Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What did you think about Sailor Moon?

Default Oh Sailor Moon...

How I loved you.

But I don't understand why they cancelled it though.

I liked it when it first came out, and it had the original voices. But that's just me.
    Srsly?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Post From Another Forum
    That was the most smurfed over series ever. US censorship could bearly make one eppisode out of 3 or 4 shows. Everyone was gay, bi, les, or nude at least one whole show. Back then none of that was near alowable to air. They had to kill any original script to meet censorship requirements. Uranus and Neptune were changed from les to platonic loving cousins or somethin. One of them was changed to a guy. Also one of the aliens with that doom tree was changed to a girl... DAMNIT, everything was so smurfed up I can't remember who was what, what loved who, and how the damn thing even passed as a posible show for kids! The manga was good though. If you were able to get you parents to buy it because it wasn't sold to kids.
    ^I want to watch that version

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Haha, I remember listening to rumors like that. So ridiculous.

Does anyone have any clue where its possible to obtain the english version of the manga? I can't seem to find it anywhere....to buy or download, its just nowhere...I don't even know how many volumes long it is...;__;
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I recall seeing alot of it at my local comics store, and my girlfriend does own the first few volumes. (They're kinda thin though...)

So, maybe local comics store for you?

Maybe...I know of one nearby, maybe I'll check it out...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Yeah, the dub is awesome to make fun of. My friend and I have recently taken to reciting old dub lines (especially quoting Molly and Nephlite) and it cracks everyone up.
    Wasn't half of the dub converstation in the episode where (SPOILER)Nephlite dies between him and Molly about chocolate parfaits? I remember wondering what the hell a chocolate parfait was back then too.
    I like Kung-Fu.

The conversation is still about chocolate parfaits in the Japanese version, I believe. Haven't watched it in a while, but I'm pretty sure.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah, the chocolate parfait conversation is more or less the same. The main amusement comes from Molly's God awful voice. She's wonderful to mock.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Molly's voice is great because not only is it a Brooklyn accent on a character set in Japan, but it's a fake Brooklyn accent on a character set in Japan.

I do recall the cholotate parfait conversation in the original, but I remember it being alot more stupid and annoying in the dub, and lacking in emotional significance. Though, it's been years since I saw that episode in English, and there is the voice difference.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

A sweet young girl with a bizarre accent gets sentimental about a particular dessert with a dying negadude. The chocolate parfait bit sticks with me more than any other part of the show.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Zoecite was a dude in the anime also, it is just they change him to a girl in the dubbed.
    That's only half true.

There are TWO japanese versions one (The first) had him as a man (And Gay) the 2nd she was a GIRL (And Straight). These to versions were made in japan to give people a choice of how they wanted it to be I know this because I have seen for my self.

When it was translated over to England (And dubbed to America..uhhh ) Only the FEMALE version was done, I don't know why that was in America but in England it's because it was the 80s and being gay wasn't stictly "normal" yet...

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Wasn't half of the dub converstation in the episode where (SPOILER)Nephlite dies between him and Molly about chocolate parfaits? I remember wondering what the hell a chocolate parfait was back then too.
    I though that Nephlite and Mollys love was really cute and almost cryed when he died, but that part just kinda took out the sadness! it was funny though, but a little annoying

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER
    Zoecite was a dude in the anime also, it is just they change him to a girl in the dubbed.
    That's only half true.

There are TWO japanese versions one (The first) had him as a man (And Gay) the 2nd she was a GIRL (And Straight). These to versions were made in japan to give people a choice of how they wanted it to be I know this because I have seen for my self.
    No, that isnt true in the least. Zoicite is a man in the anime. He was never a girl in ANY Japanese version. I have proof, and I know you dont, so please dont spread utterly ridiculous rumors.

The Japanese didnt give two whits about Zoicite and Kunzite being homosexuals. Its a recurring theme in the anime.

edit: A few facts for those of you who dont know.

Zoicite has been a male in all original versions. In the manga, in the anime, and in the live action. In the anime he is voiced by Keiichi Nanba (also note that there are NO other credits this character, only ONE voice actor, which is proof enough), the same seiyuu also voices Umino (Melvin). In the live action he is played by Yosh<i></i>ito Endoh.

Zoicite is one of the shiitenou... which roughly means 'Four Heavenly Kings'. They are something of a mirror to the four female Inner Senshi... and of course, the shiitenou are all male.

The only times Zoicite is seen as a 'female' are in various dubs for other countries. In all these, he still retains his flat chest... he's simply an extremely feminine looking man, and the dubs use the easy route and give him a female voice.

Oh, there is one instance where Zoicite appears as a female... when he dresses up as Sailormoon in order to trick Tuxedo Mask. However, he doesnt 'become' a female in the least, he just uses his feminine appearance and a pretty costume.
    Last edited by TheAbominatrix; 03-27-2006 at 11:50 PM.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Thanks for clearing that up. It's been 7 years since I cared/watched the show, so I don't remember it that well.