore what people think, but the embrace that reveals the truth about how they feel about each other finally happens. By working together, they both developed feeling for each other which typical of developing a relationship, there's truely no real explanation for how true love is discovered. It's a one thing lead to other deal, where a new friendship by chance evolved into passionate relationship. And folks, just because we just completely dennounced the "Yeah, Zidane banged Garnet and left her." theory, doesn't mean Zidane & Garnet never have sex, no, it would be a natural thing for them to lose virginities to each other(YES, WE SAID THEY LOSE VIRGINITIES TO EACH OTHER as in Zidane is Garnet's first, Garnet is Zidane's first), married. Now to compare with FFVII and FFVIII, Cloud & Squall have Tifa & Rinoa hitting on them, since when do girls hit on guys? We see no change in Tifa's nor Rinoa's personalities at all. It's a technological era in these games too, in FFIX, omg, women who want to be treated with diginity and respect. And there's a difference between Garnet and Tifa & Rinoa, Garnet is naive, Tifa & Rinoa are naive and stupid. Garnet is smart enough to have a teammate, the only person in the party who wants her to return to Alexandria, Steiner to come along, where Rinoa walks up to Edea alone all nervous because hopefully she just realized how stupid her idea is, if the item she going to use on Edea actually worked, why wouldn't anyone else have tried it already? Rinoa launches a dog out of her arm, it looks like the dog's sticking his ass in Rinoa's face. And speaking of Limit Breaks, Omnislash and Lionheart made FFVII and FFVIII unbelievable easy, you could kill Sephiroth in like 2 rounds. Where Trance doesn't give Zidane a move that does 20 slashes of 9999 damage, omg, what a concept a game that reverts back to actually being challenging. The battle system sucks? The battle system is meant for people who bought Final Fantasy before spiky-haired PMSer was on the cover. The game is linear? What's your point? All Final Fantasies are linear. Only bad point is the amount of time at the end, it's like a year to most, well, we believe Square slipped here, with how deep Zidane & Garnet's love is, it wouldn't have taken a year for him to reunite with her, better move, a month, Garnet's hair still growing back or stay short, and no Vivi kids(because that makes no sense anyway), because it would still take a while for Zidane to reunite with Garnet, considering there's one way back to Mist Continent, the boat in Madain Sari, because the Outer Continent's opening of Fossil Roo stays closed, but that's how we feel the story should go. FFIX haters, please free to try to dennounce what we have said here. We'll just keep bouncing back by dennouncing you back with facts; otherwise, get out of this thread and get out of this forum.

--Zidane & Garnet, VIVA LA GAIA!
    Last edited by Darth Cid; 04-10-2006 at 05:54 PM.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can disprove your theory by saying this:

Most of the people who play FFIX also played FFVII, VIII, X, and X-2, and never even TOUCHED the old generation games. That makes them stupid, retarded fanboys who like it just because it is mainstream, and everyone else likes it. FFIX was made as a tribute, and Square knew it; but they offered something new; actual personalities of characters based on REAL people.
    Some of the people who played IX who actually did play the old games first are a bit alienated by it because of it being like VII and VIII (graphics-wise only), with a plot from the old-school.

Ohh, wait, that just reinforces your position. DARN!! MY DIRTY EMO TEARS CRY LAMENTATIONS FOR CLOUD

I couldn't say it with a straight face...

People dislike the game because it is believeable. Considering how dumb and whiny the new generation of gamers is, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came in here and said the game was hard, or boring, or not like FFVII, so therefore is unlikeable.

Half the people in the world also WANT to be emo. Therefore, they must disdain everything that gives any remote possiblity of joy to anyone else, despite the fact that they are dumb idiots. And the attention spans. I would not be surprised if someone stopped reading your speech half way through and respionded with a HILARIOUS one-liner that was easily disproved by your next letter.

Garnet- Eyecandy
    Aren't most royalty/celebrities able to fall under such a category? They get gay people tending to their every need 24/7. Of course they look like eye candy; they don't actually have to DO anything,

Armarant- Wow, someone in the game with a personality similar to Cloud and you don't like it. You just can't please people.
    Well, Amarant has morals. Suddenly a good guy has to have no morals if he at one point worked for the enemy? Sucks for Leonheart, Cecil, Kain, Rydia (yes, the 5 year old girl is the enemy), the ENTIRE cast of FFVI, most of VII, VIII, and half of the party in FFIX.

Zidane: I fail to understand, are you agreeing or disargeeing that people need to stop whining about FFIX?

I did find it boring. But not because I'm some kid with a short attention span. Both IX and VIII were a chore to finish for me. And X I still haven't beaten. Which is why I say I'm falling out of FFs. And having played all the games that IX references didn't really help me to appreciate the game. But I also don't like Chrono Trigger. A widely loved Square game. But I refuse to bash games that are respected. And people that respect them give a lot of valid reasons for that respect. And I'll respect that myself. I just can't share their appreciation. But I won't go saying its a bad game. Just not my style of game. Or rather. Not my style of RPG

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ZidaneAndGarnet
    Zidane: I fail to understand, are you agreeing or disargeeing that people need to stop whining about FFIX?
    I am agreeing with you 100%.

I did find it boring. But not because I'm some kid with a short attention span. Both IX and VIII were a chore to finish for me. And X I still haven't beaten. Which is why I say I'm falling out of FFs. And having played all the games that IX references didn't really help me to appreciate the game. But I also don't like Chrono Trigger. A widely loved Square game. But I refuse to bash games that are respected. And people that respect them give a lot of valid reasons for that respect. And I'll respect that myself. I just can't share their appreciation. But I won't go saying its a bad game. Just not my style of game. Or rather. Not my style of RPG
    For anyone else who wants to complain about FFIX, make your statement like this guy. He knows how to defend his opinion.
    Plus three respect points. You are now at IX + 3.

Garnet: Well, please allow me to be the second to thank you for your honesty. In saying, you refuse to downgrade a game you don't like knowing others enjoy it shows you have true honor as a gamer.

Nah, I really wanted to like IX. In fact, I did like a lot of it. Who can't love Vivi? And I adored Steiner's personality and comic relief. And Freya was so mature and respectable. I really don't know why it suddenly lost my interest really..

It's a fun game... i havent played the originals so i suppose you have the right to call me a retarded fan boy and what not but i dont have a snes and i havent found them for ps1 newhere (havent looked too hard)...

This game was fun and all i have to say is at least it doesnt get as much crap as X-2 (Off Course X-2 deserves it more!!)

PS- lol i have Off Course! stuck in my head... lol stupid cloud

You didn't need to catch the references to enjoy it. Vivi and his kin was based off of black mages of the days of old. But not knowing/realizing that didn't make him any less cute.

I knew he was based off of old black mages but i did not find him cute...

He was nifty but i didnt like to use him in battle

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

I love FFIX, almost as much as FFTactics, but only because it's a welcome change from the previous two in-series games. FF7 and FF8 didn't seem too fantastical to me: fine places, but the world wasn't kind of adult-ish with respect to architecture and general citizenry. FFIX is a double-whammy right off the bat: a world filled with mist, a huge sword sticking out of a castle, a main character with a monkey's tail, hippo- and fish-people, moogles... I found it a breath of fresh air from the rigidity that FF8 presented (and the soundtrack is more adventurous, I'd say, too). The game is generous in that it's set in a wondrous world, which is something that earlier games lacked severely -- the return to a medieval-type setting paints a great picture. Another tidbit I enjoyed was that all the NPCs had _names_. It helps give a little personality to the game's fairly unimportant characters, which tempered my interest a bit. The previous two games forewent that nicety. =/

I can respect criticism, though. The game pays homage to earlier icons and cameos, and as such, has a bond of rehashed features. The characters are all based off of a single trait they've internalized a bit, which you can see if you let the opening title run a bit (Virtue, etc.). It's so easy to pick on everyone -- take Amarant. He's the typical "I strive for power and I only like power, etc." guy. He's not that interesting, says stereotypical power-hunter quotes ("Come on, fight me!") and stuff. Personally, it never mattered to me, 'cause I thought he was intriguing just because background is given little by little; anyone who's hinged on that aspect of his personality and is put off is, by my standards, completely put off for a legitimate reason. Not everyone has to understand immediately or at all.

Unlimited Hentai Works Twilight Edge's Avatar

Hey shotgunnova,wasn't it a crystal sticking out of the castle?

I agree with ZidaneAndGarnet. I really like FFIX, in fact I like it ultimately. Vivi is my most favourite character followed by Kimahri (FFX).

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

It's a fun game... i havent played the originals so i suppose you have the right to call me a retarded fan boy and what not but i dont have a snes and i havent found them for ps1 newhere (havent looked too hard)...

This game was fun and all i have to say is at least it doesnt get as much crap as X-2 (Off Course X-2 deserves it more!!)

PS- lol i have Off Course! stuck in my head... lol stupid cloud
    Zidane: We won't call you "retarded", just pointing out that VII and VIII aren't perfect works of art either, so perhaps those who make hate threads about FFIX should take the time to look at their game's bad points.

Hey shotgunnova,wasn't it a crystal sticking out of the castle?
    Zidane: That's a common misconception, it's a huge sword. After Alexandria is wrecked, you can return to the town in Disc 3(after the haircut and airship scenes) and Disc 4, and a guy walking around in the back alley, where Vivi and Puck met, will make a comment about how the castle doesn't look the same now that sword is off. We don't have it quoted though.

lol Zidane. You're the only person I know that would make a thread like this

But yeah, FF IX is a great game. One of my favorites actually

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html