Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What did you think about Sailor Moon?

Quote Originally Posted by aisle_s
    I just started re-watching the first season after like...easily 10 years of not seeing a single ep. I was about five or six when the dub came on the station YTV and they played it through to the end of the second season (i think that one...with the Doom Tree?) and it was the first anime I ever watched. Two days ago I started watching subs on YouTube and found out that there are a few episodes that were never dubbed.
    yeah, and if you compare the episodes lists, japanese, to DUB, theres a lot less, and also the DUB season 2 has different episodes in it then the japanese (83-89 i think)

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

MJN, you dont have one ounce of proof. Stop making stuff up.

Anyway. aisle, the episode you're asking about was dubbed, actually. Its weird what things they'll cut and why, and then they'll leave things that are just whacky. But yeah, the get fit episode was there, just butchered as always.

The dub left so much out, and it's really a shame. Especially the episode on Sailorvenus' past, which added so much depth to her character.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    MJN, you dont have one ounce of proof. Stop making stuff up.

Anyway. aisle, the episode you're asking about was dubbed, actually. Its weird what things they'll cut and why, and then they'll leave things that are just whacky. But yeah, the get fit episode was there, just butchered as always.
    No, it was one of the episodes from the first season that was never dubbed, for who knows what reason. There was a scene in it where Umino flipped up Haruna's skirt, but I don't see why they couldn't have just cut that out with all the cutting they did in all the other episodes.

http://www.smuncensored.com/comparison.php?episodeid=2
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

That was the fortune tellers house episode. I'm refering to the weight loss episode, which was dubbed. See where I said the 'get fit' episode? *points*

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

DMKA, that link is interesting.

The fortune teller's episode im positive was never brought here, and as Abom said the Get Fit! episode was...I guess I just don't remember it (i was 5 or 6 afterall).

There's another episode called like "Usagi plays a Cupid" that wasn't brought over here, it's got to do with a musician or something...I haven't watched the whole sub yet.

I'm on episode 6 or so now that I've begun watching the whole series over, in a subbed form on youtube...the episodes they cut were relatively good, especially the "The Perfume of Youmas! Chanellas steal love!" episode i liked alot.

Most of my friends find the names of the japanese episodes funny because they're so long, but I personally like them better than the ones they were given in the dubbed versions...anyone else dislike dubbed ep. names?

Actually, that link is far more than interesting...it's really really good, and i've now taken to crawling that page for the next 3 hours.

FFXIV Character

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were talking about that one.

Yeah, I actually still have a recording of that weight loss episode somewhere. It was indeed dubbed, and I remember them showing Molly on the exercise bike twice, the second time sped up. Yet another of the misterous edits that have no apparent reasoning behind them.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah, I prefer the Japanese names. They're far superior.

The Cupid episode was cut because of Usagi using the transformation pen to sneak into a bar, even though she only orders a soda, or some sort of non-alcoholic beverage. Though, oddly enough, they left in two seperate episode where Usagi actually does get drunk, though on accident.

Man, all this talk reminds me of just how much I love this show.

FFXIV Character

The Cupid episode was cut because of Usagi using the transformation pen to sneak into a bar, even though she only orders a soda, or some sort of non-alcoholic beverage.
    That episode had absolutely nothing objectional in it. They could of easily just called the "bar" something else, like they did consantly with other things in the show.
    I like Kung-Fu.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Yeah, I prefer the Japanese names. They're far superior.

Man, all this talk reminds me of just how much I love this show.
    I prefer Usagi to Serena...I don't know how they got Serena from Usagi. I also like Umino to Melvin, Mamoru(sp) to Darien etc.

I remember in the dub that the episode where Usagi meets Sailor Mercury (Ami in the dub...i've not gotten to this point in the sub) was within the first 3 or 4 episodes...but i'm on episode 6 in the sub and it's still not there yet.

All in all, i like the subs far more.

FFXIV Character

Striking Teek (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They got Serena from Serenity. It's not too much of a stretch.

What did you think about Sailor Moon?
    I'd tap it.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Most 'questionable' episodes could have easily been fixed, but they chose not to. You know Im speaking from their reasons, not my point of view. I wouldnt have cut any of them.

And yes, Serena came from Serenity, which is how the Japanese pronounce Selenity. Of course, it was ridiculous that she was also Princess Serena, especially when Prince Darien didnt recognize being called Darien, but answered to Prince Darien when Beryl spoke to him. I much prefer Princess Selenity and Prince Endymion.

Anyway, Ami Mizuno is Sailormercury's name, and she's known as Amy Anderson in the dub.

FFXIV Character

Anyway, Ami Mizuno is Sailormercury's name, and she's known as Amy Anderson in the dub.
    It's funny how in a Super S episode they called her "Amy Anderson" but in the S episode where Amy stops Amara and Michelle from killing Hotaru the member of the Witches 5 who held the same academic ranking as Amy (forget her name) came in and called them all by first and last name and called her "Amy Mizuno".

I think Sailor Moon is the only anime dub that was that inconsistent from episode to episode with it's own self re-written scripts. It's fascinating.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

They also call her Amy Anderson in the first season... or rather, when she answers the phone when Greg calls, she says "Anderson residence".

As inconsistant as the dub is, the translated manga is even worse.

FFXIV Character

As inconsistant as the dub is, the translated manga is even worse.
    That's scary.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yep. I think Mandee has all the manga we bought, but basically they would switch between names on a fairly regular basis. What bothered me the most was near the end, with the Animamates, when they called Lead Crow Red Crow instead. It just threw off the whole thing and pissed me off.

On the whole, its a fairly decent translation, ignoring the inconsistancies... and really, it was a trendsetter. Now we can buy translated manga with ease at almost all major bookstores. Mixx, as crappy a company as they were, really did us a big favor. Now I just wish we could get a better company to translate them again, hopefully with bigger pages.