Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII help thread

Default Dragon Quest VIII help thread

Hey people I'm wondering in DQ8 what's the recipe for a thief's key, I'm wondering if I missed it. I'm currently at this city called Baccarat or whatever, the point is that I've just got on a ship and walked to a new city. So what's the recipe for a thief's key and what' is it used for, I think it's too unlock doors and chests right?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Iron nail + bronze knife

It's used to unlock some locked chests. If you already found the Magic Key (which you should have by now), you don't need the Thief's Key, since that one unlocks all the same things plus more.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Nah I haven't found it yet, I huess I'm way off.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's at Trodian Castle. It's probably locked for the Thief Key to open. That would make sense, actually.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The recipe for the key can be found in the very first town. Go behind the counter of the weapon shop at night and talk to the guy. He'll tell you to check the bell at the top of the church.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember never getting the thief's key, but I still got the magic key. So I don't think it's neccessary, but it helps to get some of the treasures early

you should just get them both
    Sig height limit is 250px.
    [!]

Hiei King of the Black Flame Dragon --!>

Yep......so if you decide to zoom back (or use a chimera wing) to get back to Farebury, there's loads of chests on that first continent that require the thief's key to open.

But before you do that, go to the cat tamer's lodge (I forget the name). Its near Baccarat on the map. Do a little sidequest, and you'll be able to call a sabrecat, which you can ride. This will come in handy finding all those missed chests after you get the thief's key.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chateau Felix! (My favorite area in the game...kitties... )

I can't imagine walking through Argonia...ugh...the Sabre-Witten is a must for me. (And he's a kitty!)

Umm so where did you say the magic key is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Schovitz
    Umm so where did you say the magic key is?
    In chest in Trodain Castle. You may, and probably will need the thief's key to open the chest.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Ahh, I 've just checked the entire place and the only chests that I can find are behind an iron door that won't let me through because it's locked, are you sure it's here? Is there a recipe for it?

Oh and 2nd: Now I'm supposed to be finding a sea dragon to restore the magic mirror back to life It's somewhere in the north but I can't find it.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There should be a canal that goes through the entire continent, you have to go through it. You'll run into the Sea Dragon as a normal enemy there, when he uses this big light attack, you have to select the mirror as an item. It'll 'recharge', and you can run away. Of course, you can kill it, but it doesn't give alot of exp or gold.

And I'm positive I didn't use the Thief's Key, I never got it in the game. I do remember getting the Magic Key, so...

Ahh, I 've just checked the entire place and the only chests that I can find are behind an iron door that won't let me through because it's locked, are you sure it's here? Is there a recipe for it?.
    I'm pretty sure it is in a chest in Trodain castle, and there's no recipe for it. I believe its through the castle's main doors, go left, and on your left is 2 big doors. The room beyond should hold a bunch of pots or barrels, and bags on the wall. Be sure to search these for treasure. Most important, there's a chest there as well with the magic key in it.

Oh and 2nd: Now I'm supposed to be finding a sea dragon to restore the magic mirror back to life It's somewhere in the north but I can't find it.
    Yes, through the canal in the Western continent, which separates the north from the south, save a bridge-like formation of landmass (which connects the north and south, and on which sits the town of Arcadia). You'll encounter the Sea Dragon in the water here.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Okay sorry for not believing you man, it was kind of hard top find it in that room I never bothered to turn to the back wall so I got it now and I found the Sea Dragon, it was in the same place that I came from anyway.

Now what is up is Dhoulmagus, this guy is sho hard man and after 3 triesd I beat him but then found out that he has a 2nd form and I was doomed, only 2mp for Eight, and Angelo and Yangus knocked out Zing failed 3 times in a row and I died. Any suggestions?

Here are my characters stats Eight:lv.30 Yanguslv.30 Jessica:lv29 Angelo:lv28