Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII help thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Schovitz
    Okay sorry for not believing you man, it was kind of hard top find it in that room I never bothered to turn to the back wall so I got it now and I found the Sea Dragon, it was in the same place that I came from anyway.

Now what is up is Dhoulmagus, this guy is sho hard man and after 3 triesd I beat him but then found out that he has a 2nd form and I was doomed, only 2mp for Eight, and Angelo and Yangus knocked out Zing failed 3 times in a row and I died. Any suggestions?

Here are my characters stats Eight:lv.30 Yanguslv.30 Jessica:lv29 Angelo:lv28
    I feel your pain, this happened to me too. You just have to level up. Well, that's what I did, anyway.

If you die, don't reset it, as you'll just wind up back at the last chapel you saved, and you'll still have the experience you gained right up until you died, including what you gained from Dhoulmagus' first form. Try exploring the world map using the ship. There are a few islands that may yield tougher monsters with more exp.

That's my main beef with this game. There's an obscene amount of levelling required throughout the game.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Yeah I hope this isn't the end of the game because I found a desert on the northern continent by Trodain and found vicious scorpions, Will I eventuall have to go back to that desert?

haha....you are FAR from the end of the game, trust me.

desert near Trodain.....you mean the one where you got the ship?
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

No I might be on another continent there's a Chapel there I think it might be at the same place with the Mystical Spring I was looking for the magic key there before I knew where it was.

The mystical spring is on the same continent as baccarat. its actually just south of baccarat.

There are a few islands north of Trodain. Savella Cathedral is there, which you will need to visit later, but you can go there now. There is a weapon shop and an armour shop there, although I don't know if you already have more powerful gear. Princess Minnie's Castle is in the north too, you can visit there to start the mini-medal quest (no doubt you already have a bunch collected).

As well, there a few islands in the south of the map that you can visit, including the Isle of Neos. The monsters are fairly powerful there, perhaps too much for you characters now, although I'm not sure.

There's also an unmarked island, to the south-south-west, beyond the extents of the world map. You can get a platinum sword there.

Anyways, there's still quite a few places to visit, explore, and to level up at.

And you don't have to go back to the desert where you got the airship.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I beat Dhoulmagus with a party in the mid-20s, your levels are just fine. Remember, in case you didn't know, you don't have to fight his first form (the most annoying, to me.) after you beat him once, even if you lose. You can go back and right away, fight the second form.

If Jessica has learned Insulate (or Magic Barrier) from Staves, that helps against the annoying fire and ice attacks.

Unless you already beat Dhoulmagus...

Edit: You should be able to withstand the Neos monsters with that party, I'm sure. Fight Gold Golems. They don't appear extremely often, but they drop 750 gold or so. Yes, that's alot. (They appear in the Island of Neos.) There's also a decent Gold Golem pallette swap monster there, that you can add onto your Monster Team. (I don't know what determines how those monsters appear, however.)

I beat Dhoulmagus wth a party hovering around lv30 as well. And I didn't even know about tension at the time. If I could offer a suggestion, it's that you pump Angelo's bow skills. Right before I fought him I learned Shining Shot and it did wonders on his first form. I abused that and Falcon Slash...
    "When life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then try to find someone whose life is giving them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

I can't beat the Dragovian Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth's Cage
    I can't beat the Dragovian Lord.
    Level up, then.

I beat him in the first trial. Upon my demise when trying to defeat him the second trial, I just got completely sick and tired of fighting liquid metal slimes, metal king slimes and metal slimes to gain a few levels.

This is the one thing that I dislike about this game.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

I leveled up. I got lazy. I only got the sword.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by crazybayman

You whippersnappers don't know a thing about real power leveling :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X

Anyone can "power level" if they have enough time on their hands. I'm sure glad I don't. I don't find myself particulary interested in spending all day, every day fighting metal slimes, so I can gain a few levels just so I can can beat a more powerful (and hence different colour) dragon.

So is their anything else to this Dragovian Sidequest other than spending an obscene amount of time levelling, just so I can beat a new and different colour dragon?

ooooo the suspense :rolleyes2
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

What is up with Rhapthrone? He is fat genie thing. Doubleyou tee ef?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X

Anyone can "power level" if they have enough time on their hands. I'm sure glad I don't. I don't find myself particulary interested in spending all day, every day fighting metal slimes, so I can gain a few levels just so I can can beat a more powerful (and hence different colour) dragon.

So is their anything else to this Dragovian Sidequest other than spending an obscene amount of time levelling, just so I can beat a new and different colour dragon?

ooooo the suspense :rolleyes2
    Well, I was making fun about how easy power-leveling is in modern RPGs, as compared to Dragon Quest games which are more traditional.

Well, by beating a new dragon, you can get a wish. You can pick from a new set of Dragovian equipment, a better Alchemy Pot(no waiting time.), and a strong Monster team monster (A Metal King Slime). If there are any other I forgot, sorry.

I chose the Alchemy Pot upgrade, c'mon, no wait time?! Yes please! After that, I got the Dragovian armour and helmet, to change Hero's appearance. (He looks pretty cool.) The Dragovian sword isn't that great, in my opinion, the Liquid Metal Sword and Liquid King Lance (or whatever it's called) is better, you can attack four times if you leveled up Lances with Liquid King Spear.

And of course, the Dragons give massive EXP and Gold, easy enough to power level, if you're strong enough. Once you beat every form and get every wish, you can fight all the dragons in succession, plus a new dragon that's much stronger afterwards, but the only reward is the immense EXP/Gold reward, and that you must be pretty awesome at DQVIII

Those are neat prizes, no doubt. No waiting time for the alchemy pot, huh? I'll probably go for that when I start playing DQ8 again......

Yeah, you can get great exp and gold for defeating a form of the Lord of the Dragovians.......that still requires a retarded amount of time spent fighting metal slimes, up on that same remote mountain near Rydon's Tower, to get to a high enough level. I swear, I'll be seeing those same surroundings on that moutain in my nightmares, due to frustration of almost defeating a liquid metal slime or metal king slime, just to have it run away

Still, a ridiculous amount of levelling to beat some dragons. don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this game, its just that it requires you to spend WAY too much time levelling. Yeah, its good that's its a little more challenging than FF, and other RPGs, but its just too tedious and time consuming at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth's Cage
    What is up with Rhapthrone? He is fat genie thing.
    Heh, no kidding. I was hoping for a much more elaborate final boss, too.
    Last edited by crazybayman; 04-05-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.